Favorite Disney Movies

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I know that the film has its critics, but I still very much like it. Tiana's probably my favorite princesses while Dr. Facilier is one of my favorite villains, and I especially like how his final confrontation was a smaller affair than Disney's used to, but had the right way to end his arc. And I also really like Ray, that scene in particular.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Tiana is definitely one of the better princesses. My favorites are still Belle, Merida, and Giselle (she still counts to me), but Tiana has character and does more than many other princesses. I really liked the music, too. Friends on the Other Side is great and has some phenomenal animation.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the movie is pretty strong. I never turn it off if I see it on TV just because I enjoy it so much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So I'm in the mood to rank my favorite songs from each of Disney's animated movies. I'm going to leave out films like Bambi and Sleeping Beauty which only have like one or two songs, as well as Winnie the Pooh, which I still haven't seen. I'll also keep in Nightmare, because let's be real, it has a more memorable soundtrack than most of Disney's movies.

Snow White- "I"m Wishing"/"One Song"
Pinocchio- "When You Wish Upon a Star"
Dumbo- "Baby Mine"
Cinderella- "So This is Love"
Alice in Wonderland- "In a World of My Own"
Peter Pan- "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!"
Lady and the Tramp- "Bellla Notte"
The Sword in the Stone- "That's What Makes the World Go Round"
The Jungle Book- "I Wanna Be Like You"
The Aristocats- "Thomas O'Malley"
Robin Hood- "Oo De Lally"
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh- "When the Rain Rain Rain Came Down"
Oliver & Company- "Why Should I Worry?"
The Little Mermaid- "Under the Sea"
Beauty and the Beast- "Something There"
Aladdin- "A Whole New World"
The Nightmare Before Christmas- "Jack's Lament"
The Lion King- "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"
Pocahontas- "Just Around the Riverbend"
The Hunchback of Notre Dame- "Heaven's Light"/"Hellfire"
Hercules- "I Won't Say I'm in Love""
Mulan- "I"ll Make a Man Out of You"
Tarzan- "Two Worlds"
Brother Bear- "Great Spirits"
The Princess and the Frog- "Friends on the Other Side"
Tangled- "When Will My Life Begin" (the reprisal in particular)
Frozen- "Let It Go"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 03, 2014, 09:10:37 PMSo I'm in the mood to rank my favorite songs from each of Disney's animated movies.
Ooh- fun! For my list below, full disclosure: I went through the list of every song. Even the ones DVDizzy did not list. Every one of the selections below was deliberately and carefully chosen per what I think.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Favorite: "Someday My Prince Will Come"
Best: "I'm Wishing/One Song"
Least Favorite / Worst: "Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum"

Pinocchio (1940)
Favorite: "When You Wish Upon a Star"
Best: "I've Got No Strings"
Least Favorite: "Give a Little Whistle"

Dumbo (1941)
Favorite: "Pink Elephants on Parade"
Best: "Pink Elephants on Parade"
Least Favorite: None

Bambi (1942)
Favorite: "Love is a Song"
Best: "Love is a Song"
Least Favorite: "Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song"

The Three Caballeros (1945)
Favorite: "Have You Been to Baia, Donald?"
Best: "You Belong to My Heart"
Least Favorite: "Lilongo"

Make Mine Music (1946)
Favorite: "After You've Gone"
Best: "After You've Gone"
Least Favorite: "The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met"

Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
Favorite: "Too Good to Be True"
Best: "My Favorite Dream"
Least Favorite: "What a Happy Day"

Melody Time (1948)
Favorite: "Once Upon a Wintertime"
Best: "Blame It on the Samba"
Least Favorite: "The Lord is Good to Me"

The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (1949)
Favorite: "The Headless Horseman"
Best: "The Headless Horseman"
Worst: "The Merrily Song"

Cinderella (1950)
Favorite: "So This is Love"
Best: "Oh Sing, Sweet Nightingale"
Least Favorite: "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Favorite: "Very Good Advice"
Best: "The Unbirthday Song"

Peter Pan (1953)
Favorite: "The Elegant Captain Hook"
Best: "The Elegant Captain Hook"
Least Favorite: "Your Mother and Mine"

Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Favorite: "Siamese Cat Song"
Best: "Siamese Cat Song"

Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Favorite: "Once Upon a Dream"
Best: "One Gift"

101 Dalmatians (1961)
Favorite: "Cruella De Vil"
Best: "Cruella De Vil"

The Sword in the Stone (1963)
Favorite: "Mad Madam Mim"
Best: "Higitus Figitus"
Least Favorite: "A Most Befuddling Thing"

The Jungle Book (1967)
Favorite: "Trust in Me"
Best: "The Bare Necessities"
Least Favorite: "That's What Friends Are For"

The Aristocats (1970)
Favorite: "Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat"
Best: "Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat"
Least Favorite: "Thomas O'Malley Cat"

Robin Hood (1973)
Favorite: "Love"
Best: "Oo De Lally"
Worst: "The Phony King of England"

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Favorite: "Heffalumps and Woozles"
Best: "Winnie the Pooh"

The Rescuers (1977)
Favorite: "Tomorrow is Another Day"
Best: "The Journey (Rescue Me)"

The Fox and the Hound (1981)
Favorite: None
Best: "Best of Friends"
Worst: All the Rest, especially "Lack of Education"

The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Favorite: "Let Me Be Good to You"
Best: "The World's Greatest Criminal Mind"
Least Favorite: "Goodbye, So Soon"

Oliver & Company (1988)
Favorite: "Perfect Isn't Easy"
Best: "Why Should I Worry?"
Least Favorite: "Streets of Gold"

The Little Mermaid (1989)
Favorite: "Les Poissons"
Best: "Poor Unfortunate Souls"
Least Favorite: "Part of Your World"

Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Favorite: "Gaston"
Best: "Gaston"
Least Favorite: "Belle"

Aladdin (1992)
Favorite: okay... something needs to be said here- the soundtrack version of this movie is ear cancer. I mean that exactly as it sounds. In the final film, I like "Friend Like Me" the most but when you put on the CD version, it is a complete assault on your senses. And not the good kind. So, "Friend Like Me" movie version exclusively is my answer.
Best: "Arabian Nights" (Strictly Uncensored, obviously)
Least Favorite / Worst: "One Jump Ahead"

The Lion King (1994)
Favorite: "Be Prepared"
Best: "Be Prepared"
Worst: "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"

Pocahontas (1995)
Favorite: "Colors of the Wind"
Best: "Colors of the Wind"
Worst: "If I Never Knew You"

And now... Favorite, Best, and Worst of all the animated movies (only the ones mentioned above since either I haven't seen or don't remember the rest).

Favorite: "The Headless Horseman"
Best: "Poor Unfortunate Souls"
Worst: "If I Never Knew You" (followed by everything from The Fox and the Hound)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

The Jungle Book comes out tomorrow. This one is a little too disjointed to be one of my favorites, but I'm certainly glad to own it besides my old VHS copies now. The animation's a bit of a mixed bag (they started recycling heavily with this one), but parts of it are fantastic, and soundtrack has some of Disney's strongest numbers, so there is good, but far from their best.

What's next on the Diamond line for the fall? Sleeping Beauty. Which they already put out on Blu-Ray a few years ago, albeit as a part of the Platinum line. This one is more of a cross-promotion for the Maleficent movie than anything, really. I'm going to pass on that since I have the previous release, and I doubt that they'll pull out a more impressive restoration or new bonus features besides fluff for Maleficent, but if you missed out, here's your chance to get it.

As of now, I'm wondering what Disney's doing for Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians. They were a part of the Platinum line way back when, but seem to have been dropped now. They're great films, so I'd hate to see them get the shaft in terms of releases.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Jungle Book is a good one but yeah it's not one of my favorites. Still, it is well deserving of a release like this one. It's one of those well-known but rarely aired ones like The Fox & The Hound and Robin Hood that almost everyone knows but has rarely seen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, the Platinum releases were originally decided on by the 10 in particular from the original series, which were Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Bambi, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, and 101 Dalmatians. Eventually they decided to add the next few films into the line, which were Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, and Fantasia, although they pushed Peter Pan up into the line early as a promotion for the first Tinker Bell movie. Meanwhile, from what I can tell, Aladdin and Dalmatians under performed, which is why they were pulled out for the Diamond line, which is basically the Blu-Ray equivalent of Platinum, although Blus started for animated movies with Sleeping Beauty. I think there was talk of Dumbo and Alice joining the line, but that never happened, and you'd think that Lilo & Stitch would be able to join itself, but nope.

