Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For what its worth, given my limited exposure to the Metroid series, I didn't automatically hate this game based on its bad story. As for the gameplay, it had its kinks and flaws, but I actually did enjoy playing most of the game, as short as it was.

If nothing else, I'd say that its probably the best post-Itagaki Team Ninja developed game from a gameplay standpoint....which, unfortunately isn't really saying much, but if you've seen how bad Ninja Gaiden 3 is, it could've been much, much worse.

RacattackForce

Oh, and remember when the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed Milon's Secret Castle? Well...I find it to actually be a pretty fun game. Have yet to beat it, but it's pretty damn fun. Keep finding new secrets each time I boot up my emulator to play.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: RacattackForce on April 03, 2013, 06:03:13 PM
Oh, and remember when the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed Milon's Secret Castle? Well...I find it to actually be a pretty fun game. Have yet to beat it, but it's pretty damn fun. Keep finding new secrets each time I boot up my emulator to play.
Have you ever played the Japan-only sequel? They have it on the North American VC, but it's still only in Japanese.

That game is pretty fantastic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

RacattackForce

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 03, 2013, 06:06:55 PM
Quote from: RacattackForce on April 03, 2013, 06:03:13 PM
Have you ever played the Japan-only sequel? They have it on the North American VC, but it's still only in Japanese.

That game is pretty fantastic.
Nope, but I'll get to playing it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that Resident Evil games should stick to having you only able to aim your weapons while you are standing still. Being able to aim on the move completely kills any tension to be had in a game like this, IMO. The critics and gamers who complained about shit like that in the first place are spoiled by modern action games and clearly don't get that RE games were designed around that. I had no problems standing still and shooting in RE4 because the enemies were slow and designed to be able to be dealt with fairly in that position. Being forced to stay still, however, did succeed in making certain situations feel more tense once I got cornered. That's pretty much the way it should be. And, even then, its not like there was anything incredibly challenging about the game, as it was still very manageable. I just think that too many modern gamers are used to everything being stream-lined for them. For me, though, that pretty much takes the fun out of games like this when they succumb to doing whatever other popular games in the genre do just because they're popular, but not taking into account whether it fits its own particular style or not.

Foggle

For all its faults, I actually really liked the new movement system in Resident Evil 6; however, it probably should have been used for another game. I agree with you about RE's controls.

gunswordfist

Meh, moving slow should make up for that. But then again, I have yet to play any of RE4.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's one to get me a bunch of hate:

While I can perfectly understand why people don't like the 2 to 3 weapon limit in FPS games, it honestly doesn't bother me that much if only because I find that in the case of most shooters that allow you to carry as many weapons as what are in the game, I don't actually use more than 2 or 3 of them, anyways.

Cases in point:

BioShock- I only ever switched between 3 weapons for > 90% of the game, the shotgun, the rocket launcher, and occasionally the wrench. Everything else just felt like a gimmick weapon (the machine gun was occasionally useful, but I honestly found it easier to melee enemies to death than to use that). The other weapons were good for if you found creative ways to use them, but they hardly had much practical use to them that ever made them more useful than the main 3 weapons which I switched between. In contrast, while a game like Halo only allowed you to carry 2 weapons at any given time, the irony of it all was that there actually were specific uses for each weapon that could make certain weapons more ideal than others in certain situations against certain enemies. Go figure. :-\

Half-Life 2- Shotgun, sub-machine gun (or pulse rifle, once I got that), and gravity gun. That's pretty much all I ever alternated between. Of course I used the hand-gun the most back when it was the only weapon available to me at the beginning of the game, but for the most part, I didn't have much use for any of the other weapons that I got unless I ran out of ammo for the ones that I used regularly.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast- Once I got the light-saber, the guns pretty much had no point to them altogether.

Foggle

The crossbow was literally the only weapon I found useful in BioShock once I got it. And up to that point, the only useful weapon was the shotgun. While that game was strong in many aspects, combat was not one of them IMO. Thankfully, Infinite is much better in that regard, though unlike the original, that one actually would have benefited from not having a two-weapon limit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2013, 06:29:11 AM
The crossbow was literally the only weapon I found useful in BioShock once I got it.

Well, that was useful too, but I always found that it had pretty limited ammo and took a bit too long to reload, so I never used it that much. I did find it to be really fun to use for its gimmick of being able to set up traps, though. I used that to take down some Big Daddies, and it was a lot of fun when I successfully set up a string of trap shots and provoked the Big Daddy to charge straight through them to get at me, only to watch it fall to the floor before it could even manage to touch me. ;D

Foggle

The thing is, once I got the crossbow, all the enemies just seemed to turn into bullet sponges, requiring 3+ head shots or 6+ body shots from the shotgun at close range to kill them. The crossbow, meanwhile, could get the job done in one headshot as long as I was careful and strategic. It did have limited ammo, though, so I usually ended up buying a lot of bolts from the vending machines.

I mostly used the grenade launcher on Big Daddies. Since it always seemed too dangerous to use on the normal guys, I almost always had enough ammo to blow 'em up. And for when I didn't, craftable armor-piercing machine gun rounds always did the trick.

Okay, I take it back, I think that game's combat was actually great, but only once I learned how to make it work for me. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found the game's combat to be OK. The enemy AI was weak, and while there were a lot of possibilities with the combat, it was just way to easy to exploit one or two of the gimmicks throughout the entire game. I also liked using the rocket (or grenade, whatever) launcher on big daddies, however I then found out that using the electric augmented Shotgun shells made the Shotgun the most broken weapon in the game against Big Daddies. You could shoot them repeatedly and they couldn't do a thing about it since the electricity from the shotgun shells stunned them long enough to hold them in place until you got the next shot in. As for the cross-bow, it was useful, but even when upgraded to its max capacity, it didn't hold all that much ammo. I don't recall the shotgun taking THAT many shots to kill even the tougher enemies, but to be honest I found that once you upgraded your melee abilities, that did a shit-ton of damage to them and if you iced the enemies you could often kill them in 2-hits (though, with the caveat of not being able to loot their corpses). Even then, though, I usually just stunned them with electricity and still managed to kill them in 2 hits (most of the time) with the wrench (which Is aid was one of the most frequent weapons that I used in the game, anyways).

Foggle

I actually replayed the game after I finished Infinite, and I was surprised to discover just how much damage the splicers could soak up in the latter half of the game. Either I missed something important this time around, or I was remembering my older playthroughs incorrectly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm telling you, even in the latter half of the game, the freezing or shocking and wrench combo did a shit-ton of damage and made quick work of any splicers that stood in your way (assuming you have your melee attack ability fully augmented).