The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Some of these I actually do already have (Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Comix Zone), but other than GH, I haven't played most of them in years. Time to fix that.

Looks like I still have a lot of catching up to do otherwise, though. I really do need to pay more attention to this system. When I go into town later this week, I'll check to see if the retro game store I go to sometimes has any of these (usually they have a pretty good Genesis selection, and a lot of them come with cases as well, so that's a plus).

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the Genesis is really a brilliant system. Sega tried so hard with it, and really fought Nintendo tooth and nail to the point where they really brought out the best in each other. I'm usually stunned these days by how many people scream about the SNES being the best system ever and the peak of gaming and how lame it's gotten... yet they've never played a Genesis. Just weird.

Oh yeah, also get Rolling Thunder 2 and 3.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I also recommend Crusader Of Centy (beautiful Zelda ripoff), Vectorman 1 and 2, whatever Splatterhouse is on the console and Beyond Oasis ('nother Zelda ripoff)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Stupid question, but is $10 for F-Zero worth it?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

SNES F-Zero? I'd say you're better off getting it 2 dollars cheaper on the Virtual Console.

Avaitor

Yep, that one. And I dunno, in some cases I might just stick with the VC, but you can't top playing a SNES game with the original controller as god intended.

I'm just surprised that I found it for that cheap at Gorilla Games, considering how they jack up a lot of their prices.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 12, 2012, 12:48:14 PM
Avaitor, get the hell out of my site.

Eddy

I think that's paying too much for F-Zero. I just got it at Play N Trade for $2.99.

Avaitor

No local Play N Trade here, sadly

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on April 12, 2012, 12:48:14 PM

Does it come with a box?

You can buy sealed boxed copies on Amazon for roughly the same price ($8-$10). I mean, you might as well go that route, if you plan on paying that much.

...otherwise, I'd just stick with a $6 used copy. If you're not a fan of Amazon, though... I dunno. You should be able to find it in any indie game store for around that price, but if not, then online shopping is probably your best bet.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I decided to try and play some of the original Mega Man, the other day, as I honestly have never really sat down to play more than 5 minutes of it at any point in my life time, and even that was years ago when a friend of mine brought over the PS2 MM collection that featured most of the old games. I know that the first game probably doesn't hold a candle to MM2 or 3, but for what it was, I liked what I played of it. I played through Cut Man's stage, and it was sufficiently challenging without really feeling cheap, and the music was at least decent (nothing on the level of a great MM2, 3, or 9 track, though). I think I'll play through the rest of the stages at some point in time when I get another chance to go through the game.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 12, 2012, 11:06:13 PM
So, I decided to try and play some of the original Mega Man, the other day, as I honestly have never really sat down to play more than 5 minutes of it at any point in my life time, and even that was years ago when a friend of mine brought over the PS2 MM collection that featured most of the old games. I know that the first game probably doesn't hold a candle to MM2 or 3, but for what it was, I liked what I played of it. I played through Cut Man's stage, and it was sufficiently challenging without really feeling cheap, and the music was at least decent (nothing on the level of a great MM2, 3, or 9 track, though). I think I'll play through the rest of the stages at some point in time when I get another chance to go through the game.
Mega Man 1 is a good game. It's a bit rough and unpolished in places (Fire Man is a pretty cheap boss), but it was completely new and original at the time and is the only game in the series to have a point system, no passwords, no hitstun, and the legendary pause trick.

I actually like the game a lot and think it's almost on par with 2 and 3 (and 9). It's just the tiny things that 2 polished up that hold it back.

EDIT: Darkwing Duck is also a pretty good Mega Man-style game. Give that a go if you feel like it sometime.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The original Mega Man is amazing. Far better than 4-8 IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the game certainly has its flaws but its still easy to see why it became a hit in its day. Its an incredibly simple yet incredible fun game, and it has a good amount of challenge to it (even if its not always fair) that keeps it interesting to play. Its an important part of gaming history but its also still a great game in its own right, IMO. In fact, its saying a lot that the only thing really holding it back isn't so much what it does wrong, but rather how much its sequels get right. The first game already set up an incredibly fun and addicting gameplay formula, and the 2nd and 3rd games in the series pretty much perfected that, making the rough edges of the first game stand out a little bit more, but even with those rough edges clearly showing on the surface of this game, what worked about it back when it came out still works today, and it works REALLY well in that regard. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 12, 2012, 11:06:13 PM
Except for a few things, Mega Man 1 isn't outdated. It's just that a few of its sequels are so much better. It's still a great game itself.