The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 25, 2015, 03:29:04 PM
Platformers will fall damage always irk me. I think only Donkey Kong '94 did it right since you had to learn to tuck and roll, plus landing on springs or water would save you from death.
That's my biggest complaint with Rareware's N64 platformers. Falling off and dying in Click Clock Wood when you have 96 notes (yes, this has happened to me) is the worst thing ever. Thankfully, the 360 version fixes this problem by saving your notes between deaths/loads.

I will say that I did enjoy the Bugs Bunny game as a kid, though. I didn't love it or anything, but I was so thrilled that my family got me a Game Boy that I played it a lot. It made me really happy. :)

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 25, 2015, 03:31:59 PM
I was afraid of that shark in Banjo-Kazooie since I remembered it one-shotting me a couple of times. :<
Same here! :shit:

talonmalon333

I believe I was in the 4 age range. I forget exactly who bought it for us, but my brother and I got a Sega Genesis and Sonic. When I was that young, all of the Sonic games on the Genesis were the ones we spent the most time with, though we also had others. I didn't play much back then, it was mostly my brother while I just observed. I mostly played as second player in games. We also started playing SNES a little later on, among which were Super Mario World and All-Stars. A Link to the Past was also among those games, which was a massive part of my young years and was my first step into that series. We got a PlayStation when I was 6-7, by which point I was actually a video game fan.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 25, 2015, 03:31:59 PM
I was afraid of that shark in Banjo-Kazooie since I remembered it one-shotting me a couple of times. :<
I think any swimming segment in 3D games creeped me out for a long time because of the cumbersome controls and because there was a lot of disturbing stuff in the water. Mario 64's swimming levels say it all.

The last time a 3D platformer creeped me out was that shark-thing in the original Jak & Daxter. Don't know what it is with water and 3D games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 25, 2015, 03:33:36 PM
It's funny that you mention OoT, because both the Forest and Shadow temples creeped the fuck out as a kid. The well that you use to go underground as kid link was the worst for me. I used to beg my older brother to walk me through those sections, because I couldn't sit there playing them alone.

Oh, and I never used to know what a Wallmaster was. I literally jumped in fright the first time that one snatched me up in the Forest Temple and Link screamed in the game.
OoT and MM were fucking frightening as a kid, seriously. I'd like to see an E-rated game get away with some of that stuff nowadays. :lol:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 25, 2015, 03:36:10 PM
The last time a 3D platformer creeped me out was that shark-thing in the original Jak & Daxter. Don't know what it is with water and 3D games.
Apparently that thing is called a sharkagator, and it was the only "enemy" used by both Naughty Dog and Insomniac in their PS2 platformers. :lol:

Speaking of J&D, the giant spider chase in Jak 2 was pretty spooky. Yeesh.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 25, 2015, 03:36:10 PM
Apparently that thing is called a sharkagator, and it was the only "enemy" used by both Naughty Dog and Insomniac in their PS2 platformers. :lol:
I knew there was a reason the water in Ratchet & Clank creeped me out!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another memory of something that scared me as a kid was that tiger from the first level of Tomb Raider 2, which I always dreaded running into because I utterly sucked at shooting stuff. I also sucked at the game in general, and never managed to get very far in it, but it was always a relief to make it past that goddamn tiger.

talonmalon333

Resident Evil scared me when I used to play it at my cousin's house. I mean, I was probably 8 years old by then, but we always came back to it. :P

Avaitor

I was like 3, I think, when I got my SNES. I had Super Mario All-Stars (which as you probably know, I still have), the first World (which I can't find, but have soon replaced), and the Dennis the Menace game. Even then, I knew that the Mario games were where it was at.

As for being scared, I can't really think of anything. Majora's Mask was creepy, but even that didn't really frighten me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

A friend snagged me a Mega Man amiibo.

Wow. Wasn't expecting that!

Daxdiv

Good, cause Mega Man amiibo is hard to come by right now.

talonmalon333

I feel like the first Toejam & Earl hasn't aged well.

gunswordfist

my first console was nes. i think super mario bros. was my first game. i still have never beaten it.

I remember a boss getting eaten by a monster in contra hard corps scaring me as a kid.

except in smb 1 and a transformation in majora's mask, i have never liked swimming in games.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

Wayne's World NES is going for over 100 bucks for just the cart on eBay, I had no idea it was worth that much, I got it in box for like $20 a year or two ago.  I don't get it, the game is trash, it's on the same level as Jaws or Top Gun or Back to the Future for NES, which all go for like 5 bucks.  What makes Wayne's World so special?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Speedy on February 16, 2015, 09:13:29 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 15, 2015, 09:31:32 PM
I have a question about the Retron 5. Is that thing... legal? I'm just wondering out of curiosity.
Yes, since it's reverse engineering.  If it actually took the components from an actual NES or SNES, that would be illegal.  But they're re-programming it from scratch, hence why certain games have emulation issues.

Responding to this weeks later because lately I've been hearing that the Retron 5 apparently stole its emulator directly from another source. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/hyperkins_retron_5_console_allegedly_infringes_on_the_rights_of_multiple_emulator_authors