Review This Song, Then Post Another

Started by Kiddington, August 15, 2011, 07:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

My last song might be too personal to rate, so I'll pick another. I'm still fanboying on this album, and love the direction they took with this track in particular.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Hey guys, can I bump this? I really liked this thread.

And I'm curious about what you think about this cover. I think it's way better than either original.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Micki!

Well bump, but this seems like a nice thread, I think we should try and keep it going..!

Ariana Grande's Born This Way Express Yourself :

It's not really within my taste, but to give it an unbiased review, I'd say it's a good "club music" kind of music, something I can see work well at a party or with a group of people to add some on-going mood playing in the background. But for the song itself, lyric wise and instrumentally, I think it's as generic as most other tracks out there within this genre... The beat is nice, the instrumental I mean, not that I really care much for the instruments used, because there was clearly more focus in the track to add an instrumental that creates an upbeat mood for the singing, than to make you care for how it was actually played.

The Lyrics are pretty forgettable, and are repeated alot, and to be honest, I think forgettable might not be that correct, since she repeated the same thing over and over so often, that it's hard not to forget, but it's not like i wanted to remember it, it just kind of dug itself into my brain by forcibly being repeated so often... Which again works well for the genre it belongs to, but I definitely don't care much for the message it gives you..! I think there's too much focus on the up-beat instrumental, which basically just carries her singing along with it as a "catchy tune", instead of making you want to listen to her actual singing, and the fact that the lyrics aren't really that interesting in the first place doesn't help that of course...

Her voice is nice though, and to be honest, I think many female vocalists have nice voices out there, but get dragged down by the generic lyrics and instrumentals played, which seems like a waste of talent to me... But this is a nice song that I definitely don't really mind hearing, but I also don't have much deeper thoughts than that, since any other song within this genre would really appeal to me just as much, as long it has the same type of up-beat instrumentals, repeatable lyrics and singing that carries along with it... I do like repetitive lyrics sometimes, but mostly that's in connection with how it's being sung (-that could be emotional or to emphasize something), or in electronic music where it's more part of the ambience that is being created, than being actual lyrics as such..! It also helps in my opinion, not to repeat certain overused words like "baby" and "yeah" in actual lyrics, if you really want people to care for what you have to say...

But at least it has a good beat that is catchy, which I honestly feel is all it really is in the end..!

I'm not a big fan of scale based scoring, but if I had to, I'd probably base the score of music within its genre, and not compared to music in general, so within the genre it belongs to, I think it's a solid 8/10, as it does its job of being a catchy musical tune that gets stuck in your head pretty well...
Keep in mind, that score is based on music within its genre and not music overall, since, if I had to cut in my personal preferences, it would go way below my average "score"

Here you have it, a totally not-trying-to-mock-nor-trying-to-praise-to-heavens opinion, it was probably a bit too long though, I hope that's alright...

Speaking of repetitive lyrics and instrumentals, this may be a good example of what I meant by lyrics being part of an ambience more than they're meant as singing:

You Prefer Cocaine by Vitalic
I'm curious what people think of electronic music like this, hoping for an interesting review..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Avaitor

Well, that's a more articulate review than I could ever come up with. :D

As for your choice, I have to say that it's not my type of music, but I did dig the opening. When the beat came in it kind of lost me, though. I'd say 6/10.

Now this is more up my alley.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Micki! on March 09, 2013, 10:48:02 AMYou Prefer Cocaine by Vitalic
I'm curious what people think of electronic music like this, hoping for an interesting review..!
I thought it was a little cliched and tacky at the beginning (like a lightweight Klymaxx or "Let's Hear it for the Boy"). Maybe it's even more cliched by the time the surrounding slam kicks it (at around 45-seconds) but at least by then, I was moving. Definitely has some punch. It's not my ideal either but it has enough facets to be interesting:

Quote from: Avaitor on March 09, 2013, 05:02:02 PMNow this is more up my alley.
I Am Not "Iron Man" (:P):

I hate to stereo-type-cast here, but all music that falls into the Cookie Monster vocalist genre is purely silly and not truly music in my opinion. I feel nothing. I think nothing. All I did was make faces, like sucking on a lemon. It feels shallow. Some of the parts are very interesting (4:06-4:36). But, before I even knew this kind of music existed, I was listening to Green Jelly (aka: Green Jello SUX) do it much better and in a way that was almost mocking it (as well as most 80's hair metal at the same time). Very aptly. Give me them or L7 any day.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on March 11, 2013, 11:23:29 PM
I hate to stereo-type-cast here, but all music that falls into the Cookie Monster vocalist genre is purely silly and not truly music in my opinion.
I dunno man, Chuck would have to disagree with you there.

New blog!

No-Personality

Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I really like the acoustic riff played throughout. Latin-tinged guitar licks typically aren't among my favorites, but this one caught me hook, line and sinker immediately. The vocal track, however, doesn't do a whole lot for me. it's not as distracting as I'd expect, but on a first listen, this cut the song back for me.

I will say that YouTube was acting up a little for me, though, and it took a while for part of the video to load, which made me wait to play it all. That might affect my ranking a little, but hopefully not too much with a 6.5/10.

Now this act is one I've heard a few times before, but this performance really blew me away. I've been trying to become more acquainted with nu jazz ever since.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm bummed that no one tried to review the performance I linked to, but it happens.

I'm bumping this for the hell of it. This is a song I'm sure you've heard before, but I wanna hear someone's opinion on it. Do you think it's good? The song, and/or that era of the band in particular? My friend and I talk about it a lot, but we have differing opinions that I'll get into later.

New blog!