What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Pretty funny. Probably should give it a rewatch once I can center myself more since my attention span's been shot in the last few days.

Avaitor

I love how well it balances comedy and tragedy throughout the entire film. The first half or so is a sharp romp while it becomes very dark after a certain point with Fran's character. If the writing wasn't so sharp and the actors weren't so good (Fred MacMurray pulled off a strangely likable asshole well in it), the film may not have worked, and went too far to one side or the other, but I think Wilder nailed it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Rewatched it again with a clearer mind. Poor Fran.

Avaitor

True. Very true.

I saw 2 movies with a group of friends yesterday- The Hangover 2 in theaters, and Super Mario Bros. at one of their houses.

Hangover was more of the same. If you found the first one funny like I did, you'll probably enjoy 2 as well, even if it's nothing earth shattering. As for SMB, it's as bad as the Critic made it out to be. Maybe even worse, since he left a lot of stuff ripe for mocking out of it. Yoshi's an ugly little raptor.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

SMB live-action? Is it better than the SMB Super Show (still my little pup's favorite show on Netflix)
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

It's on that level, I'll say that much.

New blog!

Veggie

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Really great movie, loved Depp's portrayal of Duke. Might check out the book as well.

No-Personality

Clearing some more of the horror films out of my Netflix Queue-

The Crazies remake
The Funhouse (1981)
Mario Bava's Black Sabbath

and then I re-watched Roman Polanski's Repulsion. Still a fascinating movie. And I still thought the rape scenes were a little much and the ending was a little blah-ze.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Aurora

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Beneath the Planet of the Apes. :-o The reasons the film is hated for the Underground mutants, The Heston carbon copy Brent, the bleak ending, the planet destroying missile. Loved it!

Spark Of Spirit

Empire Records is on VH1 right now, and I've never seen it so I thought I'd give it a watch.

It's pretty boring so far. Nothing's really happening.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Desensitized on June 02, 2011, 08:37:36 PM
Empire Records is on VH1 right now, and I've never seen it so I thought I'd give it a watch.

It's pretty boring so far. Nothing's really happening.
Yeah, that was boring. I'm still not even quite sure who the audience of the movie was supposed to be.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I still haven't seen that.

Today I watched Persona on Netflix, which was good! Then I watched Leprechaun at my friend's house, which was not! But that was the point.

I might watch something else on Netflix after I try to sleep. Perhaps Charade. I could use more Hepburn in my life.

New blog!

Angus

Was that the 1960s musical Finian's Rainbow or the horror movie?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

The horror movie starring a pre-Friends Jennifer Aniston.

The cameraman sure loved getting shots of her ass in. Especially during chase scenes.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got back from an afternoon showing of X-Men: First Class (since its considerably cheaper than an evening show). I don't have a lot of time to share my thoughts right now, but to sum up my feelings on the movie, I thought it was great. While I got some guilty pleasure entertainment out of Wolverine, I can admit it was a bad movie and overall a disappointment, and the same could be said for X3, but for me this film finally stepped things back up. I REALLY loved the way that Magneto was portrayed in this movie. I haven't read the comics so I don't know how he stacks up to how Magneto is portrayed in the comics, but in this movie his role is brilliantly acted and I just can't take my eyes away from a scene every time that he's on-screen. I think the movie nailed the whole early relationship between him and Professor X. The supporting cast was all good, but none of them got too much characterization aside from Mystique, but that's the way that I prefer things since I was happy to see Professor X and Magneto get more focus in the film. Keven Bacon also did a pretty good job as the main villain of the movie, Shaw.

Overall I really, really enjoyed this film. My only complaints upon my first viewing of it is that a certain freak-out scene in the beginning is way too over-the-top (IMO), and I also felt that the movie got off to a bit of a slow start, but it really picks up after the first 15 minutes or so and just about everything after that is great material. Its definitely a return to form for the franchise, at least for me. I recommend it to anyone who at least liked the first 2 X-Men movies.

BTW, Unless you have a thing for watching the end credit sequences of all films, don't bother waiting past the end credits in this film if you're expecting a little post-teaser sort of thing like in some of the previous Marvel films released, because there aren't any for this film, which is a little bit disappointing but at least its better than having a completely pointless scene like after the credits for Wolverine.