Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Colors has a really good difficulty level for the most part because there's less outright pit deaths and more "missing a jump and falling to a lower level" like the old Sonic games. The final level is pretty difficult and Asteroid Coaster has some tough parts, but for the most part the game's difficulty is pretty solid.

Nowhere NEAR DKCR's level, in any case.

the weirdest thing about Alan Wake was that I actually would have liked an "enemy closet" situation like in the Call Of Duty games which is weird because I hate that there. Obviously it doesn't have to be EXACTLY like that game, just something similar to make the enemies seem a lot more threatening and overpowering, and making you HAVE to move to escape before running out of ammo and supplies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Glad I'm easy to please. I like basically any video game that isn't so scripted as to make it devoid of fun (or just outright bad, of course). I love me some shootin' games.

But nothing beats a good stealth, survival horror, or beat 'em up/hack 'n slash game. Shame there aren't too many options available in any of those genres. I wish there were more stealth/horror hybrids like Siren and Half-Life 2 mod Flesh. Penumbra and Amnesia sort of qualify, but there aren't really enough enemies for me to count them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Sonic Colors sounds like it'll be a good 2nd game for her, but truth be told I'll probably just cave in and get Sonic Generations since I'm a little selfish, myself, but I'll probably leave my XBOX with her before I go back to college so that she can play it too (since I rarely have time to play when I'm in school, anyways). I've also been thinking of trading in a couple of my old XBOX360 games, so depending on how much I get for those I may get some additional money to buy Colors with.

As for Alan Wake, my personal favorite part of the game was when you were cornered on a rock concert stage, and where you were given enough supplies to go wild on the enemies, but at the same time it was still fairly challenging since enemies could easily overwhelm you if you weren't careful to check all sides around you to see where most enemies were coming from at any given time.

I do also like sections where you have to run away from enemies while taking out any that stumble in your path, however I don't like it when you're running from something that can instantly kill you. I like it more when things just get frantic and you have to act fast but can still skillfully make your way past most of the opposition while still having that tense feeling of being just seconds away from deaths door if you let your enemies overwhelm you. Those are the most memorable types of situations and from a gameplay perspective are the closest to actually scaring you since now you have a serious threat of dying.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the two types of things I hate in any games when it comes to enemies are insta-kill enemies (even more annoying when you aren't given any leeway on how to escape... CONDEMNED 2) and getting juggled after getting hit once. I don't mind taking a hit but no one's perfect, and getting punished for not being perfect 100% of the time is annoying and not very fun.

As for Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations, it's pretty much a coin toss for me. I think they're both pretty awesome, and am eagerly awaiting on DLC for the latter.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Oh good, another stealth game fan. I hate how there's little my favorite genres have to offer. Barely any good TPSs, stealth games, platformers for the 360, JRPGs and of course my favorite hack n slashes. Also beat em ups are embarassingly low this gen.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Stealth is fun except when you're "seen" and you have to do the whole level/section again or there's no way to stop an onslaught of enemies coming after you and you can't go back to stealth mode.

Otherwise it can be quite fun.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on December 31, 2011, 07:28:14 PM
Stealth is fun except when you're "seen" and you have to do the whole level/section again or there's no way to stop an onslaught of enemies coming after you and you can't go back to stealth mode.

I was thinking about that while I've been playing Assassin's Creed.

Foggle

And people wonder why I'm such a big supporter of games having a manual/quick save feature. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 31, 2011, 08:09:22 PM

And people wonder why I'm such a big supporter of games having a manual/quick save feature. ;)
I hate you.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 31, 2011, 08:10:38 PM

I hate you.
It's not save-scumming if it's built into the game. Seriously... it's part of what keeps things fun in stealth games. I hate when I get caught in MGS and have to wait for the guards to kill me because there's no traditional loading ability.

On that note, I rather like the system in Hitman, where you have a limited number of saves per level. Makes it so you can't save every five steps (which I don't do) without having to rely on bullshit autosaves.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 31, 2011, 08:34:14 PM

I hate you.
It's not save-scumming if it's built into the game. Seriously... it's part of what keeps things fun in stealth games. I hate when I get caught in MGS and have to wait for the guards to kill me because there's no traditional loading ability.

On that note, I rather like the system in Hitman, where you have a limited number of saves per level. Makes it so you can't save every five steps (which I don't do) without having to rely on bullshit autosaves.
:wth: That's worse!

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 31, 2011, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: Foggle on December 31, 2011, 08:34:14 PM

I hate you.

:wth: That's worse!
There's a reason why this thread is called "Unpopular Opinions On Gaming." :awesome:

gunswordfist

It's a nice way of saying,"Some of our opinions suck."

Spark Of Spirit

VVVVVV is really not that good.

I bought this for my 3DS based on hype, and once again I find myself disappointed with another indie platformer that focuses more on 'being retro' than understanding what makes platformers fun. The game is short, boring, and frequently resorts to cheap level design to inflate length. There's just nothing engaging about the whole experience, and it feels like another game people rave about because it "looks" retro than anything in the actual game.

I'm not going to say it's a "bad" game, because it's not. But I sure don't think it's anything great, and certainly doesn't deserve more hype than games like Mutant Mudds or Shadow Complex with actually do understand platformers and Metroidvanias (respectively, as MM is not a Metroidvania and Shadow Complex isn't really a platformer)) instead of this game which frequently has pixel perfect death screen after death screen and big stretches of nothing in its tiny map.

Sorry, I just don't think it's as good as advertised online.

Foggle

I love it. Got the PC version for $2.50 on Steam. Great fun and amazing music. :thumbup: