Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

After Inside Out, you'd think they would recognize that we don't need anymore sequels.

Avaitor

Well, these have all been in production for a while, and they're each bound to make a buttload of money. I do think (or really, hope) that Pixar will slow down on the sequels after this slate, especially if The Good Dinosaur is another megahit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 16, 2015, 04:12:59 PM
After Inside Out, you'd think they would recognize that we don't need anymore sequels.
To be fair, we knew this when they were first announced back around WALL*E and Up. It's not exactly clear why they got stuck in sequel glut while Lasseter got Disney out of it not long before.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Only Cars 2 sucked. Toy Story 2 and 3 were good. If anyone can make sequels work, it's Pixar. I don't get this bawlfest over them doing sequels to some of their movies. As long as they're different stories and are good, that's all that should matter.

Spark Of Spirit

And I thought Monsters University was way better than Brave.

My problem is that I don't want a Toy Story 4, Finding Dory, or Cars 3, when we could be having a new original by John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton instead. Just imagining if they got Pete Docter to make Monsters University instead of Inside Out was enough to make me wonder what else we could be missing out on from them that might be as good as that film is.

Of course these movies could be good or even great, but Pixar's strength has always been their originals. Only the Toy Story sequels have stacked up to the original of their sequels, and that series came to a logical endpoint with Toy Story 3. Other than The Incredibles 2, which Brad Bird initiated on his own from an idea he had, I'm just not excited for these sequels.

It would be like if Disney listed their next releases as: Wreck-It-Ralph 2, Frozen 2, Gigantic, Big Hero Six 2, Tangled 2. They might be good films, but there wouldn't be much to look forward to or anticipate.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Finding Dory is really more of a spin-off movie. Having sequels didn't keep us from getting Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur, and they won't block originals in the future either. Pixar knows they'll need to make new IPs, as does Disney. There's plenty to look forward to in a sequel as long it has a new idea to run off of. There's no room for cynicism in my eyes.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 17, 2015, 09:38:26 PM
Only Cars 2 sucked.

Well true, but that's also the only Pixar movie that's actually bad (alongside the first movie). And really, did anyone ask for any of the other sequels?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 20, 2015, 03:30:04 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 17, 2015, 09:38:26 PM
Only Cars 2 sucked.

Well true, but that's also the only Pixar movie that's actually bad (alongside the first movie). And really, did anyone ask for any of the other sequels?
Merchandise is the reason Cars has a trilogy. They don't do that great in theater, but they do great everywhere else.

They still remain the only Pixar movies I never saw in theater. Though it's been such a long time that I'm not sure if I saw A Bug's Life in theater or not, those are the only two I willingly skipped. Will most likely be skipping 3 as well.

On the other hand I'll probably end up skipping Toy Story 4 and Finding Dory unless word of mouth is outstanding.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Jack-Jack will be a villain? ...Okay. Well, I trust in Brad Bird, so I'm optimistic this will executed well.

Kiddington

I don't know why everyone hates the original Cars so much; I thought it was a cute, emotionally touching movie with some good bits of humor sprinkled in. Like, is it too slow for people? I'll admit that the plot does drag a bit, but I just.....I don't get the hate. I saw it again not too long ago, and it's not that bad.

And for the record, I liked it better than Brave.

talonmalon333

I just don't think it really brings anything to the table, its theme has been done many times before (and better), characters are boring, and story is predictable and slow

Avaitor

Never mind about that link. Apparently this doesn't come from a credible site.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on August 23, 2015, 12:25:20 AM
Never mind about that link. Apparently this doesn't come from a credible site.

With how long it took before Brad Bird could be confidant enough in a script, having Jack-Jack as the villain sounds a bit too random.

Spark Of Spirit

Brad Bird only started writing it recently. There's no way he would have the plot solidified that fast.

Nevertheless, I think he could make something like that work.