Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, you also have to compare it to pure platformers. Jak (other than the first one) and R&C depend upon action and shooting about as much as platforming, sort of like it's hard to compare Mega Man to Donkey Kong Country. If you prefer pure platformers, of course you'll like Mario more, but if you like action platformers you'll probably prefer the latter.

I would love more pure platformers to be made, but as it stands other than Sonic and Mario there really aren't very many pure 3D platformers this gen.

I don't mind Skylanders existing (since Spyro was already dead by that point) but I really wish they didn't redesign his character. He looks awful now. Now that Insomniac is willing to do more for third parties maybe Activision will get smart and get them to make a spyro game again (or even more interesting.. get them to make a new Crash Bandicoot!)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Ratchet and Jak weren't exactly good examples on my part; unfortunately, I can't think of any current 3D pure platformers aside from Sonic. What I mean to say is that just because Mario Galaxy is amazing doesn't mean that there aren't other currently existing 3D platformers (pure or otherwise) that are just as good. ;) Since I went the action route here, go ahead and add Mega Man onto my list of awesome classics.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 11:21:26 AM
Well, you also have to compare it to pure platformers. Jak (other than the first one) and R&C depend upon action and shooting about as much as platforming, sort of like it's hard to compare Mega Man to Donkey Kong Country. If you prefer pure platformers, of course you'll like Mario more, but if you like action platformers you'll probably prefer the latter.

I would love more pure platformers to be made, but as it stands other than Sonic and Mario there really aren't very many pure 3D platformers this gen.

I don't mind Skylanders existing (since Spyro was already dead by that point) but I really wish they didn't redesign his character. He looks awful now. Now that Insomniac is willing to do more for third parties maybe Activision will get smart and get them to make a spyro game again (or even more interesting.. get them to make a new Crash Bandicoot!)
While thinking about Spyro, I've been thinking about how I'm perfectly fine with Crash staying dead. Crash's gameplay was outdated before it even came out. I believe Jak & Daxter was basically like how Crash would have been if the game had freedom. I'm only interested in seeing another good Crash Team Racing which I liked more than Mario Kart 64.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 11:46:34 AM

While thinking about Spyro, I've been thinking about how I'm perfectly fine with Crash staying dead. Crash's gameplay was outdated before it even came out. I believe Jak & Daxter was basically like how Crash would have been if the game had freedom. I'm only interested in seeing another good Crash Team Racing which I liked more than Mario Kart 64.

Why do you think it was outdated already?

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 19, 2012, 11:51:03 AM

:whuh: :wth: :shit: Dude, come in. You walked in a straight path for most of the games (well, I barely played 2, but I know 1 and 3 were like that) The series was far too linear.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 11:56:24 AM

:whuh: :wth: :shit: Dude, come in. You walked in a straight path for most of the games (well, I barely played 2, but I know 1 and 3 were like that) The series was far too linear.

Mario Galaxy, and it's sequel, are linear.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 19, 2012, 12:03:06 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 11:56:24 AM

Mario Galaxy, and it's sequel, are linear.
No way are they as linear as Crash. It's a single path through most of the levels in the game. The games would have to have Crash walk through a tiny hallway to get any more linear.

Spark Of Spirit

Yet it's still less linear than Uncharted! Yeah, the Crash games were linear and Naughty Dog basically trumped the whole Crash series with J&D, but like people keep reminding me in regards to Super Mario 64, it was the early days of 3D platforming so the style wasn't solidified yet, yet the Crash games are still very fun to replay nowadays and the graphics have aged surprisingly well for a game from that era.

Twinsanity proved that there is still life in Crash since it had wider levels and creative ideas (the game wasn't perfect, though), the problem is the execution has been lacking for a long time because Activision refuses to get a team who cares.

It would be interesting to see what someone like Insomniac could do for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Nah, they should just focus on the Jak series. It would be kind of cool if they released both a Jak II/III action type of platformer and a seperate pure platformer like I believe the first was. (never played it, just II)

But with how much I hate Jak II's targeting, I wouldn't mind a pure platformer Jak :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 12:36:26 PMBut with how much I hate Jak II's targeting, I wouldn't mind a pure platformer Jak :sly:
If you like platformers, you should really play the first game. There's no shooting, it's all just platforming and exploring (with no load times!) and it plays a lot like the Crash games just with more to do.

