The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 10, 2012, 09:21:44 PM
Like Ninja Spirit? Well there's Alex Kidd In Shinobi World, the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, the non-Shadow Dancer Shinobi games, and games like those. They're pretty hard to come by now.
Thanks
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Coming soon to XBLA and PSN (and the Virtual Console, which already has the middle game), Wonderboy In Monster World collection!

If you don't know what they are, well they're action platformers. The series is very diverse since it originally started as Wonder Boy (the original version of Adventure Island) and has spread to be arcade style action RPGs, metroidvanias, and just plain awesome platformers. This is honestly the most underrated series from the 16-bit generation and if you don't have these on the VC, this is your best chance to own them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

:) I've heard good things about this series.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Jet Set Radio HD's tracklist:

Original songs by Hideki Naganuma

Grace and Glory
Humming the Bassline
Let Mom Sleep
Moody's Shuffle
Rock It On
Sneakman
Sweet Soul Brother
That's Enough

Licensed tracks

Toronto - Electric Tooth Brush
Magical Girl - Guitar Vader
Super Brothers - Guitar Vader
Bout the City - Reps
Funky Radio - B.B. Rights
Mischievous Boy - Castle Logical
Yellow Bream - F-Fields
Everybody Jump Around - Richard Jacques

The loss of Deavid Soul (UPSET ATTACK!) really hurts, but the loss of Dragula makes up for it. I still think they should add in some Sonic Rush and Naganuma tunes from other games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Here's something cute, a top 10 list of sequels from 1996 that EGM would like to see:

Avaitor

Oh, the memories.

And the irony.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Saw that on GAF, it is pretty interesting.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I notice a severe lack of FPS games, too.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 07:37:44 PM
The genre was just getting started back in '96. Plus, EGM never paid attention to PC games at all and there weren't exactly a whole lot of FPS on consoles at the time.

Avaitor

Yeah, back then, all you really had that wasn't shit to control or a lame port of a PC game was GoldenEye, and EGM didn't start focusing on PC games until about a year before they stopped production. It's not too surprising at all, really.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 23, 2012, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 07:37:44 PM
The genre was just getting started back in '96. Plus, EGM never paid attention to PC games at all and there weren't exactly a whole lot of FPS on consoles at the time.
Ah, true. I forgot how early the genre was back then. Sure enough, I would imagine a DOOM II, Wolfenstein 3D II, and Duke Nukem 3D II down the road on a similar list.

But it's nice to see some variety.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 08:04:02 PM
Duke Nukem 3D II
IF ONLY.

Gearbox better release a truly old-school Duke game to make up for convincing me to purchase that $50 block of buyer's remorse. I liked the game at the time, but I think I was just trying to justify my purchase. You can't blame me, can you?

The single-player DLC pack for it was actually rather good, though. As was the Duke Burger level.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought it was alright, but yeah, Duke Burger was the best part of the game. I'd imagine if they made a new one they would look into what worked and didn't work and make a game accordingly.

Worms 2 was great. I'm really glad that was made.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 08:16:35 PM
I thought it was alright, but yeah, Duke Burger was the best part of the game. I'd imagine if they made a new one they would look into what worked and didn't work and make a game accordingly.
The DLC was far, far better than the main game. Easily the best possible thing that could have been developed on that godawful engine. I have faith that the next Duke Nukem game will actually be good.

QuoteWorms 2 was great. I'm really glad that was made.
Hell yes it was. So was Tekken 3, which is by far the best in the series.

Spark Of Spirit

Weird DLC retro compilation from Sega

It includes:

Alex Kidd In Miracle World (Master System)
Revenge Of Shinobi (Genesis)
Super Hang-On (Possibly Arcade?)

Add this to the Monster World collection and Sega is now in the lead with retro releases. The first two are already on the Virtual Console, but this is still a good release.