Opinions On Various Popular Games/Franchises

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 14, 2012, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Multiplayer, mostly. I don't really play third person action games that much, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

You're really a bigger fan of the 2D Metal Gear games than the 3D ones, Spark?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 21, 2014, 06:08:13 PMYou're really a bigger fan of the 2D Metal Gear games than the 3D ones, Spark?

Take out Metal Gear games from that sentence and replace it with "games in general" and replace the question mark with a period as well, and then you have Desensitized's opinion on all of gaming. :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 21, 2014, 06:08:13 PM
You're really a bigger fan of the 2D Metal Gear games than the 3D ones, Spark?
I tend to prefer 2D as a whole, but that doesn't mean 3D isn't preferred by me sometimes. I like Maximo more than the GnG games and Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games.

As for Metal Gear, yes, I prefer 2D. Though it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy MGS or MGA, which I did. I find the stealth aspect more fun in the overhead perspective.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, while we're at it:

Dynasty Warriors/Warriors of Orochi/All Musou type games in general- Seriously, how do these games keep making so much money? Do people really just like the monotony?

gunswordfist

I don't get it either. I got bored on my first try.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Musou games are good for stress relief, and just winding down after a long hard day, and considering how busy Japanese people are with work or school, the simplicity factors in a lot. Musou games also tend to have a lot of playable character, and each one plays surprisingly different from the other, this combined with the multiplayer factor is probably what makes Musou-style games so popular. Japan seems to love routine-like games in general, just look at how popular Monster Hunter is.

As for my opinions on these franchises:

Musou - I haven't played much of the actual Dynasty Warriors, but I have clocked in a fair amount of time on Sengoku Basara (Capcom's take on the style). I honestly only got it because I loved the anime, but I'm glad I played it regardless as it's a pretty fun game for what it is. It helps that Basara was developed by some of the DMC-staff, plus it has a really awesome cast. I don't think I can get into the actual DW's mostly because none of the characters I've seen really appeal to me, the spinoffs like Hyrule Warriors and the Gundam games are fine though, and I'll probably get Hyrule Warriors when it comes out.

Monster Hunter - Most of the appeal comes from the multiplayer aspect. I can't see myself playing solo for long periods of time. I hear the God Eater games are more single-player friendly though, so I'll try to check those out when my budget allows it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can understand the stress relief thing, but personally I'd just play NG2 on Warrior mode for my stress relief. :P

I'm probably still just pissed, though, that we are finally getting a Zelda hack n' slash game, but Nintendo picked the least interesting formula to emulate. But, then again, for any Wii-U owners who want a better action game experience, they are getting Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third, so I suppose there isn't much to complain about.

gunswordfist

So basically, to classify a Zelda game as a hack n slash, you'd have to take out the adventure? :-\

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 21, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
So basically, to classify a Zelda game as a hack n slash, you'd have to take out the adventure? :-\
Are there many hack n slash games with dungeons and over-worlds as good as Zelda?

Rynnec

gunswordfist

I almost choked on my Caprisun! :D Good one, Rynnec. Maybe Spark has some playin' to do instead of making vast generalizations.  :bleh:

Spark Of Spirit

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit