What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

This is where you can talk about movies you've just seen in theaters, for the first time, for the millionth time, or whatever.

I just came back from Black Swan, and boy what a trip that was. Either Natalie Portman's character was a complete schizo who makes up some really crazy stuff throughout or everyone was completely crazy, including her. I think it's probably the former, since a lot of signs pointed to that.

There's a sex scene between her and Mila Kunis that is more than worth the price of admission, though. Just saying. :sly:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grounder

AAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Inception.

It was a good film, and entertaining to watch, though its not something which I feel lived up to its hype, at least not on my first time watching the film. I also don't see why people found this film to be so complex to follow. There are probably some deeper things that you might not get until watching the film through multiple more times, but I got all of the main stuff that was going on in the film just fine. I thought it was pretty straightforward.

Foggle

Yeah, I thought Inception was a great action movie with a cool concept, but I didn't find it "deep" or "hard to follow." :zonk:

Avaitor

Last night I felt like watching some film noir, so I watched Laura on Netflix.

Damn fine film. Like most traditional noir films from the era, it's a little messed up, which is part of the movie's charm. The writing and acting are top-notch, which just add to it. The newspaper character especially has some choice lines and was usually the most entertaining character in the movie.

There isn't much talk about film noir here, which kind of saddens me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Finally caved in and saw Hannibal Rising. This movie makes Hannibal and Red Dragon look like Silence of the Lambs. Yeah, I'll admit that I was a tad interested in seeing how Lecter became Lecter, but this was fucking stupid. It is so painful, that I feel like I'm gonna throw up and cry for the next few hours. Especially the beginning, where it shows little Hannibal playing with his sister while together with his loving family... then soldiers come and kill the lot. Oh, and more soldiers come and bind Hannibal and his sister, burn his photo albums to keep warm, and then eat his sister because there aren't any squirrels. God, this makes Clannad looks believable and emotionally-balanced.

Foggle

Red Dragon looks like Silence of the Lambs no matter what as long as you read the book. ;)

Veggie

I saw Black Swan. I like how sex was basically just groping crotches in that movie. And the, uh, scene Avaitor's referring to. (That one scene where her mother ended up being there the whole time was awkward as hell.)

But as for the movie itself, I loved it. I'm a bit of a ballet geek, and I'm a huge fan of mindfucks. And that movie definitely delivered.

Though I can't say I'm a fan of the shaky cam. I don't think it added anything to it.

Avaitor

I forgot to mention this, but I saw a couple of movies on Friday.

I saw Country Strong in theaters with my family. It's a decently well made movie. Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim McGraw, and everyone else gave pretty good performances and the story, while nothing too original, was told fine. It gets really depressing near the end though, so don't go in expecting a lot of fun.

I guess it's a good movie, but I've seen better films based on falling from stardom. I'd probably like it more if I was more into country, though. My sister, who loves it, enjoyed it a lot.

Later we rented Get Him to the Greek on demand, and that was more up my alley. I loved Russell Brand's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and he didn't disappoint again (Sarah even made a cameo!). It's a dumb, funny movie which is what I was expecting and what I got. You'll probably like it more if you're into music, but the characters are likable enough to make it enjoyable if you're not.

When I couldn't go to sleep, I then watched The Passion of Joan of Arc on Netflix. I went into more detail on tz, but yeah, if you think you're a big fan of film, you need to see this movie, but it might be hard to watch more than once.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I got home late the other night due to work and my dad turned on the tv to this digital sub channel for spanish viewers. They have this movie showcase every night for action movies, and they were airing one called Action Jackson.

Its a pretty generic 80s action movie, complete with a loose cannon cop and a business tycoon as the bad guy. As such, it was the perfect film for me because I could just eat those up completely. Best part was the number of cheesy lines in the film, such as when Jackson roasted a grunt alive and made a joke about having a BBQ, and the ridiculous scene at the end where he drove a car into a mansion and drove up stairs that turned at a rigid 90 degree angle. Fuck logistics, the hero must always make it in time.

Daxdiv

Grown Ups. For some reason, I can't find myself to hate this film. I mean, it looked like Adam Sandler and the rest of the gang had fun making this film, and it did feel like something Sandler did for fun rather than money. While the plot was somewhat generic, I still enjoyed it.

Angus

Tropic Thunder...uh what was the point of that movie?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

To be a grown up version of Heavyweights, I'd assume.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Queen Rissa

Finished the first Iron Man two minutes ago.
"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live"

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten"

No-Personality

Re-watched Mario Bava's hip, stylish (for 1969, this was most likely the pinnacle of chic) slasher film, Hatchet for the Honeymoon. It was 88 minutes long and felt like it was 45 minutes. Great film! I still need to see Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, and Black Sabbath, but I say this is still (until I see those) the best thing he put his name on.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...