Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

I don't know unpopular of an opinion it is, but one thing I've noticed about GAF is so many people there hate the North American version of the SNES and love the PAL version.  I'm the opposite, I think the NA version looks great, and don't much care for the PAL version.  The color buttons on the controller are cool, but that's really the only thing I like about it versus the NA one.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2012, 06:38:18 PM
You might enjoy some of the games I listed. They're all pretty interesting.

Speaking of FFIX, the main party (Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Dagger) have a great dynamic with each other and help make the story more involving. The big issue to me is the secondary characters, most of them are just not very good or interesting. They should have kept it like V where you basically have one party (of 4) for the entire game.
I barely noticed Steiner in the game and I think Dagger is a generic princess character.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Geezer

Quote from: Comeau on July 06, 2012, 11:05:08 PM
I don't know unpopular of an opinion it is, but one thing I've noticed about GAF is so many people there hate the North American version of the SNES and love the PAL version.  I'm the opposite, I think the NA version looks great, and don't much care for the PAL version.  The color buttons on the controller are cool, but that's really the only thing I like about it versus the NA one.
I think the PAL controller looks better than the NA one, but the NA console looks better than the PAL one.

Also, this was so much better-designed than the original, bulkier NES:

Geezer

One other unpopular opinion... GREATEST. CONTROLLER. EVER.

Foggle

The GameCube controller is easily Nintendo's best, IMO. :joy:

Avaitor

I actually hated the original Wavebird. I always thought it was very clunky.

The actual Gamecube controller, though? That's the shit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

This isn't the most popular opinion overall. But you do frequently hear about it from people on the internet, or reviewers and critics.

I'm personally not a fan of this idea that game franchises have to constantly "reinvent" themselves or bring something totally new with every game. And when they don't, the critics will say it "feels stale". I mean, new stuff can be nice, particularly when done well... But there's a reason people are coming back to these franchises. Cause they have a formula that works. Let's look at Star Fox 64. It was awesome. Wouldn't the next logical step to have been improve on that Arwing gameplay, and make a game with better levels and multiple routes? Instead, the next games are a sub-par Zelda ripoff, and a mesh of different ideas that don't work, with a few Arwing levels sprinkled in here and there.

Consistency is the most important. What does Mario do right? It just gives players what they want. New ideas are introduced (outer space, etc.), but they merely compliment what Mario does best: platforming... The water backpack from Sunshine is the exception here, though. Such a shameless gimmick. And what do you know? People weren't happy with that game.

Commode

I have one of those top-loader NESs, but I never use it.  No particular reason, but I always use the VCR NES.  I was actually thinking about selling it.

Foggle

Star Fox Adventures wasn't even supposed to be a Star Fox game, though, it was just branded as such to sell more copies.

But the comparison still works if you look at the jump from 64's awesomeness to Assault, which sucked horribly.

Spark Of Spirit

I agree with talon. I like improvements, not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, the GC's d-pad sucked. Especially for 2D games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as controllers go, I like the Dreamcast controller the most from all of the last-gen console controllers (except the XBOX controller is best for FPS games, but that's only if you're not taking a mouse and keyboard into consideration).

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but while I was always a bigger fan of Nintendo growing up, I did honestly prefer the Sega Genesis controller to the SNES one. It was somewhat short on buttons, but the 6-button controller pretty much fixed that problem. Anyways, the reason why I liked it so much was because it honestly felt a lot more comfortable to play with, and I felt like I could get a much more firm grip on it while holding it.

Foggle

I like the Dreamcast controller a lot, but I hate the way the stick twists around slightly. It doesn't take long to get used to, but that's a bit of a questionable design choice IMO.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on July 08, 2012, 07:38:08 AM
I have one of those top-loader NESs, but I never use it.  No particular reason, but I always use the VCR NES.  I was actually thinking about selling it.

Yeah, same here. Although my classic NES is really a piece of crap anymore and is pretty much on its last legs (I even tried taking it apart last summer and fixing it myself; obviously that went nowhere).

I'd like to get a new one (well, as new as it can get; you know what I mean), with the 72-pin connector fixed. You can find restored ones pretty easily on Amazon, but they're a bit too rich for my blood right now. And that's a shame, because I always did like the classic model more.

Spark Of Spirit

Sega was always good with controllers. The Saturn controller was especially good and I really enjoy using the classic controller for SNES games, but I do have an unpopular opinion:

I really enjoying using the sideways Wiimote for NES games, Turbographx games, and some Genesis games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 08, 2012, 07:42:57 PM

I really enjoying using the sideways Wiimote for NES games, Turbographx games, and some Genesis games.
I do that too, but I don't particularly like the Classic Controller, so I don't use it if I don't have too.

I still want to get one of those adapters that let you use your SNES or N64 controller on the Wii.  Like these: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=8401bcbda826de4f96e465edf60ed95b

There's a N64 one somewhere that's in the same style, but I guess it's a different site.