Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 20, 2012, 03:10:38 PM
Modern game soundtracks stink
MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns, House of the Dead Overkill, Sonic Colors/Generations, Yakuza 3/4, Lollipop Chainsaw, No More Heroes 1/2, Serious Sam 3, VVVVVV, Borderlands 2, Bayonetta, Catherine, and Deus Ex Human Revolution would like a word with you. (And that's just off the top of my head.)

I agree that the ones in the video were bland, though.

Spark Of Spirit

But none of those are ever talked about or publicized, which leads me to believe they are the extreme minority.

I mean, Mass Effect 3?!!? What is impressive about that? It sounds exactly like a random sci-fi movie's score.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 20, 2012, 03:24:55 PM
But none of those are ever talked about or publicized, which leads me to believe they are the extreme minority.
Everyone loves them, though. Sure, they aren't recognized by the gaming media, but who cares? Almost everyone who plays those games ends up loving the music, and the devs know that. ;)

QuoteI mean, Mass Effect 3?!!? What is impressive about that? It sounds exactly like a random sci-fi movie's score.
Well, I loved the credits song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0q945A4iMc :D

gunswordfist

Mass Effect 2 has only two good themes. Those couple being Collector's Theme (If all the music was this good, then the game's soundtrack would not be overrated at all) and the music that plays for like two seconds after Jack escapes (WhyTF can't I find this on the internet?!!)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't agree that modern music sucks, because that's way too generalized of a term. If that's true, then that includes the likes of a lot of modern games really really good music, such as the ones Foggle mentioned, and it also includes the likes of stuff like Sonic Colors which has a soundtrack that Desensitized actually likes.

I just think that the music that most modern gamers find to be good isn't that great, and that their taste in music just sucks. This of course doesn't apply to me because naturally my opinion is better than everyone else's. :>

Also, Halo has always had and still has great music. Fuck anyone who disagrees. :anger:

Spark Of Spirit

Until the flood shows up, anyway. Then the cool music vanishes with the fun. :gonk:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Geez, what happened to the Halo's soundtrack? It sounds generic as hell without Marty'O Donnel.

I can't say that modern VG music sucks either, for the reasons EK and Foggle already stated. That would mean that Blazblue and Hard Corps Uprising's soundtracks suck, and that's simply not true as it's impossible for anything composed by Daisuke Ishiwatari to suck. ;)

gunswordfist

And another one of Spark's generalizations about modern games falls flat on it's face. I'm surprised.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 20, 2012, 04:02:05 PM
Until the flood shows up, anyway. Then the cool music vanishes with the fun. :gonk:

They still have a lot of the good themes return even after you encounter The Flood. Its not like once you encounter them the only music you here is The Flood theme (which wasn't even used that much in the sequels, anyways).

Quote from: Rynnec on December 20, 2012, 04:12:34 PM
Geez, what happened to the Halo's soundtrack? It sounds generic as hell without Marty'O Donnel.

I actually completely forgot that Halo 4 even exists when I said that the music from Halo is still good. I was referring to all Halo games up to Reach. I actually still haven't played 4 and have no idea what its music sounds like. I'm not surprised to hear that it sounds generic, though. Once I found out that Marty O' Donnel was no longer composing the music, I immediately lowered my expectations for this game's soundtrack.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 20, 2012, 04:28:13 PM
No, I'm still right.  8)

Alright. So then, going by your logic of modern gaming music sucking in general, its fair to say that Sonic Colors and a lot of the modern "retro-style" games that you like the music from have shit soundtracks. Am I correct? :sly:

No, but seriously, if your statement was that the music from "most" modern AAA games suck, then I might actually agree with you. I cannot, however, say that most modern music in gaming sucks in general, because its not true.

Spark Of Spirit

There's always exceptions, but for the most part I don't really care for most music in games nowadays. The best soundtracks of last gen were Sonic Colors and Mega Man 9 in my view, if they were the norm then my opinion would absolutely change.

Especially in the FPS area. Halo is the exception, but nothing really comes close to the awesomeness of the DOOM games aside from a random game here or there. Such as Serious Sam or HOTD.

Not counting licensed soundtracks, anyway, that's kind of a different thing.

talonmalon333

On the topic of modern game music... if I wasn't being so lazy at the moment (or ever) this would be the part where I link to every song in Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2. :P

I actually didn't think a lot of Sonic Color's soundtrack. I mean it was good, but the main theme was kind of annoying.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 21, 2012, 05:15:53 PM
I actually didn't think a lot of Sonic Color's soundtrack. I mean it was good, but the main theme was kind of annoying.
The main theme is the only bad song in the game. And it is shit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 21, 2012, 04:56:52 PM
There's always exceptions, but for the most part I don't really care for most music in games nowadays. The best soundtracks of last gen were Sonic Colors and Mega Man 9 in my view, if they were the norm then my opinion would absolutely change.

Eh, Like I said, I only agree with you as far as AAA games go, which usually end up using the same generic "chanting" music to sound "epic," which is apparently enough for the standards of most modern gamers. However, there are still tons of great original soundtracks in gaming if you look in the right places, at least for me. I have found a ton of fun themes in fighting games, action games (mostly 2D side-scrollers), platformers, and other games in more niche genres where they clearly put a lot more effort into the music than the big-budget games of today do.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 21, 2012, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 21, 2012, 05:15:53 PM
The main theme is the only bad song in the game. And it is shit.
Really, that song is awful. But every other theme is pretty awesome, I don't think there was a bad track in the bunch. It was the first 3D Sonic since Adventure 1 where I found myself listening to the soundtrack outside of the game.