Beavis and Butt-head

Started by Commode, November 06, 2011, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

The reboot will be going to Paramount+ instead of Comedy Central.

And the movie's sequel will be titled Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe.

Avaitor

I didn't totally understand why Comedy Central decided to become almost exclusively animation and left behind pretty much all of their live-action programs that aren't Daily Show. Nor why it was picking up revivals for shows that were never theirs, like this or Ren & Stimpy. It's probably for the best if it goes to Paramount+ instead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, CC announcing all those cartoons didn't make sense. Outside of South Park and a few other cult shows like Drawn Together or Dr. Katz, the network's not known as a place where animated series can prosper.

Daxdiv

I think they were just paranoid about the pandemic making filming things unsafe & since animation is something you can technically do from the comfort of your own home, they did seem to double down on that being the future of the network, especially after all the other live action shows got canned. That and brand recognition for the fact that the other series were revivals/spin-offs. I mean, considering the rest of CC original animation output being mediocre/mid at best.

Avaitor

I don't know if it was just pandemic though, since they moved some of their live-action shows, like The Other Two and Awkafina is Nora from Queens, to HBO Max. And I don't think that they even do comedy specials anymore, which is almost imbedded in the channel's DNA.

I understand that South Park has been their longest lasting success, and I understand capitalizing on that, but there's a longer gap than you'd think of it being their #1 show. Chappelle's Show was bigger during its heyday, and both Stewart and Colbert topped SP for most of their runs. But I understand that SP is a bigger draw overseas, so that may be it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, but the thing about Chappelle's Show was that while it was a huge success, fights between Chappelle and the execs ultimately left the show with only 28 episodes that you can only rerun so many times. While outside of interviews, The Daily Show and Colbert Report have next to zero shelf life for modern-day viewers and have the same "you had to have been there to fully appreciate it" feel most politically loaded talk shows have. And you could say the same for many of South Park's really topical episodes, but I think an SP episode from 2002 or something is easier for a casual viewer to understand than a Daily Show episode from the same year.

Daikun

Avaitor

AV Club's review has me pumped.

I'm not sure if it's the best thing for the characters to be in stasis, but I still prefer this to the movie where they're dads.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

That was fine. Exactly what you expect, and most of the jokes are a little too predictable, but it was fun seeing the guys again.

Avaitor

I had a lot of fun with it. Yes, it's predictable, but it's Beavis and Butthead, you should know what to expect. The white privilege scene blew up on Twitter for a reason, but there's plenty of other entertaining moments throughout.

I am not a fan of the animation or the secondary character designs, though. It's sad to see Judge have to work with puppet rigging, and it does look a little more hollow than anything before with the characters. I've seen bits of the 2011 revival recently, and that moves much smoother. And I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the characters look like the humans on BoJack Horseman, which is a weird mesh with Judge's designs.

But whatever, I still got a lot of laughs out of this. Do America is still the better movie, and I'm not excited about the upcoming movie where they're parents, but I hope they stick around for longer than their last reboot.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the puppet rigging was off, which it shouldn't since none of the Mike Judge cartoons and Daria are that well-animated to begin with.

Avaitor

I've finally got around to watching some of the new season, half of it to be exact, and I love it. The show's about as entertaining as ever, and works just as well as it should in the present day. Even the animation has grown on me after the movie- it's not the original show, but I can handle it.

And so far, I've seen one episode where the 90's version of the two are adults, and I wonder if we'll get more or if this is supposed to be a preview for the upcoming episode. It's a little weird that the show otherwise takes place in an alternate timeline where they're teens today, but I'm fine with it. Surprised that McVicker or Buzzcut haven't shown up yet, though, but Mr. Anderson is funnier than ever.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Good news, Daria finally showed up.

Bad news, she brought Neil DeGrasse Tyson with her.

GregX

I enjoyed the two seasons we got, I hope it gets renewed.

Mike Judge created timeless characters, you can really place them into any situation.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm really loving these episodes. And it's funny, although I'll always prefer Daria and KOTH, I don't want either to come back, while I'd be okay with B&B going on forever.

New blog!