Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 11:21:16 PM
I like the lives mechanic and I like getting Game Over when I play badly. I like forcing myself to improve and learn the game's mechanics instead of plowing through it in order to shelve it faster. Obviously it doesn't work for all games, but I do like it for action and platformer games.

As an aside, I only use save states when a game has poor checkpointing.
You mean lives in place of save points? This is perfectly fine in games you can beat in one sitting. I think we meant games that are too long for that to be possible.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 23, 2014, 11:22:35 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 11:15:52 PM
My favorite is when games on the original Xbox let you use save points and save as many times as the space you have lets you. They seemed to capped that at 10 or so saves these days.

That's another thing. I like having lots of save slots. When playing NG on the higher difficulties, sometimes I make alternate save files at crucial parts where I may need a lot of healing items or such. That way if I find a particular fight too tough with what I have, I'll go back to an earlier save and make sure I store up my items by not using them on more manageable fights in order to use them on the fights where I really need them.
That reminds me in Deus Ex, there was a part where you encounter someone and there was so many ways that I thought of to deal with the situation. I'm not sure how many actually changed anything but I used up a lot of save files to try and find out. I used most if not all of my remaining space trying to save each action I took. This was on PS2, unfortunately.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 11:21:16 PM
I like the lives mechanic and I like getting Game Over when I play badly. I like forcing myself to improve and learn the game's mechanics instead of plowing through it in order to shelve it faster. Obviously it doesn't work for all games, but I do like it for action and platformer games.

As an aside, I only use save states when a game has poor checkpointing.

On that note, I like the system that DMC1 and 3 (on Yellow Orb mode) use, where Yellow Orbs function as lives, and if you run out and die you have to repeat the level you're on. What makes it work is that the levels themselves are fairly short for the most part, and are generally perfect segments for you to practice and get good at particular skills. Rather than giving you frequent checkpoints, those games force you to get good at them through practice. Sure, you can farm for Red Orbs and hoard up on items, but then you wouldn't be having much fun in the process. Getting through these games the proper way just feels so much more rewarding.

With platformers, I like what Mario and DKC games do, in that you get a certain amount of lives, and you have a save point in-between every few levels, so if you run out of lives before the next save point, you only have to repeat the last few levels rather than having to re-start the whole entire game.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 23, 2014, 11:34:50 PM
With platformers, I like what Mario and DKC games do, in that you get a certain amount of lives, and you have a save point in-between every few levels, so if you run out of lives before the next save point, you only have to repeat the last few levels rather than having to re-start the whole entire game.
What? Really? If these are NES/SNES era games then this shows how little I've played Nintendo games. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bayonetta 2 being a Wii-U exclusive isn't either Nintendo's fault or Platinum's. Nintendo saw the opportunity to get a sequel to a critically acclaimed action game that really resonated with hardcore gamers. Did Sega jump at the opportunity to fund a sequel themselves? No. Did everyone's precious Microsoft or Sony attempt to fight this or even try and score that deal with Platinum before Nintendo did? No. It's because neither of them give a shit about anything that sells less than 5 million copies being exclusives.

I can't believe that people are still bitching about this as the game finally nears it's release in a couple more months. People should either buy a Wii-U if they want it so badly (save up for it if they can't afford it), or they should just shut up and move on. I just find it laughable that Nintendo got so much shit for the Wii for not catering to hardcore gamers, and now that they are doing what everyone wanted and securing exclusives that cater to the hardcore gaming demographic, people are getting even more angry at them for that.

I swear, at least half of the modern gaming community is made up of fucking morons.

Spark Of Spirit

Same thing with Devil's Third, really. It's either the game is a Wii U exclusive or it isn't coming out at all. It's not really that hard to understand.

Port begging can be pretty aggravating at times.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, as much as people like to rag on Nintendo, the fact remains that neither Microsoft nor Sony showed remotely any interest in supporting either of these games.

Foggle

I'm only gonna' port beg for Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound to come to PC. Please Microsoft! :>

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 16, 2014, 11:31:54 PM
I'm only gonna' port beg for Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound to come to PC. Please Microsoft! :>
I bet Kamiya's going to deal with Sony fans a lot over Scalebound for the next few months.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 16, 2014, 11:34:17 PM
I bet Kamiya's going to deal with Sony fans a lot over Scalebound for the next few months.
The best possible outcome would be if it's actually a multiplatform game and they just haven't revealed the PS4 version yet. Then we can laugh at all the Sony fanboys port begging for something that was already coming out in the first place while Kamiya gets pissed off at everyone yet again.

While I'm a Sony fan myself (insofar as that I love love love my PS2 and also rather liked the PS1, PS3, and PSP), their diehards are easily the worst of the modern console war whiners. The way they crucified Insomniac for daring to make Fuse and Sunset Overdrive was just sad. Their impotent rage somehow manages to dwarf both the Nintendo-can-do-no-wrong crowd and the PC master race secret police. I would bring up Microsoft as well, but I don't think they even have fanboys anymore. The way the 360 sputtered and died as the Xbone limped onto the scene was downright depressing.

gunswordfist

I'm just glad it's not a WU exclusive

Spark Of Spirit

You don't see too many MS diehards anymore, true. I would wager that most of them realized that the types of games on the XBone was not worth jumping onto yet. They can play slightly less pretty games with identical gameplay on their 360s. Microsoft needs to put something new out there to gain them back.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 17, 2014, 12:03:48 AM
I'm just glad it's not a WU exclusive
That's not possible because Nintendo didn't pay them to make the game. Microsoft did.

Odd that Nintendo fans seem to get that. Probably because they dealt with it over Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

Spark Of Spirit

Speaking of Devil's Third, I just checked my StreetPass and Itagaki was there.

Then he teamed up with me in the Haunted Mansion game and we beat the floor boss.

Surreal.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't like the driving or shooter segments in Bayonetta. The game's base gameplay is fantastic, but just like with DMC1, Kamiya has a tendency to throw in a couple of sections that adopt a completely different style of gameplay as an homage to something else. While I respect the effort, I'm just not the type of guy who likes to do something completely new when I've spend most of the game learning how to use its mechanics and getting decent with them. The fight with Mundus in DMC1 should have tested all of the skills that you acquired throughout the game, but instead it was a shooter segment followed by a phase where you had to stand on these rotating platforms to hit him. Neither phase was fun, IMO. In this game, the driving segment is a tribute to Outrun, and the shooting part is a tribute to Afterburner. The homage is nice, but gameplay wise it doesn't really capture the tight controls and actual fun factor of those games, and doesn't satisfy you by the standards of this game which excels at melee combat.

Of course, there are only 2 driving sections in the game, and one shooter segment, but each segment lasts far too long for my taste.

Putting that aside, most of the rest of the game is brilliant. In terms of flaws, this game probably has the least flaws of any of the action games that I have layer, and the only reason it's my 3rd favorite hack n' slash as opposed to my first is just personal bias on my part. I just prefer the gameplay elements of NGB and DMC3 a bit more, even if those games are more flawed than this one. That said, I've heard it said from some people that Bayonetta, DMC3, and NGB are the holy trinity of action games. I agree with those people, for sure.

Rynnec

I thought the controls in the driving segment were fine, and the gameplay for those segments were surprisingly solid (then again, I have a thing for motorcycles, so that may be biased). I agree that the shooting segments was boring and dragged on way too long. It really doesn't help that it's on the same stage where you fight Jeanne for the final time, so if you want to experience that fight again, you were forced to do that segment.