First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Excluding counting both Dooms and ignoring everything I haven't played..such as Fear:

Halo
Doom 2
TimeSplitters 2

I'm pretty sure I'd take Perfect Dark's multiplayer over TS2's but I hate PD's campaign. TimeSplitter's decent as far as I know story mode is what gets it the spot along with its great multiplayer.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love TS2 (personally I think it's better than GE and PD, myself), but it just barely missed out for me. That's just how strong of a game F.E.A.R is, IMO.

Also, do we not have a TPS thread? I could've sworn that we did.

Oh well, just to save myself some time, even though it doesn't fit in this thread:

Max Payne
Resident Evil 4
Vanquish

I'm not even going to ask yes or no. That is the Holy Trinity of TPS games. It's just fact. I do love Alan Wake, though. If it were a square I'd include that game as well.

gunswordfist

Still need to play it. TS2 is my favorite game from that generation. I do still need to beat Halo on Legendary mode though. That mode me fall back in love with the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That reminds me that I need to do the same. I got all the way to the end of Two Betrayals on Legendary, but the I stopped and never got back to it. That said, I already got past the hardest parts of the game on Legendary, so I'm certain that I could clear the rest without too much trouble.

gunswordfist

I assumed you already beat it. Like you, Legendary is what really got me into the game. I waited like 10 years to actually really play it though. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just popped HCEA back in and finally resumed playing it on Legendary after a 2-year hiatus and immediately remembered why I stopped. The rocket-launcher wielding Flood are just so damn cheap. You can be playing expertly but these guys will just come out of nowhere and blast a rocket straight in your face, and since The a Flood come in swarms, it's nearly impossible to tell if one of them is carrying a rocket launcher, so you don't know which one to avoid or to attempt to take out first.

Anyways, I usually have a habit of killing every single enemy that I come across, but since I was near the end of the level I just made a mad-dash and after a few attempts I just got to the end while completely bypassing the last few fights (I just love that this game allows you to do that if you know how to skip them). The final major fight with the Covenant would have been insanely hard and far too long to endure, and I know because I've done it before on a Normal and Heroic modes. There are just so many enemies that it's not even funny.

What is funny is that I remember that in an interview with Bungie about Halo: Reach, they said that they could now use the power of the XBOX360 to do stuff that they could never do before, such as creating a scenario where you were surrounded by loads of enemies, including about 30 Elites. Yet I never noticed anything in the double-digits at all with the amount you ever encountered in the game in a single fight (except for maybe Firefight mode, and even then I think it was just barely 10 at a time). Yet this game literally has at least a dozen Elites in that single fight all spawned at once, and the game doesn't lag a bit. And that's in addition to all of the Grunts, Jackals, Hunters, Wraiths, AND even The FUCKING Flood included in that battle as well. So yeah, Bungie was full of shit with that statement, but in the plus side, it's insanely amazing that they were able to cram all of that shirt in on the original XBOX and not sacrifice the game's performance one bit.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2014, 11:40:07 PM
I just popped HCEA back in and finally resumed playing it on Legendary after a 2-year hiatus and immediately remembered why I stopped. The rocket-launcher wielding Flood are just so damn cheap. You can be playing expertly but these guys will just come out of nowhere and blast a rocket straight in your face, and since The a Flood come in swarms, it's nearly impossible to tell if one of them is carrying a rocket launcher, so you don't know which one to avoid or to attempt to take out first.
Now I remember why my friend and I never played through Legendary a second time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Hmm, never really thought about enemy count in Halo 1. But then again, I've never gotten that far in Legendary.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

But it's really only 2 levels where those are a problem (The Library being the other one). I don't recall encountering them on the last 2 levels, or if I did they were very few and far in between.

And those are a problem on any difficulty, anyways. Not just Legendary. The rest of the difficulty is awesome, especially fighting the Covenant.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2014, 04:14:47 PM
Holy Trinity of FPS games:

DOOM 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
F.E.A.R.

Yes or no?

I'd include Half-Life, but I used F.E.A.R. as the stand-in for it because it's better. This is fact.
I basically agree. Personally, I'd say that the Holy Trinity is Doom 2, Halo, and Half-Life, but the Underdog Trio is Jedi Outcast, Painkiller, and F.E.A.R; the former are important milestone games that deliver a perfectly-balanced and complete package, while the latter are less popular but represent the genre's best in terms of raw mechanics.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I love Jedi Outcast, and even though it's technically an FPS, I don't really think of it as one. It's just so damn unique in that it switches to third person whenever you wield a Lightsaber, and to be honest, that's what I do for most of the game, so it feels more like an action/adventure game to me.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 22, 2014, 01:06:52 AM
While I love Jedi Outcast, and even though it's technically an FPS, I don't really think of it as one. It's just so damn unique in that it switches to third person whenever you wield a Lightsaber, and to be honest, that's what I do for most of the game, so it feels more like an action/adventure game to me.
I guess you're right. TimeSplitters 2 instead of that one, then. ;)

Also, your TPS list is inarguable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, TS2 is such a fun game. I also remember liking what I played of Future Perfect, though I think I still prefer the multiplayer from 2, but I do want to replay both games at some point.

gunswordfist

I need to try out everything on TS2's MP and also get Future Perfect. Basically so I can compare it to Perfect Dark. My current favorite multiplayer shooter.

gunswordfist

I need to play RE4 and Vanquish. Mikami rocks. The Evil Within should deliver.

For now my list is:
Max Payne 1 (won't put 2 in, but it would be 2nd)
Everything Or Nothing
Psi-Ops