What do these lines mean? Better representation for the movies, which should mean a restoration that's done with extra attention paid to it, as well as more bonus features, but Disney's been slacking there, so I guess it doesn't matter at all. Which sucks, because the Aladdin DVD had a fantastic 2-hour documentary on it which may not get transferred onto the Blu, since they're not even really doing that anymore.

I think the reason that Jungle Book is a bigger deal for them is because it's Walt's last animated movie, which makes it important for fans. And even though I don't think this helps its sales, but it is Andreas Deja's favorite, and his big influence for Scar was Shere Khan.

Edit: I just skimmed a review for the movie, and wow, this got a lot of new bonuses, and only lost a handful of old ones. Not bad. There's even some new stuff with Diane Disney Miller before she died last year.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Do you think the whole "vault" technique is backfiring on them here? I'm sure there must be many people who don't buy them simply because they think they'll wait for the next release but then forget about it when the time comes. It certainly doesn't help that Aladdin has been aired so many times on TV and has so many past releases that maybe most people have had enough of it.

I'm guessing, anyway.

Avaitor

The Vault was a good idea in theory, since giving the films a limited amount of times on the shelves did help to give people incentive to buy the movies before that happened. At least, at first. If you want to own this movie, you have a year and a half. None of that waiting for the bargain bin crap. Since the studios are claiming that streaming is the future of the industry though, this is a bit of a dated idea. Not to mention that by letting so few of their big titles become available to buy on iTunes or what have you, that cuts out potential buyers' interests.

This is just my estimation, though. I don't work for Disney or in the industry, but I don't see there being much of a purpose for putting their films away for so long nowadays. The 7 year policy worked for theatrical releases back in the day, when you couldn't see these movies whenever you wanted to like you can now with video and streaming media. Now, not so much.

New blog!

Inkwolf

My older favorite is The Rescuers, but I like a lot of the newer ones, too, including Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Lilo and Stitch, Mulan, and about 2/3 of Pixar.

I think the vault idea still works as a marketing ploy.  People who want to get a film that's been off the market for a few years have to buy it second-hand, often at collector's prices, so there is still a lot of excitement when it is re-released in a new edition.Compare it to the 'Masterpieces' that never are taken off the market...it's hard to drum up excitement about a new release of Robin Hood or Alice, because they are available in abundant amounts. You can pick up a new or a cheap used copy any time, anywhere. There is no pressure to buy it NOW so that your two-year-old will be able to watch your favorite childhood movie when they are five.

The Disney Movie club is offering Ghibli films at low sale prices now...someone said they've lost the distribution rights?  Hope someone else will pick them up....and ideally, redistribute Totoro without the meh Fanning dub.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

No-Personality

Quote from: Inkwolf on February 16, 2014, 01:13:12 PMMy older favorite is The Rescuers
Single most underrated Disney animated film, period.

Quote from: Inkwolf on February 16, 2014, 01:13:12 PMI think the vault idea still works as a marketing ploy. People who want to get a film that's been off the market for a few years
Or a decade, in Aladdin's case.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Yeah, I don't know what the fuck they're doing with Aladdin. The Jungle Book doesn't reference upcoming Diamond releases in its slipcover, and there's no mention of a release for it stateside yet.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I mostly liked the Pirates Cave section of The Rescuers, when they send that little girl down there. I do fall into the category of people that thinks the movie as a whole is weaker.

No-Personality

Well, I don't: the atmosphere is crisp, the characters actually behave more like real human personalities than the comparatively hyper sequel (and they have human voices anyway), the colors really pop, Medusa is a lot of fun, the music is haunting and misty, and the movie makes excellent resounding use of its theme of never giving up and turning being-underestimated into an advantage. It's a very natural film, nothing feels forced. (Except maybe Penny- I have to admit I think Doug was right there.)

I say it's easily Top 10, in Disney's best animated films.
and I love it.