But I'm biased since I really didn't like the turn Jak II did to the series, but others (like Foggle) enjoyed it, so your mileage may vary!  ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2012, 12:41:15 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2012, 12:36:26 PMBut with how much I hate Jak II's targeting, I wouldn't mind a pure platformer Jak :sly:
If you like platformers, you should really play the first game. There's no shooting, it's all just platforming and exploring (with no load times!) and it plays a lot like the Crash games just with more to do.

But I'm biased since I really didn't like the turn Jak II did to the series, but others (like Foggle) enjoyed it, so your mileage may vary!  ;)
Well since I never played the first I didn't mind that Jak II was a shooter.  :D I definitely want to play it.

Foggle

The thing about Jak 2 is that the platforming is still awesome and the amount of variety in level design/objectives is amazing, but they added shooting to it for no reason. I personally don't mind the combat, but it'd be even higher on my list if the guns were removed entirely (or if the game used a system like the R&C sequels).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2012, 01:24:29 PM

The thing about Jak 2 is that the platforming is still awesome and the amount of variety in level design/objectives is amazing, but they added shooting to it for no reason. I personally don't mind the combat, but it'd be even higher on my list if the guns were removed entirely (or if the game used a system like the R&C sequels).
The shooting I remember just being ambivalent about, it was completely pointless. The only thing I remember straight up hating was the racing because your bike felt like it was made of glass and it made racing a chore. If the game just cut out the GTA cops and racing stuff and focused on platforming more I probably would have stuck with it longer. But I'll see whenever I get to play the HD collection nd play through them all again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is it just me or are so many gaming journalists and regular gamers in general just jumping on the "WiiU will fail" bandwagon? I mean, people seem to be so critical of the console and Nintendo's future in the gaming industry and its not even close to its launch date, yet. Some people say that its making the same mistake as the Dreamcast and being released too prematurely (which is a bunch of shit because if the DC had released later than it did it would have done even worse due to having much more competition from the start). I do get the point that right now most people might not be ready to buy a new console due to the current state of the economy and stuff like that, but I hate how people act like Nintendo can only throw gimmicks at us and isn't capable of adapting to modern gaming standards or some shit like that. I wonder if any of these people have actually bothered to play some of the best games available on the Wii and the DS/3DS. As far as things stands, Nintendo is the current king of single-player gaming. For whatever reason people seem to think that Microsoft and Sony will be much more successful. Perhaps that's true, but as far as I'm concerned they are pushing gaming in a direction that I absolutely LOATHE. It just pisses me off that so many gamers seem to think that they will produce the better consoles when their best exclusives are mostly lazily produced movie games than just have nothing more high production values to back them.

For some reason there seems to be a growing bias against Nintendo from gamers, and I just don't get it. Early on in the Wii's life-cycle it did start off pretty weak, honestly, but Nintendo picked themselves up from that with a great line-up of games. Unfortunately most of them must be pretty niche since aside from Super Mario Galaxy and maybe Zelda games to a lesser extent, nobody seems to recognize the plethora of other great games the Wii has had to offer to us that, IMO, the XBOX360 and PS3 can't even begin to compare to.

Admittedly, I'm not looking to by a WiiU at launch, or even soon after that (I can't even afford it if I wanted to), but if I ever do decide to bite and go for a next-gen console, I'd easily pick that over the next XBOX or Play Station any day, myself.

Spark Of Spirit

I must be the only person in the world who will find the controller tablet being able to be played off the TV a huge killer app, because I really love it. Since the system is confirmed to support the tablet, the wiimote and its attachments (including the best controller ever- the Classic Controller Pro) as well as having vastly improved online (the 3DS is already pretty good, this should be great) and having an assured amazing first party line up means it should be on any gamers wishlist. Not that everyone can afford a new system, but I can't see not wanting one.

The new system will support motion controls, touch controls, and traditional controls out of the box as well as even have a bit of portability to it, and will be in the same ballpark as Sony and Microsoft's next machines which means it will get third party support this time.

So no, I don't get the negativity.