Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's an unpopular opinion:

I think Western gamers are way too full of themselves when they say that Japan can't compare anymore and that Western games are so far ahead out of reach. Personally I think that modern AAA games in general, no matter which country they are from, are pretty underwhelming for the most part compared to what was offered to us in the past, but on the note of Western vs Japanese games, the Western journalists and developers seem to be under the delusion that they are constatnly evolving games, when all I see (and further proven by this year's E3) are the same tired and recycled gimmicks and scripted gameplay that we've seen for years now.

I'll admit, earlier this gen I was wowed by stuff like Gears of War and even Call of Duty to some extent, but it didn't take long for me to realize how shallow and boring those games became once you've already played through them. I didn't care for the multiplayer in either games like those, so with weak single-player, they dated themselves in a matter of weeks for me. Western gamers are somehow under the delusion that most of Western gaming output for big AAA titles is on such a high level now, when really they are far bigger offenders of recycling gameplay cliches and following bad trends because of laziness. At least Japanese games have clearly been trying to change and adapt over the past few years (not that I even think that games have really evolved that much since last-gen on a practical level, honestly). No Western game, even ones that I like, has done anything to really surprise me and revolutionize the way games are played since last gen.

Actually, even though I only played it last year, I feel like the last game to have any sort of revolution on how single-player games are played was Resident Evil 4, which of course was a Japanese game (that is to say that ever since it has come out, every third person shooter uses the over-the-shoulder camera angle, hence it being something revolutionary for its time).

At any rate, I just feel that modern gamers have become such snobs about current big release games. I find it kind of funny and ironic that the games that cost the most money to make and undergo the most development time (in other words the big AAA releases) are among the least interesting games for me this gen.

Spark Of Spirit

The best looking and playing third party games at E3 were Project P-100, NSMBU, and Rayman Legends, in my opinion.

I really don't like the gritty AAA western game look. Every game looks exactly the same. There are no art styles, no variety in gameplay, and QTEs all over the place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 05, 2012, 06:59:57 PM
I think Western gamers are way too full of themselves when they say that Japan can't compare anymore and that Western games are so far ahead out of reach.
A-fucking-men.

Vanquish > Gears of War
Bayonetta > DmC
Ninja Gaiden 2 > God of War 3
Deadly Premonition > Heavy Rain
Dragon's Dogma > Skyrim
Siren: Blood Curse > Silent Hill: Homecoming
Metal Gear Solid 4 > Splinter Cell: Conviction

Oh, and my favorite:
Cave Story > Fez

gunswordfist

Don't make fun of Gears Of War. >:(

gunswordfist

Final Fantasy VIII is better than IX just because 9's characters suck. Well all except 2. And everything else about IX is better than VIII. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid, but VIII is the only game I like better for "RPG" reasons. And the two IX characters that are actually good are Zidane (ironically enough, he's better than all VIII characters imo, but just one character) and Vivi.

Avaitor

But IX is fun, while VIII just sucks.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played up to disc 3 of FF IX and its probably the most tolerable FF game that I've ever played. I still got bored of it eventually which is why I quit.

I never played any of VIII, myself, but my older brother rented it once and got pretty far in it (at least I think he did, since he played it for over 20 hours before returning it). I really have no interest in the FF series, though, so I'll probably never try out any of the other games for myself.

Nel_Annette

I don't like any of the Final Fantasy games. I'm serious, sadly. I've played every single one at least once except for XI and XIV, and I've played quite a few of the side games. Stories and characters have never engaged me. And yet... I keep buying them. I'm an idiot. It's like owning FF games because they're "essential" or some shit. XD

Ironically, the only one I've actually beaten is III for the DS, and that barely even had a story.

And I think I might give VI another go. I actually was a bit invested in it until I reached the part where you have to use the fighter character on the mountain. Couldn't control his moves for shit. Gave up. lol

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on June 29, 2012, 09:53:16 PMAnd I think I might give VI another go. I actually was a bit invested in it until I reached the part where you have to use the fighter character on the mountain. Couldn't control his moves for shit. Gave up. lol
I actually can't get past this part anymore because I can't get my head around Blitz moves anymore. But if you manage to get past this part, the game gets awesome.

But there's more to Square-Enix than Final Fantasy. Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Illusion Of Gaia, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend Of Mana, Soul Blazer, Secret Of Evermore, ActRaiser...

There's lots of good stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Putting Pokemon games aside, Chrono Trigger is the only JRPG that I've ever played that held my interest long enough for me to reach the end. Keep in mind that by reaching the end I don't mean that I beat the game. I got up to the final battle with Lavos (at least I think it was the final battle, since it was like the 3rd time I was fighting him in the game), and then I died. It wasn't even that it was that hard for me given how much I had leveled up my characters, but I just realized that by adjusting my strategy some more I could take him out in another attempt or so. The thing is, I just lost the motivation to beat the game at that point in time. I'm not sure why, but I just had not interest in it anymore. Maybe I'll go back someday and finish it off just for the sake of completeness, though.

Spark Of Spirit

You might enjoy some of the games I listed. They're all pretty interesting.

Speaking of FFIX, the main party (Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Dagger) have a great dynamic with each other and help make the story more involving. The big issue to me is the secondary characters, most of them are just not very good or interesting. They should have kept it like V where you basically have one party (of 4) for the entire game.