Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Valentine

I hate online gaming and digital distribution.

Spark Of Spirit

Klonoa is Namco's best series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Devil May Cry 3 is Capcom's best game ever, or at least tied with a Resident Evil 4....and now I will go into hiding since the Mega Man fans will certainly have me blasted into proton particles for this. :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

You've obviously never played Lost Planet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wasn't that originally supposed to be a 3D Mega Man game or something? Boy, they really dodged a bullet on that one by making it a brand new IP. That way we never got a shitty 3D Mega Man ga----oh wait....

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 30, 2014, 12:29:26 AM
Wasn't that originally supposed to be a 3D Mega Man game or something? Boy, they really dodged a bullet on that one by making it a brand new IP. That way we never got a shitty 3D Mega Man ga----oh wait....
At least we got two other good 3D Mega Man games... as well as a ton of 2D classics.  :)

I would love to see Foggle try to make it through X7, however.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it's settled. Now he HAS to do that for his next live stream play. :>

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

I've heard so many bad things about that game. Good thing I can't stream it since it never came out on P--

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_X7Platform(s)    PlayStation 2, Windows

WHAT

OH GOD

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 30, 2014, 12:50:31 AM
I've heard so many bad things about that game. Good thing I can't stream it since it never came out on P--

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_X7Platform(s)    PlayStation 2, Windows

WHAT

OH GOD
:lol:

It really is one of the worst games I've ever played that was:

A) A finished game
B) Not actually buggy
C) Simply fails in everything it tries to execute

It's such a colossal misfire on a scale that almost makes X6 look competent. That we even got an X8 after that piece of crap is simply a miracle of an extraordinary magnitude.

I wonder if the DMC2 team had something to do with it.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like having save points in games. A lot of people these days will call it a dated mechanic, but to me it's the ideal way to mark your progress in a game. These days, you get checkpoints and everything auto-saves for you, but a lot of games have some small indicator in a bottom corner of the screen whenever those come up, so they are easy to miss. Furthermore, sometimes I don't want to save my progress at a certain point because I might want to redo a section that I did poorly on, but forced auto-saving robs you of this option. Also, with the other extreme of giving you the option to save anywhere, it kind of hampers the experience for me since I get insecure and end up pausing to save more often than I need to.

By having save points and save slots, it gives me more options to save when I want and the way that I want to without making the saves too overly exploitable. For instance, I love how in the first 2 Ninja Gaiden games, you can basically use any of the Dragon Statues in the game to save as many times as you want. It's not overly-exploitable since you do actually have to get to them to save, but it's nice in situations where you don't have enough time to clear an entire level and at least want to save the progress that you've made in regard to all of the enemies that you've taken out up to that point, or any keys or necessary items that you've collected to progress through the level. In the a DMC games where levels are typically rather short, I can kind of live with only being able to save in-between levels, but DMC4 kind of pushes it since most of it's levels are at least 20-minutes long. This is also a minor but notable gripe that I have with Bayonetta, especially since most of its levels are fairly lengthy, lasting me about half an hour on average.

I don't know how else to explain it. I just like the use of save points more than any other method if saving your progress. For such an old mechanic, I find it more useful and convenient than most modern games, which is why I miss games like RE4 or the old NG games which utilized that sort of save feature.

gunswordfist

My favorite is when games on the original Xbox let you use save points and save as many times as the space you have lets you. They seemed to capped that at 10 or so saves these days.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I like the lives mechanic and I like getting Game Over when I play badly. I like forcing myself to improve and learn the game's mechanics instead of plowing through it in order to shelve it faster. Obviously it doesn't work for all games, but I do like it for action and platformer games.

As an aside, I only use save states when a game has poor checkpointing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 11:15:52 PM
My favorite is when games on the original Xbox let you use save points and save as many times as the space you have lets you. They seemed to capped that at 10 or so saves these days.

That's another thing. I like having lots of save slots. When playing NG on the higher difficulties, sometimes I make alternate save files at crucial parts where I may need a lot of healing items or such. That way if I find a particular fight too tough with what I have, I'll go back to an earlier save and make sure I store up my items by not using them on more manageable fights in order to use them on the fights where I really need them.