The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still hoping someone puts back up R-Type III on the SNES VC. It's the other excellent SNES VC shmup on a system that doesn't have too many of them.

The VC is great for retro gamers. Straight ports/emulations of old games made readily available is nice. Especially when you throw in Sega and Hudson systems on top of it. I do wish they would put up arcade games from the late 80s and 90s, though. Those games never get the re-releases they deserve.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I honestly don't use the VC much anymore, at least for Nintendo and Sega stuff, instead I try to seek out the actual cartridges.  I have an actual Wild Guns cart versus the VC version for example.  I understand it's use for people that aren't necessarily game collectors though, or it's use for systems such as the Turbografx, which can be difficult to collect for.  I just personally prefer to play the actual cart on the actual hardware if I can, ultimately the VC is just another (albeit official) emulator.

However I did buy the DKC games on the Wii U when they put them up, despite owning all three SNES versions complete in box.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Its nice having the cartridges. I feel like there will always be slight imperfections playing old games on new consoles not made for them. Thats why I am glad to have brought back my old consoles. I wouldn't necessarily call VC a non-collector thing, though. More just if you don't own the old consoles for one reason or another.

Admittedly though, I do wish Nintendo would retain backward compatibility for all their disk-based consoles (going back as far as GCN). It'd also be nice to retain GB Player capability.

EDIT:

I think VC is best for games that weren't released in America back in the day, or games that are just too expensive in cartridge form.

Avaitor

I'm mainly using the VC for games that are harder to find copies of for a reasonable price, and/or for consoles I don't see myself buying in the near future.

Like, I'd never buy Yoshi's Island for it, but I'm definitely considering Super Mario RPG.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

If it wasn't for the VC I never would have been able to pay Sega for the excellent Monster World IV or Super Fantasy Zone.

Plus it's a lot easier than having multiple systems connected to one TV.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Avaitor

Aww, the mainline Pokemon games aren't on the 3DS VC.

Oh well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

No, without trading implemented (and with the remakes always coming out) they probably never will be.

Commode

Recently got a couple of Konami gems.

Been chasing a Turtles in Time box for a few years now(still have my loose childhood cart though), finally bit the bullet and got this one.  Both of these have effectively killed my video game budget for this month, but it was worth it.

Also got Sonic Wings, which is the Super Famicom version of Aero Fighters, AKA one of the rarest/most valuable North American SNES games.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Amazing! I love Turtles In Time's box art.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Duuuude!

In case you didn't want to read it, the 3DS is getting 3 classic Sega Genesis games done in the 3D Classics style:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
Gunstar Heroes

Excellent choices. Will be getting all three. Now hopefully Streets of Rage 3, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Comic Zone, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, and Ristar follow!

gunswordfist

It would be interesting to see how they would look in 3D.

Spark Of Spirit

If Shinobi III is anything to go by, they'll look incredible in 3D.

Spark Of Spirit

I like that Kickstarter can make games like this happen.

This looks like my kind of game, but I'd much prefer playing it on the eShop, so I hope it hits that stretch goal. Still, it's good to see people going out of their way to make new games for old systems like this.

gunswordfist

Favorite graphics per console:
3. Dreamcast
1. GBA/Sega Genesis

I just love how a lot of the games on these 3 look.