What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Lethal Weapon 1 was a really good character story and 2 really built on its base while adding characters like Leo, but 3 didn't have much of anything going for it except giving Riggs a love interest and actually having the cliche of killing the rookie cop on his birthday. Not to mention the comedy wasn't nearly as good as the first two. 4 was a definite improvement.

I was considering Die Hard until I remembered 5 came out and wasn't all too hot, and that I've never really liked 2 all that much. But 1, 3, and 4, are all really good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Live Free or Die Hard is really good? I expected to hear it was average. I need to watch that and all of 3.

I know Lethal Weapon 1 is my favorite but I can't pick out of 2 and 4.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 10, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
Live Free or Die Hard is really good? I expected to hear it was average. I need to watch that and all of 3.
Most people who don't seem to like Live Free seem to think 2 is really good, I find. But as a whole, Live Free is very enjoyable and very reminiscent of old school cop movies with a modern twist. I personally was surprised that I liked it so much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really liked Live Free or Die Hard. It's MUCH better than 2, and I never got the people who treat it like the Die Hard equivalent of KOTCS. It's a fun action movie, just like any good Die Hard movie should be.

Spark Of Spirit

I like all five Die Hard movies, but for me there's a clear tier of 1, 3, and 4, and then the other two. Neither of them are awful or anything, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still have yet to see the 5th one. Despite all of the negative reviews for it, I still plan to see it eventually with an open mind.

Spark Of Spirit

It's alright. Nothing amazing or anything, but it's a pretty decent action movie.

Avaitor

I was THIS close to getting the Blu-Ray set with all of them, until I saw that my wallet was thinner than I recalled. If my pawn shop guy still has it and I can find a thing or two to trade in, I might finally hit that up and see 5 for myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that they have 5 streaming on HBO GO for the time being, if you have that.

Avaitor

I do not.

I am interested in owning the set anyway, since 1 and 3, y'no? I also like LFODH, but I don't really recall 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

He stabs a guy in the eye with an icicle and blows up a plane with his lighter. It's the only Die Hard film to get a thumbs up from BOTH Siskel & Ebert... for some reason.

I still have to pick up a copy of 5, but I would say if you like 2 you should like 5. They're both good action movies.

Avaitor

This is pretty interesting.

I'm honestly surprised that Gone With the Wind is so low though- people still seem to love that flick. And I honestly do prefer it to a lot of the list, myself.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just checked out the top 100, and overall it's a pretty decent list, but is The Seven Samurai seriously the only foreign film on that list? And at that, it's only just barely on there, ranked at the #100 spot.

The list also lacks any Sergio Leone movie, which I consider folly, but I guess his films were never critical darlings to begin with, especially among the Hollywood crowd.

Avaitor

I'll just say that we're never going to see a foreign language film win Best Picture, because let's be real, one never will.

And for some reason, to most "serious" people in the business, John Ford is the only western director in town. While I really do like his style, I can't agree with that at all. Leone, Peckinpah, and Anthony Mann are equal to greater in comparison.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe they just hold it against Leone that A Fistful of Dollars was essentially a rip-off of Yojimbo (as if that was the only Western to rip-off a Kurosawa film). That still doesn't make The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, or Once Upon a Time in a America to be any less of masterpieces.

I certainly can't see how anyone could justify Avatar being on this list at all and those films not (not to mention that it's essentially ahead of the only Kurosawa film on that list, on top of everything else ranked before it). I could have easily picked any other film to take its place. Speaking of which,  I noticed that The Dirty Dozen nor The Great Escape made this list. I'm not utterly shocked at that or anything, but as far as WWII films go, it seems that one of their main representatives is Saving Private Ryan. Now, I do actually like that movie, but I've always felt that critics kind of overrated it. It also has the dishonor of starting that whole goddamn shaky cam trend, so I'm a bit biased towards it, but I don't mind it being on the list. Still, there are far better war films out there, IMO.