Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on November 15, 2011, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on November 15, 2011, 03:40:40 PM
Wario Land is kind of an underrated series. Each game is pretty unique and in its own style, they're all pretty great. But it seems of all Nintendo's platforming franchises, it is the only one that doesn't seem to do all that well. Which is a shame because it's a great little series.*

(*Note* I'm not referring to junk like Wario World or Master Of Disguise. Those are Wario games, not Wario Land games.
I don't really like the first Wario Land(Super Mario Land 3) and I don't know if I've ever played the second one, but I really like 3 for GBC and 4 for GBA.

I think the first one was great.

I never played Shake it! but I know it has an awesome art style. Once again proves that graphics don't mean everything to make a game look good.

Spark Of Spirit

Wario Land is kind of an underrated series. Each game is pretty unique and in its own style, they're all pretty great. But it seems of all Nintendo's platforming franchises, it is the only one that doesn't seem to do all that well. Which is a shame because it's a great little series.*

(*Note* I'm not referring to junk like Wario World or Master Of Disguise. Those are Wario games, not Wario Land games.
I don't really like the first Wario Land(Super Mario Land 3) and I don't know if I've ever played the second one, but I really like 3 for GBC and 4 for GBA.
Yeah, the first is a bit basic (though way better than SML2) but WL2 is pretty great. It's kind of like 3 in that you can't die, but that's not the point. You explore and find treasure and money. IMO, it's the best one of the first 3. 1 is a bit basic and 3 is a bit too out there for my tastes, but 2 has a good balance of both. 4 is excellent, and Shake It! (5) is almost as great.

As far as platformers go, it's quite a cool and unique series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Isn't Shake It! a Wii game?  I'm pretty sure I've seen it around, but it's another one that I haven't played.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it's this game. Kind of like Wario Land 2 and 3 explorations meets Wario Land 1 and 4's more simplistic approach. But with medals and collectables. It's a pretty good game that sadly didn't do well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I really liked 3, but it's the only one I played.

Speaking of Wario, I really wish they'd do a new WarioWare game. The original on the GBA is one of my all-time favs, but they haven't touched the franchise since the Wii one, which was admittedly only okay but fun enough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on November 15, 2011, 07:51:09 PM
I really liked 3, but it's the only one I played.

Speaking of Wario, I really wish they'd do a new WarioWare game. The original on the GBA is one of my all-time favs, but they haven't touched the franchise since the Wii one, which was admittedly only okay but fun enough.

My favorite is the GC one. Same game as the GBA one, but on a big screen and multiplayer.

GaryPotter

I hate first person shooters. The only one I've ever played was Quake 4, and only because I got it as a gift.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

GaryPotter

Ah the Turok series. It was a pretty unique game series during the N64 days. I used to rent it all the time. It's unfortunate that the last game bombed and the series is probably finished.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 15, 2011, 03:21:31 PM
-I prefer save points to manual saving (as in, anywhere you want). The main reason is because if the game leaves saving up to me, I get OCD about that shit and don't know when is the right time to save (maybe a hard boss is coming up or something like that), or if I should just go on for a while and ignore saving, but then if I neglect it for too long and forget about it and then die, I can be set back well over an hour's worth of gameplay, which can be really annoying. I actually like when you're only option to save comes in the form of save points. At least that way I can just save every time one comes up since the developers would have already strategically placed the save points at places that would be most appropriate to save at, and then you can just focus on the game and don't need to worry about saving every other minute. That, and having the opportunity to save whenever and wherever you want makes the game too easy.

While I do still prefer some manual control in saving (which is why I think that save points are perfect), I also don't mind too much if a game just forces auto-saves or checkpoints on you as long as they are well-placed. In games like Halo and its sequels, this can be a nuisance because of how random and awkwardly placed they are, but in games like F.E.A.R. (the XBOX360 port, anyways), the auto-save checkpoints are perfectly placed and it allows me to completely ignore having to save every other second, and instead I can just have fun playing the game the way it was meant to be played without any such distractions.
That's why I love 'em.
Quote from: Desensitized on November 15, 2011, 04:17:02 PM
Rayman is overrated by platformer fans. The first game is generic and dull with a cheap usage of difficulty and the third game is a minigame fest. Keep in mind that I have yet to play Origins (I'm waiting for the 3DS version), but from my experience the only good Rayman game is 2, and it's not really that great. But when I see someone list the series among platforming greats, I just have to shrug and disagree. It's a merely decent series with few original ideas and only one (possibly two including Origins) decent games.

That said, Origins does look great. Even if it will bomb like no one's business.
Desen, do I have to kill you? Well okay, I wouldn't put it up with the best, maybe a tier lower, but to call it dull is like saying you want me to shoot you. I never understand why anyone called the game so hard. Maybe it's because I didn't notice since I've always been such a persistent gamer. Anyway, the memories of my very first PS1 game will never be tainted, dammit. I remember having to clean my room to play it the first time. Good times. Good times.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I played the fourth one. I really liked that game. I believe that was the one and only GBA game I've ever learned because I lost it thanks to my little brother claiming someone stole it. I'm still mad he convinced me to get a GBA instead of a Dreamcast since obviously a DC is much harder to lose.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: GaryPotter on November 16, 2011, 12:18:57 AM
I hate first person shooters. The only one I've ever played was Quake 4, and only because I got it as a gift.
Maybe that's because Quake 4 is terrible. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: GaryPotter on November 16, 2011, 12:29:14 AM
Ah the Turok series. It was a pretty unique game series during the N64 days. I used to rent it all the time. It's unfortunate that the last game bombed and the series is probably finished.

That kind of contradicts what you said about Quake 4 being the only FPS that you ever played, doesn't it?

Spark Of Spirit

I know the fanbase hates Bowser Jr., but since he is one of my mains in one of my favorite games*, I can't help but have a soft spot for the little guy.

*Toad & Bowser Jr team in Double Dash is unstoppable.

GaryPotter

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 16, 2011, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: GaryPotter on November 16, 2011, 12:29:14 AM

That kind of contradicts what you said about Quake 4 being the only FPS that you ever played, doesn't it?
Hmmm, I guess it does. Still, I mostly used the knife and bow-and-arrow so I never considered it a FPS.