The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 02, 2015, 01:10:46 PM
Zelda II and Castlevania II were two games that would have been better had they been made after the team understood their respective series' better.

The thing is, back then, there really weren't any series' to speak of. If they were made after the team understood them better, they have been more in line with their predecessors.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, future Castlevania games in the open-world style were all FAR better than Castlevania II, so they definitely learned from it. Zelda II, however, we'll probably never know. Unless Nintendo decides to give another sidescrolling Zelda a shot, we'll never know if the series has something like a Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood in it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I'd be interested in seeing Nintendo let someone else take a crack at a 2D Zelda game for a handheld. We could see a truly great one.

Speedy

Here are some retro consoles I don't own yet:

-3DO:  Many of its games were released for multiple consoles (Need For Speed, SSF2 Turbo, Gex, Brain Dead 13, Doom, the list goes on).  So I don't feel like I'm missing much here.  For novelty's sake, Way of the Warrior, Jurassic Park Interactive, Twisted, and Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure would be fun, but I don't think they're worth buying an entire console for.

-CDi:  Not buying for obvious reasons (not many games, bad controller, way too expensive).

-Game Gear:  All the games I care about were re-released for Virtual Console or on the various Sonic compilations.

-Jaguar:  Aside from a couple games I wouldn't mind having, I don't feel like I'm missing much by skipping this.  Amusingly, I almost bought a Jaguar back when they were firesale-ing them for $50.  In retrospect, glad I didn't.

-Jaguar CD:  See Jaguar, plus hardware problems.

-Lynx:  Eh... I don't recall this being anything special.

-Neo Geo:  Great system but honestly, the majority of them have been re-released on the modern consoles.  There are very few games that I want that were never re-released in some format.  Plus the games themselves cost a pretty penny.

-Sega CD:  Now this I do actually want-  there are some games released for it that I wouldn't mind having.  The problem is, I happen to own the model 1 Genesis, which means I'd have to get the model 1 Sega CD.  And that particular model is harder to come by than the model 2 one, which sits side-by-side with the Genesis 2.

-Turbo Grafx 16:  Never been as big on this console as some.  The few games I care about I've already bought for Virtual Console.

Spark Of Spirit

So Club Nintendo is ending. Apparently they'll be adding a bunch of things in February to finish it off, but until they put those up this is the final batch of games:

I already have all of those, so I will continue to wait until February for the final additions. Sad to see the program ending (even though it became awful) though I hope the new program adds something from the also recently completed Digital Deluxe Promotion for the Wii U. I much preferred that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Speedy

Speaking of Nintendo, S.C.A.T. is being re-released on Wii U this week.  It's actually a good game despite its unfortunate acronym.

Commode

So I finally picked up one of those Retron 5 consoles today, it was never really a priority for me since I own all of the consoles it emulates, but it's still neat to have. The only issues I've been having is with Famicom/Super Famicom games, it can be really picky when it comes to playing them. Also something cool is I can play my PAL NES games like Aladdin now, they ran on both of my NES's(after disabling the 10NES chip), but I could never get through the first level without the game glitching out.

Also interesting to be able to play Genesis games with Super Nintendo controllers, and vice versa.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Speedy

Do any of those clone consoles have HDMI output?  Or are they all composite as usual?

Commode

Yes, that was the main draw of the Retron 5, it only outputs HDMI.

http://hyperkin.com/retro/retron-5/retron-5-gaming-console-black-hyperkin.html

Commode

After talking about(and dreaming of owning) some rare games like Little Samson and Gimmick!, what are some of the more rare or valuable games you own?

For me, I own

NES:
Ducktales 2
Chip N Dale 2
Felix the Cat Complete in Box
The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper
Contra Force
TMNT Tournament Fighters

SNES
Wild Guns
Demon's Crest
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

And it's not retro, but I am lucky enough to own a sealed physical copy of Retro City Rampage for PS4

gunswordfist

i remember how hard tournament fighters is. it took us forever to beat just one turtle.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I own SNES Mega Man X3, but not a whole lot of rare games.

Commode

I own Rockman X3 for Super Famicom, which is a much cheaper alternative.  Actually own all the Rockman SFC games, including Rockman and Forte(eventually released for GBA as Mega Man and Bass) and Rockman Soccer.

talonmalon333

The rarest game I own is probably Dragon Seeds. I imagine none of you guys have ever even heard of that game... and if you have, it was probably from me. :P

A close second is EarthBound.

gunswordfist

my brother put rockman and forte on my laptop. the first level has adhd. it's a fire..and water level. wth
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody