Batman: The Animated Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

That last disc is full of winners, imo. I suppose "Judgement Day" is a disappointing finale episode for the series, but as a closer to Harvey/Two-Face's arc in the DCAU, I think it's pretty potent stuff.

At the end of the day, I think those final few episodes closed BTAS on a high note. Considering that TNBA was so inconsistent, it was a good thing they didn't make more episodes and focused on Beyond and Superman.

If I remember correctly, you were going to do Justice League next, right? I'll be interested in your thoughts on that series as well.  :)

Spark Of Spirit

He's going through season 1? Ouch.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 09:01:46 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 04, 2014, 08:58:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 08:54:25 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 04, 2014, 08:32:12 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 08:03:02 PM
Judgement Day would have worked if either Harvey died or Two Face never came back. Since it was the last episode we'll never really know if he came back, but I would like to think it was the end of Two Face in the DCAU.

Kind of a sad and lonely end for a man who had a chance.
Either he finally gets better or dies, either way going on as Two Face forever would be a worse fate.

I agree. That's why I say Judgement Day is a sad episode to end his arc with. He's just left behind bars still lost in madness.
True. Though it's been awhile since I saw it but I recall Harvey saying he was going to get real help this time and see it through at the end. I'd like to believe that he did.

I think the villains who I always believed deserved the most closure (putting aside the Joker, who's the main villain and obviously gets an entire Batman Beyond movie for closure) were Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, and Harley, as they are the most sympathetic of the main villains. Freeze's arc does get a conclusion (though a sad one), and as we see in Return of the Joker, Harley got the conclusion we wanted for her. She is shown to have long since given up crime and even scolds her grandchildren for doing wrong. We don't see what happened to Two-Face, however. But like you say, hopefully he was one day saved.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 09:14:14 PM
He's going through season 1? Ouch.

I think JL season 1 is better than New Batman Adventures.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 04, 2014, 07:52:49 PM
What's next on the list, Avaitor?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 08:03:02 PM
To echo Talon, what are you doing next?

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 04, 2014, 09:12:08 PM
If I remember correctly, you were going to do Justice League next, right? I'll be interested in your thoughts on that series as well.  :)

Yeah, that's probably next, although if you could tell by my last couple of posts, I was getting kind of tired of these by the end. That's mostly because TNBA is so mediocre, though.

Although I do want to see a couple of Unlimited episodes again before I start Justice League up. I remember even less of that part of the show than I do certain episodes here. And I kind of want to switch these up with something non-super hero related, but I can't think of anything else which would grab the site's attention.

The Simpsons comes to mind, but I don't have the earliest seasons and I wouldn't know where to stop, plus I'm hella rusty at a lot of points of the show. Futurama, maybe, although I'd rather get the chance to sit myself down and watch the last season-ish before I do. I can't think of anything else, really. I don't think a more serialized show like Gargoyles would fit here, EK, CartoonX or someone else would be more of an appropriate choice for South Park, and there isn't as much interest in most other series on here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

For The Simpsons I would stop at season 10. That's the first overly flawed season and the last one that has more hits than misses (even if barely).

But I could go for some Justice League, though I don't think season 1 would leave you with much to say.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm, I dunno, I think Gargoyles could work in this format. Even though the show has ongoing character and story arcs it's structured with mostly self-contained episodes, so I think it'd be easy enough to talk about each episode.

What about Ed, Edd, n' Eddy Avaitor? We all know how much you love that show and I'm sure you've watched it more than enough times to have something great to say about most episodes. I think it could work in this format just as well as anything else. For that matter, so could any other Cartoon Cartoon, Nicktoon, Disney Afternoon series, etc. You don't have to limit yourself to just adult sitcoms and action series. I think you have a lot of choices you could talk well about.  :)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 10:14:59 PM
For The Simpsons I would stop at season 10. That's the first overly flawed season and the last one that has more hits than misses (even if barely).

I'd go until season 11 myself, just to close with "Behind the Laughter." I wish that was where the series ended, honestly.

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 04, 2014, 10:22:42 PM
What about Ed, Edd, n' Eddy Avaitor? We all know how much you love that show and I'm sure you've watched it more than enough times to have something great to say about most episodes. I think it could work in this format just as well as anything else. For that matter, so could any other Cartoon Cartoon, Nicktoon, Disney Afternoon series, etc. You don't have to limit yourself to just adult sitcoms and action series. I think you have a lot of choices you could talk well about.  :)
The thing is, though, usually action shows and animated comedies for older audiences are what attracts people on here more, from what I've noticed. I'd love to talk about DuckTales or Darkwing Duck or TaleSpin, but I'm not sure who'd be interested on here besides you and Spark.

And I actually want to go back to my Cartoon Cartoon series, now that you mention it. With at least the first seasons being available on Netflix now, it'll be easier to find Dexter and PPG in full for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

As long as it's not something like Foster's I could go with anything.

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 04, 2014, 10:22:42 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2014, 10:14:59 PM

I'd go until season 11 myself, just to close with "Behind the Laughter." I wish that was where the series ended, honestly.
But then he would have to watch the rest of season 11. (Yuck)

I really, really dislike season 11 and 12.

Avaitor

Yeah, those are the pits.

I can't really think of too many animated series I have in full though. Besides the DCAU shows (also excluding Beyond), all I can think of are Daria and Freakazoid!

New blog!

talonmalon333

I heard that, initially, Mask of the Phantasm was supposed to mark the end of Batman: The Animated Series. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Avaitor

That would be news to me if true.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Forgot to respond here. Anyway, I heard this news from GSF.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 28, 2013, 03:58:12 PMBTAS got renewed after MOTP and that movie was supposed to be the end of that series so by no means did it die fast to make room for Batman Beyond.

I remember I used to think that Mask of the Phantasm was intended to be the last story in Batman TAS, chronologically. To me, it always seemed like that movie marked the end of the Joker, where Andrea held him in that explosion and the last we hear of him is his laughter. Probably because it felt like a fitting end to the Joker, him going out laughing. This was before I saw Return of the Joker.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, was The Joker supposed to be dead there and then they retconned it? I always assumed he escaped. You guys are really making me want to complete the series and rewatch the movies.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I always assumed she didn't kill him because Bruce asked her not to and it was the last thing she could do for him.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 14, 2014, 02:52:35 AM
Hmmm, was The Joker supposed to be dead there and then they retconned it? I always assumed he escaped. You guys are really making me want to complete the series and rewatch the movies.

I'm saying that's what I believed when I was younger.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 14, 2014, 10:59:14 AM
I always assumed she didn't kill him because Bruce asked her not to and it was the last thing she could do for him.

Well as we see, the Joker survived, so maybe she did do that.