Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Any semblance of story falls to pieces once you get to the second disc, which I have never gotten very far in. It's just not that good of a game and the part I liked the most (non-mech battles) become rarer and rarer at a certain point.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 21, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
Any semblance of story falls to pieces once you get to the second disc, which I have never gotten very far in. It's just not that good of a game and the part I liked the most (non-mech battles) become rarer and rarer at a certain point.
I'm honestly shocked you agree with us on this. I have only seen, like, one other person who feels this way. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Xenogears was huge when it came out, getting high scores and praise, but I actually think it's dated worse than Final Fantasy VII. The only advantage it has over VII are the sprites over the ugly 3D models. That's basically it.

A few years ago I went back to play some old RPGs from the PS1 era to see how they held up, and most Square RPGs did. Xenogears was the big exception. I just shelved it and replayed Suikoden 1 and 2 and had much more fun. Now those are games that deserve the praise Xenogears got.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Yeah Suikoden 1 and 2 (especially 2) are masterpieces. :) Still need to play the PS2 games, though I heard they got really mixed reception.

Spark Of Spirit

I never got play the PS2 games, but III has mixed reception (it was written by the I & II writer, though), IV and Tactics are big disappointments, and V is surprisingly great since it's an almost direct prequel to I.

They're way too expensive to get nowadays, unfortunately.

talonmalon333

I think that Zelda II is underrated and is a great middle-tier Zelda. It just has the annoyance of dying and being sent back to the first area.

gunswordfist

Doom I and II are better than Duke Nukem 3D. They have better weapons, enemies, levels and powerups.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

I'd say DOOM and Duke Nukem are even in terms of weapons, but I think Duke has it beat when it comes to level design. I agree about DOOM having cooler enemies, but I could just be biased.

gunswordfist

Too many of Duke's levels are trap filled pains in the ass and Duke crying after falling 3 feet doesn't help. The first few levels held promise and almost made me a believer but levels that good became scarce after that. And imo Plasma Gun + BFG and/or the Super Shotgun>>>Duke's entire arsenal. Playing Suburbs in Doom 2 did make me miss having the Tripwires and pipe bombs Duke has though. Having them would have helped stop me from getting fireballed in the back from demons that through the first door while I am trying to kill bigger demons through the upstairs opening.

Rynnec

I was going off from the levels I've played (which are just the first 3). Duke's environments look better than Doom's, but that's a given since DN3D is 3 years newer than Doom is. I've yet to really get into Duke's arsenal yet, but I agree that Doom's super shotgun is godly, and the best shotgun in any FPS ever. Doom definitely has better action, though the music in both games are excellent.

On a sidenote, this makes me want to try out those Doom mods that combine the gameplay styles of the two.

Foggle

IMO the best shotgun is the one from the first F.E.A.R.

Doom definitely has better action than Duke, but that's because Duke 3D (and other Build engine games) were always more about the level design than the shooting. Sounds like you're just bad at the game and/or don't know how to quicksave, GSF. I never thought I'd actually be better at an action game than you. :>

That said, Episode 2 of Duke3D is absolutely terrible and I would completely understand your opinion if you formed it based on that.

gunswordfist

:D I think Episode 2 formed my overall opinion of Duke, yeah.

Again, it's the traps and cheap ambushes that causes me so much pain in Duke. I hate entering a room for a second then exiting only to run into two chaingun lizards. You never hear anything stronger than those basic jetpack alien teleport in. As for Doom, a lot of the demons are either behind walls or waiting somewhere and when they do spawn in, it's from a loud green flash and it's usually caused by you getting a keycard, just like how demons behind walls tend to come out. Doom 1 and 2 had a certain rhythm to how they did enemy encounters. Duke almost seems random in comparison.

Sounds like I need to play F.E.A.R. The Super Shotgun is probably my favorite shotgun as well. And I was look at Doom/Duke mods on youtube early this morning. I haven't seen one with both arsenals yet. I'd kill to have pipebombs and tripwires on Ultra-Violence.

Rynnec

Doom's second episode was pretty bad as well. Had the worst levels and blandest music in the game.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on November 05, 2013, 04:04:56 PM
Doom's second episode was pretty bad as well. Had the worst levels and blandest music in the game.
I mostly agree, but E2M1's music is fuckin' rad.

The problem with Episode 2 in Duke3D is that it's both boring and unfair. It looks just like any other FPS from that time period (whereas the other three episodes are more creative and original), the level design is bland, and the enemy placement is cheap.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't agree. DOOM episode 2 was fine. Just as good as the first part. Episode 3 is where it started to falter a bit for me (though I still enjoyed that as well). I've played a few levels of DN3D. The level design is great and the gameplay is fun, but it just doesn't hook me the same way that DOOM does.