Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

They've apparently been ending a few of their series recently in line with what they said last year about cleaning house and refocusing.

Considering how low their numbers have dropped that's probably a good thing. Think back to a year like 1995 and their current crop doesn't measure up. Back then they were running Conan, H2, Ranma 1/2, Major, Kyo Kara Ore Wa!!, Ushio & Tora, and Flame of Recca all at the same time. I couldn't name that many big series running now, even from creators that have made big hits before. I'm hoping Fujita's new series is something special.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

One thing that SS should consider doing is having Rumiko Takahashi end Rin-ne and start a new manga.  It's almost 30 volumes long and it still doesn't have even one-fifth of the sales of her previous SS works (the anime didn't seem to boost sales either).  If she went back to doing more "traditional" comedies or attempted another horror manga like Mermaid Saga (which a lot of people apparently want her to do), I think SS would be able to get another big hit from her.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That was a great read, and it really highlights why Takehiko is one of my favorite writers and artists of all time, manga or otherwise.

LumRanmaYasha

Weekly Manga Recap recently did a bonus episode about their all-time favorite fights in manga for patreon backers.

For those who can't download the episode, their picks were as follows:

Nik Freeman/Y Ruler of Time's Favorite Manga Fights (in no order):

Toriko vs. Tommyrod (Toriko)
Seina vs. Shin (Eyeshield 21)
Ruby vs. Norman (Pokemon Adventures)
Luffy vs. Lucci (One Piece)
Rock Lee vs. Gaara (Naruto)
Ichigo vs. Kenpachi (Bleach)
Takamura vs. Bryan Hawk (Hajime no Ippo)
Narushima vs. Sugawara (Shamo)
Natsuo vs. Sanae (Teppu)

Honorable Mentions:

Ichigo vs. Byakuya (Bleach)
Ussop vs. Perona (One Piece)

Chris Larios/RolloT's Favorite Manga Fights:

1 - Luffy vs. Lucci/Luffy vs. Ussop (One Piece)
2 - Jotaro vs. Dio (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
3 - Crowley vs. Jasdevi (D. Gray-Man)
4 - Sanosuke vs. Anji (Rurouni Kenshin)
5 - Rock Lee vs. Gaara (Naruto)
6 - Toriko vs. Tommyrod (Toriko)
7 - Beet vs. Grenade (Beet the Vandal Buster)
8 - Lambo vs. Levi (Reborn)
Jubei vs. Kazuki (Get Backers)
Natsu vs. Gajeel (Fairy Tail)

Honorable Mentions:

All of the Enies Lobby Fights (One Piece)
Deimon Devil Bats vs. Ojo White Knights (Eyeshield 21)
Gohan vs. Cell (Dragon Ball)

Pretty solid choices. Most of these are wildly popular and commonly agreed upon fan-favorite fights, and the less obvious ones that I know here I agree are pretty great.

Might rework my own favorite manga fights list sometime. I'd imagine it'd look a little different than the one I posted a couple years ago.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good choices, though the lack of Slam Dunk on either list is a bit of a letdown.

Takamura Vs. Bryan Hawk is my second favorite HnI fight, though I'd still have to say that I consider the Ippo Vs. Sendo re-match from the end of the anime to be the best in the series.

LumRanmaYasha

I always knew that if there's one manga I would ever buy the entirety of in japanese, it would be Urusei Yatsura.

My life is now complete.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Congratulations on completing your collection! :thumbup:

Sadly, my goal of one day collecting all of Ashita no Joe and Dragonball in their original Japanese prints is still at 0% on both ends. :(

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks!  :)

And believe me, I've been trying to collect the AnJ manga too, but I just can't seem to find any copies of the volumes at a reasonable price... :(

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2016, 03:57:28 PM
Congratulations on completing your collection! :thumbup:

Sadly, my goal of one day collecting all of Ashita no Joe and Dragonball in their original Japanese prints is still at 0% on both ends. :(

Can you read Japanese or is it just to have the volumes? I don't own any Japanese volumes of manga but if I could learn the language, I'd like to own Kongou Banchou and Ushio and Tora if they never get an US release.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks! I definitely feel honored and lucky to have been able to meet him.  :) Doubly so that he actually answered one of my questions, since Viz only took four between the Viz and Funimation twitter and facebook.  ;D