Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, I forgot to mention it was a great piece. On Leather Wings really is impressive when you realize that it was literally the first episode made and they pretty much nailed the entire BTAS atmosphere with it right out of the gate.

It's not the best episode, but I really like it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Good job man! A great piece. I'm looking forward to whatever you do next. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Good job man! I haven't watched any of it yet, but I should probably get around to that. I really do hope the writers heed your warning and avoid letting it become the next FOP...

Avaitor

Great piece!

I've still only seen the first 3 episodes of Gravity Falls, but I kind of feel the same way as you do. There's a lot of potential and good in what I've seen, but there are just as many detractors for things to head south in there.

I'd like to think that it remains as fun as it is now throughout the run of the show, but then again, I thought the same thing about Chowder during its first season.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Our first Gravity Falls piece! Yaaaaaaaaaay!  ;D

Good job. Although... as I'm sure you can already tell, I love this show to death so far, so the criticisms you pointed out don't really effect my opinion too much (especially in regards to the Lil' Gideon episode; the plot is hackneyed and cliche, yes, but the characters, writing, and overall tone of the episode is just all so darn enjoyable, it's easy for me to look past that). I also can't help but disagree when it comes to Stan; he's had some great lines and great moments up to this point ("I WILL PARDON NOTHING!"), so it's hard for me to write him off as the worst of the group. So far, the character I'm least impressed with is Soos, who, admittedly, doesn't even play a very large role anyway, but I digress.

Still though, good read, and I agree about everything else you said, especially in regards to P&F, Chowder, and post movie Spongebob. Hopefully this crew doesn't get as caught up in their own success as the above aforementioned have, and end up putting the series on autopilot after a strong start. It'd really be a shame to see it go down the same road as Chowder; there's just so much potential here.

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks for the comments!

As for the Lil Gideon episode, that's the biggest obstacle for me because as Kiddington said, it's actually very funny. The issue is that it sort of sheds everything that makes Gravity Falls unique to do so, the episode actually gets really good once his psychic abilities are actually used and feels more like the rest of the show. But I think less focusing on the dating side would have made it stand out more.

As for Uncle Stan, yes he has moments that are funny, but I really think the series would benefit a lot by keeping him minor compared to every character. Especially since he never really does anything with the paranormal aspect of the show. You know, the Dexter's parents syndrome? I would rather he either join in on it, or just isn't used as much because his usage in the Man-otaur episode was the worst part of it (and that's my least favorite episode so far) and I really don't want to see more stuff like that.

Eddy

Just wanted to chime in and also say that was a good article and brought up good points. I'm hoping it doesn't head down that FOP path because I've really been enjoying Gravity Falls.

Rynnec

Foggle

Nice! I wish Daemon would tell me when he makes blog posts though. :lol:

I find SAO to be pretty decent, and I definitely like it more than .hack. (I can't stand .hack.) But worthy of the enormous praise it's receiving online? God no.

Dr. Insomniac

He tells me, and I'm just too lazy to spread the news.

Rynnec

It could be that I'm not hanging in the right places, but I've hardly seen any praise for Sword Art Online. At least compared to say, Madoka Magica.

Dr. Insomniac

I just keep hearing how Kirito's a Gary Stu, and that the game mechanics don't make sense.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on September 03, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
It could be that I'm not hanging in the right places, but I've hardly seen any praise for Sword Art Online. At least compared to say, Madoka Magica.
MAL... http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online

Avaitor

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread to remind you all that we're always looking for guest contributors to add entries into the blog. We havent had a new post in a while, so hopefully one of you would be willing to fill that void. :)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/