Game Recommendations

Started by gunswordfist, November 28, 2011, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Graywulf on February 09, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
Already played DS version, but I might consider it.
They're completely different games. ;) The Wii one's better!

QuoteUnderstatement of the month.
Best pick up Skyrim, then. The storytelling isn't nearly as good as New Vegas' (Obsidian sure knows how to write a game), but it's the same idea in a fantasy setting. You'll love it. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For hack n' slash games, I would recommend that you start with Bayonetta. As much as I love Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry, both of those series are HARD on newcomers (not counting NG3, which you should flat-out ignore). Bayonetta is made to be easily accessible on its default difficulty setting. Well, so is DMC4, but that game isn't nearly as good as Bayonetta when it comes to any gameplay elements outside of its combat. Bayonetta also has the most manageable camera out of all of these games (though, for what its worth, I really don't find the camera in NGB/2 and DMC 3 and 4 to be that bad once you get used to them).

I'd say that Bayonetta is probably the perfect starting point for you (or maybe Metal Gear Rising when that comes out shortly). If you play that game and like it, then I'd definitely recommend checking out DMC 1, 3, and 4, as well as the first 2 Ninja Gaiden games.

Grave

I haven't played it yet, but be careful with jumping into Metal Gear Rising. Try the demo first since a lot of the negative comments I've been getting is revolved around the counter system. A lot of people didn't like it or couldn't get used to it, and it seems to be making or breaking a lot folks decisions on the game. I'm getting it because I don't care about other folks opinions  :). And it's a MG game of course.

The Shadow Gentleman

The only thing I can say against Bayonetta is the look of the main character, but if its as good as you make it out to be, I can overlook that.

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2013, 06:10:26 PM
Quote from: Graywulf on February 09, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
Already played DS version, but I might consider it.
They're completely different games. ;) The Wii one's better!
I had a feeling that was the case.

Best pick up Skyrim, then. The storytelling isn't nearly as good as New Vegas' (Obsidian sure knows how to write a game), but it's the same idea in a fantasy setting. You'll love it. :)
Yeah, New Vegas kicks ass. I heard enough about Skyrim from friends to put it at the top of my list.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Graywulf on February 09, 2013, 06:27:04 PM
The only thing I can say against Bayonetta is the look of the main character, but if its as good as you make it out to be, I can overlook that.

I'm not a fan of the art design in that game in general, if I were to be honest. But it undeniably has the most accessible approach of any of the hack n' slash games that I have played, which is why I'd consider it a good starting point for you. The gameplay feels smooth and easy to get into, and the combat is good the point of making you forget about whether you care for the art-style or not whenever you are actually playing the game. That said, my favorite hack n' slash game is still Ninja Gaiden Black, and I consider Ninja Gaiden II to have the best combat system of any hack n' slash game that I have played, but I can't deny that Bayonetta's gameplay definitely has a wider appeal to it....except for the boss fights, which I personally find to be too long and drawn out, myself (except for Jeanne).

Foggle

Meanwhile, I love the boss fights in Bayo! It can go either way, really.

But yeah, look past the art style and it's one of this gen's best games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2013, 06:46:02 PM
Meanwhile, I love the boss fights in Bayo! It can go either way, really.

But yeah, look past the art style and it's one of this gen's best games.

Well, they are certainly better designed than NG2 and DMC4's boss fights. My problem with them is that they feel a bit too pattern-based (once again, except for Jeanne), and it feels like it takes forever to take some of the later ones down (at least it took me forever to kill them). In that regard, I prefer DMC1 and NGB's style of boss fights. In both of those games, the bosses are  very well-designed and challenging, but they also go down really quick if you know how to fight them properly and what tricks work on them, which is something that I really like. Perhaps the same applies to Bayo's bosses if you practice on them enough, but as it stands, the ones that I've tried (and at this point I've played through most of the game, even though it was at irregular intervals of time) just weren't all that much fun for me. That said, I love the regular enemies in the game, and the combat system is superb, so I'd still recommend Bayo as the go-to hack n' slash game for people who want to get into the genre.

As for Graywulf, if you like Bayonetta, then I'd recommend trying DMC4 as your next hack n' slash game as its probably the next most accessible. Then again, you could really try Ninja Gaiden Black at any time you want as its style of gameplay is completely different from Bayonetta and DMC, but just be warned that it'll initially kick your ass until you learn the core mechanics, but after that there's really nothing that can compare to its extremely fluid mix of acrobatics and action, IMO.

The Shadow Gentleman

I need the following: action-adventure and/or action rpgs, and DS/3DS games (besides OoT, Super Mario Land, and NSMB2).

I've already looked at the games listed on this thread, so I'm good on Wii games for now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, being that I've been enjoying SNK's fighting games over the past few months, I've recently become interested in trying out their other popular series of games.

So this question is more for Foggle and Desensitized: Which is the best Metal Slug game to start with, as someone who's never played one before? I've been in the mood for a good shoot-em-up lately, so I think that I'll try one of these games next.

Foggle

The original Metal Slug is the most basic, has excellent pacing, and is the easiest to master, so I'd personally recommend that one. Honestly, I'd just go in chronological order, skipping the bad games/versions. So,

Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 6
Metal Slug XX

Those are the only essentials IMO, and they're all amazing. You should also check out GunForce 2 if you can figure out how to get MAME working. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thanks for the recommendations! :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure that I've seen Metal Slug X and 3 both available on XBLA, but I'll have to check if the original is available there, as well. If not, though, I'm pretty sure that I can find the original game somewhere. I do know that the complete anthology is available for the PS2, and since I can easily borrow my brother's PS2, I could buy a copy of the collection if I can find it available online for cheap.

Foggle

Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 is relatively cheap and includes MS 1-6 & X, and XBLA has XX. :) Personally, I consider the PS2 Anthology to be the best way to play the first six games, as it runs almost perfectly, has customizable controls, and contains blood effects. Meanwhile, the Wii version has godawful forced waggle controls and no blood, while the PSP version has extremely long load times.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Very well, I'll look into the PS2 collection first, and if I can find it for cheap then that's what I'll be picking up. ;)

gunswordfist

Whoa, I thought the PS2 collection only had like 2 games.

Are there any non-Gears third person shooters with good multiplayer?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The VC versions of the Metal Slug games are arcade perfect, by the way. I know Ensatsu-ken doesn't have a Wii but I thought I'd point that out.

Anyway, MS1 is the best to start with since it eases you in. MSX (the best version of MS2) is good for a challenge and MS3 expands upon the formula to its limit. All three are great but the first is the best to start with.

Quote from: Graywulf on February 11, 2013, 07:36:20 AM
I need the following: action-adventure and/or action rpgs, and DS/3DS games (besides OoT, Super Mario Land, and NSMB2).
Sorry, I missed this.

Play Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Radiant Historia, Solatorobo, Fire Emblem Awakening, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, and there's some SMT games coming soon if that's your bag as well as a new Mario & Luigi. I also recommend some adventure games like Hotel Dusk, 999, and the Phoenix Wright trilogy if you just want something light.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton