Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Yeah, capcom vs games' combat system seems to be more geared toward's casual's. Unlike in other combo-focused fighting games like Guilty Gear, it's really easy to string together a 10+ hit combo in those games.

Spark Of Spirit

So far, I like about every aspect of the 3DS at this point in time more than I liked the DS at the same time when it came out.

I know that's really uncommon, but I really do like what the system is currently offering and it seems to only be improving in the coming year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I think WRPG's art direction is more horribly generic than JRPG's generic anime designs. I haven't played enough of either to claim one RPG is better than another but at first glance, I'd be more tempted to try a JRPG just because its character designs and worlds don't look like they'd put me to sleep.

Also, I hate when people claim others can't buy a game/refuse to buy something because they're too poor. Poverty is a serious issue in the world and I doubt somebody who's barely making ends meet would get into daily internet arguments on whether DLC or yearly sequels or new updated systems are worth buying full price for.

Rynnec

I actually find Super Smash Bros. Brawl's competitive metagame fun. Sure Meta Knight is OP, and there's the completely unnecessary tripping mechanic, but despite that I find competitive Brawl matches to be more intense to watch and partake in (granted, I never had a chance to fight in Melee competitively, but still). I am interested in the "Balanced Brawl" hack though.

Adding to that, I think SSB should be acknowledged more as a tournament fighter just as much as "proper" fighting games. Smash tends to get dismissed in most circles due to its status as a party game. Yeah the series is a party game, but it can also be a competitive fighter just as much, which is the great thing about Smash.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on December 03, 2011, 05:34:24 PM
I think WRPG's art direction is more horribly generic than JRPG's generic anime designs. I haven't played enough of either to claim one RPG is better than another but at first glance, I'd be more tempted to try a JRPG just because its character designs and worlds don't look like they'd put me to sleep.

Agreed. I really do wish that more Western developers would take their art direction/design cues from Japanese ones more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on December 03, 2011, 05:34:24 PM
Also, I hate when people claim others can't buy a game/refuse to buy something because they're too poor. Poverty is a serious issue in the world and I doubt somebody who's barely making ends meet would get into daily internet arguments on whether DLC or yearly sequels or new updated systems are worth buying full price for.

Well, I don't know if I would fall into that category myself, but usually I tend to say that I can never buy games....at full price, anyways. To be honest I rarely buy games period since I don't have a job right now being that I'm a full-time college student and find the work-load to be too busy and unforgiving for me to spare time to make some money, unfortunately. That said I do like to save up some money that I've made over the summer or received as gifts during holidays to buy games that interest me at cheap prices, and usually I get them used. But as far as new releases go, I only ever get those as gifts. I don't actually think that I've bought a game at full price since the beginning of this gen.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Oh no, that's totally understandable. I don't think I made my gripe clear.

What I mean is there are certain people that try to downplay naysayers by claiming they're "too poor" to afford something like a pre-order bonus or post-release DLC or something like that. It's a horrible defense and just plain dumb to to use against people who have no intention of buying extra content in the first place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, my bad, I completely misread your post. I pretty much agree. I personally abhor the current practice of most game companies in terms of how they handle DLC content and add-ons (in terms of a lot of that stuff being things that were supposed to be included with the main game, anyways), and the people who try to defend that are usually just spoiled ass-holes who have little to no value for hard-earned money.

I myself am one of the people who refuses to buy into stuff like that, so I can totally understand what you're saying, in that regard.

Foggle

Pretty much all WRPGs look alike. Pretty much all JRPGs look alike. Nature of the beast and all. Both of their usual styles are incredibly boring and lame, IMO.

Anyway, I saw this post on GameFAQs, and I agree with it 100%:
QuoteThe "new generation" of gamers? No, the new gen of gamers is already here, and it's YOU folks.

Let's take a trip down memory lane, 1994, back when Sonic 3 cost $50 (S&K also cost ANOTHER $50, and was part of the same game, AND OMGOSH THEY PLANNED IT BEFORE RELEASE :@...), which was ironically the first Sonic game that allowed you to save your game...before that you'd dish out $50, and not even a guarantee that you'd see the end of the game...and that's after the Genesis itself set you back $200. Where a 15-hour game was unheard of, the third dimension in gaming was a wet dream, and you knew main characters by the font they spoke in.

Flash forward, 2011 just 15 years later, and kids are complaining that their 30-hour, do-anything-you-want game doesn't give them enough game-breaking cheats at once. Or that having 50km3 in a game is "SOOO SMALL". Or that you'd rather unlock no fall damage instead of using the parachute (Y button, midair). Seriously?

Or the fact that when their shiny, new, truthfully fun-to-play game gets DLC announced "too early", instead of taking it as "my new game's being supported!", it's "DEY WANT MY MONIEZ". Expansions have been in videogames for AGES, the internet has merely made it easier to get your hands on it, and cheaper too.

Before you call this a bad game again, or ANY game with clearly SOME level of polish put into it, go play an ACTUAL bad game.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not all that fond of how rabid Nintendo fans treat other retro companies (and their libraries) as lesser at times. Nintendo was not alone when it was making classics, and if it wasn't for companies like Sega, Hudson, SNK, Sunsoft, Compile, Virgin Interactive, and many others, Nintendo wouldn't be where it is today. The day I see someone whine about how the VC didn't release Yoshi Story but instead released Blazing Lazers and Streets Of Rage 2 but they never played them (and curse Nintendo at releasing "junk") because of some blind loyalty is saddening.

Nintendo was not the only one making classics in the old days.

Note that this is more of an opinion of mine and not based on any kind of consistent behavior so I posted it here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on December 05, 2011, 10:59:44 AM
I'm not all that fond of how rabid Nintendo fans treat other retro companies (and their libraries) as lesser at times. Nintendo was not alone when it was making classics, and if it wasn't for companies like Sega, Hudson, SNK, Sunsoft, Compile, Virgin Interactive, and many others, Nintendo wouldn't be where it is today. The day I see someone whine about how the VC didn't release Yoshi Story but instead released Blazing Lazers and Streets Of Rage 2 but they never played them (and curse Nintendo at releasing "junk") because of some blind loyalty is saddening.

Nintendo was not the only one making classics in the old days.

Note that this is more of an opinion of mine and not based on any kind of consistent behavior so I posted it here.

That was also one of my gripes whenever I looked upon toonzone's VC thread back when the VC was booming with a new release every Monday. Hell, I actually wanted to try out some games on the TG16 myself since I never owned the system in my life and I always saw the VC service as not only a way to experience some of my old favorites, but a way to play something I never played before due to not owning the system, only renting the games from Blockbuster, or having limited range of games back in the day since I only got games as Birthday and Christmas gifts.

Hell it kind of sadden me when I saw that Zombies Ate My Neighbors wasn't welcomed with opened arms. I thought that game was a classic for the SNES and it was something I wanted to play so I played it and enjoyed it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll be honest about something: I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted series. I don't necessarily dislike the games, they are fine as movie games, but I don't really feel that they deserve to be as highly praised as they are. First of all, the 2nd game and the bits that I've tried of the first game on my friend's PS3 just feel way too restrictive. Sure, they have impressive graphics and voice acting and all that stuff, but those games are short campaigns that are one-time deals. There are no alternate paths, the AI is bare-bones so you rarely ever have to strategize, and they are heavily scripted and there are a lot of sections where I feel more like the game is playing itself rather than giving me complete control of playing the way that I want to play. Like I said, as a movie-game experience its fine but I really feel that it has weak replay value and overall I think there are better single-player campaigns out there. Honestly I feel that 10 years from now this game won't have aged as well as other top-notch games, but maybe I'm wrong and I'm the only one who can't get into the hype around it.

Spark Of Spirit

To be honest, I think I'm done with third person shooters. I just don't get much satisfaction out shooting realistic people with realistic guns, and I never really did. I played Uncharted and it was just sort of there for me. Even Vanquish, which was fun to play sort of wore on me as it went on, same with Bayonetta (even though that's hack and slash). Third person shooters have never really been a big genre to me, but I find myself just not caring for them at all anymore. Same with pretty much all RPGs and FPS games.

I know I sound like some kind of a gaming snob, but it's not that I detest any of these genres. They just don't really do anything for me anymore.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I got worn out on RPGs myself a long time ago (the last time I really enjoyed one was last gen). To me most of them are more tedious than fun, but that's just the way I feel, anyways.

As for TPS games, I'm not quite as worn out on them as Desensitized is, but I am tired of most of them. I still really loved Resident Evil 4 as its definitely one of the best games that I have ever played, which is saying a lot, but I'm not digging how this gen is really mostly just full of Gears of War clones (and I say this as someone who finds Gears of War relatively enjoyable, at least). I still really want to play Vanquish, and I eagerly await the release of Max Payne 3, so my interest in games within the genre isn't really dead, but I just doubt that I'll ever find any TPS games that I'll like on the same level that I do the original Max Payne and Resident Evil 4. Out of all of the ones that I've played this gen, Alan Wake came the closest, but at the same time I also feel like I saw the best of what it had to offer, so I doubt that any sequels will end up being any better than the first game for me (though I do look forward to American Nightmare, all the same).

As for FPS games....yeah, I'd be lying if I said that I haven't almost completely lost interest in them. That is to say, I still like what I like, but other than Bulletstorm, there isn't really a single other FPS game that I haven't already played this gen that really interests me (maybe Goldeneye to some extent as well, but I hear the console version of the game is weaker than the Wii version, so I doubt that I'll be picking it up until its down below $20 in price). Well, I should mention that I greatly anticipate BioShock Infinite, but that's still a while away, so as of right now there is little in the genre to hold my attention.

I've really been wanting a great platformer to play, but being limited to the XBOX360 clearly doesn't leave me with a lot of options. I am really tempted to pick-up Sonic Generations, but I'll be honest, knowing that it'll inevitably drop down in price by a significant amount within the matter of a couple of months, I'd rather hold off on it until its about $30, since as good as it is I just don't feel like paying full price for only 18 short levels and some challenges (I'm not denying that the game is great, but I do try to save money where I can and also get the most for my money).

My little sister got a Wii and I was enjoying playing NSMBW with her, but since I'm leaving tomorrow I doubt that I'll get the opportunity to come back here for at least another few weeks, so I won't have that to play anymore, either.

Really, though, I don't want to complain too much since the fact is that there are still games that interest me and that I want to get, and the fact that I'm having trouble deciding what games to get with my $50 Gamestop gift card is proof of that. I was also considering getting Rayman Origins (as someone who's never played a Rayman game in my life before), but that's sort of the same deal as Sonic Generations, and I'd rather hold off on that until it gets a price-drop, but I might just say screw it and end up getting 1 of those 2 games, anyways. Either that or I'll get Bayonetta or Vanquish and use the rest of my money to get some XBLA points.

Spark Of Spirit

Oddly enough, I really liked Alan Wake, but I thought it could have done without the scripted sequences and enemies. Not knowing what was going to happen was more fun in that game. Though I do agree that the shooting was satisfying, I just preferred exploring and escaping danger. Sort of like Deadly Premonition, I enjoyed surviving and exploring the most.

If your sister wants a fun platformer, there's always Sonic Colors! The thing's like $20 everywhere now, and I'm sure any kid would love it. Also if you don't have it, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360 has a ton of Genesis games on it that I'm sure you'd like such as Shinobi 3 and Ristar and that's also pretty cheap.

But for 360 platformers, the well is pretty dry. Sonic Generations, Rayman Origins, and Banjo Kazooie on XBLA is pretty much it as I've said before. I really hope next gen that most games will stick to every console, having to switch between all 3 this gen was pretty tiring.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its funny that you mention it, because I was thinking of using part of my gift card money to get her Sonic Colors. I got her to play the Sonic Generations demo and then she wanted me to get the actual full game so that she could play it, which is another good reason that I'm tempted to pick it up, since I do get to visit her at least once a month for the most part, and its a game that both she and I would enjoy, but when I think about it Sonic Colors is probably a better option since she can play when I'm gone.

How would you rate the difficulty in that game, though? At one point I was thinking of getting her DKCR, before I had to slap myself on the head as I remembered that she's just starting gaming and that game would be WAY too hard for her. Well, NSMBW can get hard as well, but at least the first few worlds seem more forgiving to casual gamers. At any rate, I'll probably wait until she at least beats that game before I decide to buy her anything else. I'd rather not overwhelm her with more than one game at a time, but thanks for the recommendation, and I'll be sure to keep it in mind. I might be able to get it for her as a gift in Easter if she finishes NSMBW by then (and considering how much time 2nd graders have on their hands, I wouldn't be surprised if she does).

As for Alan Wake, I didn't mind the scripted moments since they didn't end up taking over the whole gameplay experience, but I could do without them all the same (though admittedly some of them are pretty good at enhancing the overall atmosphere). To be honest, though, I kind of prefer the direction that American Nightmare is going in, kind of exploiting a bit of the sillier and comical elements of the story and characters without completely dropping the moody atmosphere of the in-game world that Alan Wake lives in. I do agree though that I liked the exploration elements of the game. Sure, the levels were linear, but there were a lot of opportunities for you to go off track and explore areas to be rewarded with collectibles or ammo, but also with the risk of running into more enemies or scares. That's a really neat way to design the game and it makes exploration both rewarding and intense, since you don't know what to expect except that you'll definitely find something, which always keeps me interested, personally. That's the reason for why an 8-hour game ended up taking me more than 12 hours to complete on my first run through it.