Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

I don't really watch a lot of animation anymore, but here goes...

- I didn't absolutely loathe Mike, Lu, and Og.

- Sheep in the Big City was the best Cartoon Cartoon.

- I've never liked anime.

- Regular Show is the best cartoon on television.

- I still don't get the appeal over the whole "brony" trend.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Geezer on February 03, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
I don't either. I remember liking it as a kid. But then, I liked anything as a kid.

Quote- Sheep in the Big City was the best Cartoon Cartoon.
See, that was a good show even beyond childhood standards. Sucks how it isn't as remembered as the rest.

Quote- I've never liked anime.
Honestly, I don't see the rationale behind not liking animation purely because of what country it comes from. That's like refusing to read Proust purely because he's French.

Quote- Regular Show is the best cartoon on television.
Hmm. Hmm.

Quote- I still don't get the appeal over the whole "brony" trend.
A combination of New Serenity, people nostalgic over the PPG/Dexter's style of humor, and a dash of irony.

Avaitor

I actually quite liked M,L&O as a kid. Then again, I watched basically anything that was on CN at the time, but I still remember getting fairly excited for new episodes and being disappointed when they took it off CCF and cut its airings.

Watching it again now, I can see why it's the least popular of the first 8 Cartoon Cartoons. It's way too "safe" for CN's standards at the time and just isn't that funny in hindsight. Lancelot and the other animals aside, at least. Plus Lu is just Angelica without the fun or oblivious wit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

I always thought it was boring, even as a kid. Watching it now especially (once a year they'll air it on Boomerang for about a month), it's just... really, really boring. That's all I can say; it's not bad or anything, as the writing doesn't make you want to shake your head like some of CN's future efforts during the mid-00's did, but nothing about it is very interesting at all (except maybe Lancelot, but even then, that's not much).

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Man Geezer, you are the coolest.

I disagree with number 3 though. That honor goes to Bob's Burgers.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 04, 2012, 01:30:25 AM

I second the first two of your motions, but not the third one. Best cartoon is Archer, baby.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on February 04, 2012, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 04, 2012, 01:30:25 AM

I second the first two of your motions, but not the third one. Best cartoon is Archer, baby.
IAWTP
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Geezer

I've heard good things about Archer, but I haven't watched it yet.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

gunswordfist

Digimon season 4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pokemon Season 1.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I don't even remember Frontier, but Pokemon season 1 was a bit different than what the show ended up becoming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I've tried several times to rewatch the Kanto Pokemon episodes, or the Orange Island episodes, but every time I do I just can't finish the season.  The show is so awful and repetitive and annoying, it just does not hold up at all.  I loved it as a kid, but I can't stomach it now.

I have heard that the original Japanese version is better than the 4Kids dub, and I do have some curiosity to check it out, but even then I still don't know.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Honestly, the first 2 seasons are best left in your memories. Kanto had some god-awful writing and blatantly went against a lot of what the games established, and the Orange Islands is whogivesafuck central since its all filler anyway. I do still enjoy the 3rd gen and 4th gen series but they are quite repetitive and long so I wouldn't recommend them unless you're a big fan of the games.

Also, I don't think moeshit/slice of life is killing anime. A lot of it isn't even terrible, just very generic and boring. Kind of like the typical shounen battle series, or stuff based off toylines. Hell I can't even think of one series that I'd consider excellent, mostly just passable. I saw a few episodes of Nichijou and I was worn out by the 3rd episode since it tried too hard to be zany and unpredictable.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 12, 2012, 01:55:57 PM
Also, I don't think moeshit/slice of life is killing anime. A lot of it isn't even terrible, just very generic and boring. Kind of like the typical shounen battle series, or stuff based off toylines. Hell I can't even think of one series that I'd consider excellent, mostly just passable. I saw a few episodes of Nichijou and I was worn out by the 3rd episode since it tried too hard to be zany and unpredictable.
Pretty much, yeah. I hate most of the moeshit I've seen, but it's basically just the replacement for shounen battle shows which aren't as abundant anymore. It's just a fad, and will most certainly pass with time; definitely not killing the industry.

Spark Of Spirit

Moe isn't killing anime, it's just a fad. What's killing anime is anyone's inability to do anything that isn't either moe or bad shonen. There's like no in between most of the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think the main problem is that there are very few anime shows these days that aren't completely wrapped around one particular genre, and within each genre the writers only see fit to follow all of the tropes and cliches they they know will at least make their show passable. That is to say, very few anime seem to take any risks at all anymore, and even the few that do aren't always necessarily good because of it, as it does still take a lot of talent to put together something a bit different than the norm.

For instance, most moe shows just end up following common tropes of trying to be cute and funny, but in a way that usually involves the viewers to be very familiar with other anime of the same type or some form of otaku culture. Basically, moe shows are made for fans of moe anime, plane and simple. The same can be said for most shonen series these days as well.

What I would like to see are more series that, while they may be part of one genre, are not confined to the tight structure of their respective genre and that can basically do their own thing even if they can't be entirely original. For example, I like series like Great Teacher Onizuka (and Shounan Junai Gumi as well), Rurouni Kenshin, Full Metal Panic!, and a bunch of other shows. With GTO and RK, they are both shonen series, but GTO really has little to nothing to do with battles and is basically just its own thing about a guy from the streets becoming a teacher of a messed up group of students from a private academy, and really when you watch it there is no feeling of it being part of any particular genre but that you are just watching a series that is doing what it wants to do and entertaining you all the same. Rurouni Kenshin is a traditional battle shonen series but the way it ties in more mature themes of old Japanese government and has a fantasized take on the Meiji era of Japan make it stand out, and the fact that the protagonist is just flat-out not a typical shonen hero makes it all the more interesting for me. Full Metal Panic! is a mecha anime and follows enough of the tropes, but it also successfully combines it with other science-fiction elements as well as good humor in-between the drama, both on the side of slice-of-life comedy and just genuine humor when it comes to the daily military-based lives of the crew at MITHRIL.

Also, we have stuff like Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys along with numerous other works of his that are just begging to have an anime adaptation, but even then its not like I would expect every show out there to be of that caliber of quality anyways. I guess all I'm saying is that I'm tired of so many anime shows lettering their genres restrict what they can be. I just feel that 9 out of every 10 shows that I will try in any given season will end up following some predictable formula that I'm just plane tired of seeing by now.