Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The Sega Ages remakes of Phantasy Star 1 and 2 are supposedly really good, but the originals are hard to play for anyone used to more modern RPGs. If you can put your head in an earlier time, you'll find some fun RPGs.

You guys should really try some of the games I listed if you're unsure of the genre. They are pretty enjoyable.

I also forgot to list Arc The Lad 1 and 2. Probably the best JRPGs Sony ever made.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Anyway, my favorite JRPG is Chrono Trigger. It'll take a lot for something to change that in the future, cause that game just worked so well in every way. It might not have necessarily been the best in any individual category, but it was just a very all around great game. Really enjoyed the battle system, story, characters, atmosphere, music, locations, pretty much everything.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 18, 2012, 06:19:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 18, 2012, 06:01:20 PM
I pretty much agree with most of that. But here's mine:

The only JRPGs with good or enjoyable stories are: Ys series, Final Fantasy IV-VII and IX, Grandia 1, Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Terranigma, Live A Live, Final Fantasy Tactics, Brave Fencer Musashi, Phantasy Star I-IV, Wild ARMs 1-3, Suikoden I-V, Valkyria Chronicles, Vagrant Story, Paper Mario series, Mother 3, Breath Of Fire 1-3 (and Dragon Quarter), Ogre Battle, Tales Of Destiny, Mario & Luigi 1 and 3, Trails In The Sky, Valkyrie Profile series, Fire Emblem series, Persona series, Radiant Historia, and Final Fantasy XII.

Not to say others aren't fun gameplay-wise, but these are the only ones with stories I actually enjoy. That I've played, anyway.

Not sure that use of "only" works too well here.  :sweat:
Well, this thread is about unpopular opinions, after all. But outside of the ones I listed (and the ones I forget like ATL 1 and 2), I usually get bored of playing the game unless the battle system is really good. It's pretty much the only reason I got through Grandia II, that story was such a terrible letdown (and rather dumb) compared to the freshness of the original.

There's also a few I haven't played yet like Skies Of Arcadia. But as a whole I would say those are the best in the genre.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Count me in as one of those people that like the RPG genre, but doesn't have the attention span to really get through them.

I do tend to prefer Turn-based combat to real time, if only because turn-based tends to look flashier.

gunswordfist

I don't know that many good real-time RPGs. I love the strategy in turn-based ones. I don' delve too much into being tactical but I do like taking my time to figure out the best move to do. I want to invest my time in another one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

By the way, Foggle, I'd like to get your thoughts on this mention.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 18, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
Though there are exceptions, like Silent Hill 2, which probably still has the best video game story.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd rather him talk more about 4 since I probably won't ever get to play that one.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 18, 2012, 06:37:43 PM
By the way, Foggle, I'd like to get your thoughts on this mention.
Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 18, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
Though there are exceptions, like Silent Hill 2, which probably still has the best video game story.
Best game stories IMO (no particular order):
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Spec Ops: The Line
Killer7
Planescape: Torment
BioShock
Persona 2 (both parts)
Persona 3
Metal Gear Solid
Yakuza
Alan Wake
Max Payne 2
Brothers In Arms series
Portal 2
The Suffering
The Darkness
The Darkness 2
Borderlands 2 (yes, really)
Saints Row 2 (again, yes, really)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 18, 2012, 06:41:15 PM
I'd rather him talk more about 4 since I probably won't ever get to play that one.
It's a chore to play, but still scary and interesting story-wise. Leagues above Homecoming/Origins/Shattered Memories IMO, but that's about it.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually enjoyed what little I played of the story in the original Silent Hill.

I also noticed you forgot Deadly Premonition. That's actually probably my most favorite use of story in a game since it's like Lynch but makes a lot more cogent sense once you beat it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 18, 2012, 06:54:29 PM
I actually enjoyed what little I played of the story in the original Silent Hill.
It's good, but it's not as twisty, deep, or memorable as 2 and 3.

QuoteI also noticed you forgot Deadly Premonition. That's actually probably my most favorite use of story in a game since it's like Lynch but makes a lot more cogent sense once you beat it.
Yep, I did forget Deadly Premonition. Metro 2033 too. D'oh!

gunswordfist

Max Payne 1 is probably my favorite (minus the freakings and casting random staff members as characters). It's because it gives you a good excuse to go on a variety of levels and that's all I could ask for from a shooter.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 18, 2012, 06:58:47 PM
Max Payne 1 is probably my favorite (minus the freakings and casting random staff members as characters). It's because it gives you a good excuse to go on a variety of levels and that's all I could ask for from a shooter.
Max Payne 1, Resident Evil 4, and God Hand (among others) would go on my "favorite" stories list, but not my "best" stories list. ;)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on December 18, 2012, 06:47:48 PM
Best game stories IMO (no particular order):
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Spec Ops: The Line
Killer7
Planescape: Torment
BioShock
Persona 2 (both parts)
Persona 3
Metal Gear Solid
Yakuza
Alan Wake
Max Payne 2
Brothers In Arms series
Portal 2
The Suffering
The Darkness
The Darkness 2
Borderlands 2 (yes, really)
Saints Row 2 (again, yes, really)

I'd say the first Silent Hill at least deserves a mention somewhere, at least to me it does. Sure, it's not on the level of 2's, but I really liked exploring Alessa's nightmare, and the larval stalkers are probably one of my top 5 favorite monsters in the series (assuming they count).

As for 4, none of the post-3 games matter anyway. :sly:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 18, 2012, 07:00:22 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 18, 2012, 06:58:47 PM
Max Payne 1, Resident Evil 4, and God Hand (among others) would go on my "favorite" stories list, but not my "best" stories list. ;)
I got ya. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In regard to Foggle's post about the best stories, as far as Alan Wake goes, I agree that it has a really good story up to episode 5, but personally I think that Episode 6 and the DLC episodes really go in a direction that I don't care for by putting way too much focus on Alan's psyche rather than keeping the more subtle psychological elements from the first 5 episodes while mixing it in with a creepy atmosphere that you know isn't just in Alan's mind.