Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I disagree with the "always has been awful" part. It's within the last three seasons that its become more dull. Family Guy still makes me laugh even in otherwise mediocre episodes. But last night's episode didn't get a single laugh from me.

Peanutbutter

Archer is the best adult cartoon of all time. Not a single episode that didn't manage to get a good laugh out of me. It's better than South Park in its prime, Family Guy seasons 2-6, The Simpsons' first eight seasons, and heck even better than the short lived The Critic. Duckman is the second. And I still freaking love Family Guy and The Simpsons.

Also, I love Batman: The Animated Series and I'm glad The Hub has allowed me to rewatch it, but Batman: The Brave and the Bold has surpassed it as the quintessential Batman cartoon. What's made me realize this is that all the episodes are good. There's not a single bad one in the whole bunch. The closest to worse are merely not as strong as others, but still a lot of fun. The direction is great, the writing is superb, the animation is wonderful, and its balance between comedy and seriousness is second to none. It's not just a great Batman series, its a great cartoon period. And it's a recent cartoon at that.

The Shadow Gentleman

Wait, is saying Archer is awesome somehow unpopular?

LumRanmaYasha

No, but I think saying it's the best adult cartoon ever isn't a commonly popular opinion. Personally, it's not my favorite adult cartoon, but it's so damn good that I definitely don't disagree with other people considering it as such.  :thumbup:

Foggle

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 10, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
Archer is the best of adult cartoon of all time. Not a single episode that didn't manage to get a good laugh out of me.
Agreed. :thumbup:

Avaitor

I've been secretly thinking the same thing for a while now, PB.

Although Archer's toughest competition for me is KOTH. And to Archer's credit, we haven't had a "Racist Dawg" yet, nor is its earliest episodes radically different from its prime.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 10, 2013, 09:29:36 PMAlso, I love Batman: The Animated Series and I'm glad The Hub has allowed me to rewatch it, but Batman: The Brave and the Bold has surpassed it as the quintessential Batman cartoon. What's made me realize this is that all the episodes are good. There's not a single bad one in the whole bunch. The closest to worse are merely not as strong as others, but still a lot of fun. The direction is great, the writing is superb, the animation is wonderful, and its balance between comedy and seriousness is second to none. It's not just a great Batman series, its a great cartoon period. And it's a recent cartoon at that.
:thumbup:

I recommend keeping up with my blog series on AR if you're a fan. I intend to try and show why the show is so good and has much more going for it than people think.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 10, 2013, 09:29:36 PMAlso, I love Batman: The Animated Series and I'm glad The Hub has allowed me to rewatch it, but Batman: The Brave and the Bold has surpassed it as the quintessential Batman cartoon. What's made me realize this is that all the episodes are good. There's not a single bad one in the whole bunch. The closest to worse are merely not as strong as others, but still a lot of fun. The direction is great, the writing is superb, the animation is wonderful, and its balance between comedy and seriousness is second to none. It's not just a great Batman series, its a great cartoon period. And it's a recent cartoon at that.

I agree that I enjoy it more than BTAS, myself (and I love BTAS), but to be fair, I think it's more fair to compare BTB&TB to team-based superhero shows like Justice League/Unlimted or AEMH than to BTAS. The reason I say that is because despite featuring Batman in the title, BTB&TB isn't JUST about Batman like BTAS is. It's really about Batman and the DC Universe, and most episodes have him teaming up wit other superheroes, so really I still feel like it has more in common with superhero team shows than the individual ones like BTAS, STAS, TSSM, and so forth.

Either way, though, it's my 2nd favorite superhero cartoon ever.

Another unpopular opinion of mine which I'm not sure if I already mentioned or not is:

I like the 2nd half of season 2 of AEMH. Yes, it's not as sharp as the stuff before it, and there are a few bad episodes in there (only a few, though), but I thought there were also a decent amount of legitimately good episodes as well. And despite hearing that there would e no 2-parters in the 2nd half of the season, we still essentially got one anyways in the 2 episodes resolving the conflict with the Kree, which I thought were great, personally. Overall, I honestly don't feel like the show went THAT much downhill with the latter half of the 2nd season, and taking it all into account, it's still yet another one of my favorite superhero cartoons.

Avaitor

I was probably too harsh in the other thread, because yeah, the second half of EMH season 2 really isn't that bad. You can tell that there was something going on behind the scenes, but it only got really bad for like one episode.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I do feel that in the past few years, Disney's animated offerings have become more exciting than whatever Pixar's been up to.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"Exciting" is an odd choice of words, since though I have enjoyed Disney's last few installments, none have really made me excited to see them.

But I do have to say that while Monsters U will probably become underrated in a few years, I do wish Pixar would go back to their originals. WALL*E and Up are still amazing movies (and the latter is one of my all-time favorites) and from the descriptions, they still have great looking ones in waiting.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Well I've been, and I've been seeing more and more people go out of their way to watch Disney's recent offerings, and not so much for Pixar.

I just find the change in dynamic fascinating. Especially since if Frozen keeps up its current track (and there isn't really any family movie coming out for a while, so it probably will), it might be the first DAC to top Pixar's outing in the box-office since, I think for the first time actually.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

You know, I haven't watched Total Drama Island since the first season, barring an episode here or there, but I've been watching the fifth season marathon today and... this split personality thing is stupid. Isn't this supposed to parody a reality show? Why can we see inside this guy's head?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 03, 2013, 06:06:06 PM
You know, I haven't watched Total Drama Island since the first season, barring an episode here or there, but I've been watching the fifth season marathon today and... this split personality thing is stupid. Isn't this supposed to parody a reality show? Why can we see inside this guy's head?
Explain this phenomenon.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

One of the characters has a split-personality disorder and an occasional scene inside his subconscience where the other personalities are talking with each other occurs. In a show where characters regularly talk to the camera as if it's a reality show. That's stupid.