A Tribute To The Wii

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 24, 2012, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 01, 2012, 07:07:30 PM
Hey Desen, are Excitebite: World Rally and You, Me and the Cubes worth playing? They're up for Club Nintendo this month.
I don't have either, but Excitebike is apparently online multiplayer only and basically a remake of the NES game. You, Me, & The Cubes is apparently a really good puzzler.

I'm still debating on whether I'm gonna bite on them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'll pass on Excitebike then, since I don't like the original and don't think I can find people to play online with.

YMATC I'm considering though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

That is weird (regarding Kirby). I don't see how any Kirby fan could not like Return to Dream Land.

On top of that, I don't see how any Kirby fan could prefer Kirby 64. I liked Kirby 64 but it's arguably Kirby's weakest outing.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I mean there aren't really any outright bad Kirby games, but Kirby 64 just feels like another Kirby Adventure. Return To Dreamland feels like the sequel to Super Star I've been waiting for since the SNES. I's by far the meatiest Kirby game since it, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Kirby 64? Weakest entry? I'd say it's the fourth best. After Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Superstar, and Adventure of course. But other than those three, I don't see how anything else in the series could top 64.

Spark Of Spirit

Well other than the three Dream Land games there aren't really any other Kirby platformers. To be fiar, I would probably rank KDL2 below 64, but neither are really bad games.

Kiddington

Kirby 64 had some nice features, though; the power-combos were a nifty addition (Ice + Electric = Refrigerator!), and I kinda liked the whole collecting element with the crystal shards and all.

In fact, speaking of the power-combos, have they ever brought those back? I haven't really played any new Kirby games in a while (I really need to get around to renting Return to Dreamland one of these days), but I always thought that was a cool addition 64 had to offer. It'd be kind of a shame if that was the only outing to date that actually utilized it.

talonmalon333

Which do you guys think was the best "return to form" of these Wii platformers?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Rynnec

What, no Sonic Colours? :P

I haven't played Return to Dreamland yet, but I don't think Kirby's ever strayed too far from his root. Granted, Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad were nothing special in the long run.

So out of the two I have played, I'd pick NSMB Wii. Excellent Co-Op, return of the Koopa Kids, cool new powerups, and perfect balance of difficulty (and no, just because the game gives you plenty of lives and powerups does not make it any less difficult). The only thing the game could add to improve itself is more Yoshi's and replacing the two playable Toads with the Wario Bros.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on April 08, 2012, 05:32:32 PM
What, no Sonic Colours? :P

That's kinda different though, as it's 3D. :P

Quote from: Rynnec on April 08, 2012, 05:32:32 PMI haven't played Return to Dreamland yet, but I don't think Kirby's ever strayed too far from his root. Granted, Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad were nothing special in the long run.

With Kirby it's more of a return to consoles. I think I mostly just wanted to make a comparison between Nintendo 2D platformers. :P

Quote from: Rynnec on April 08, 2012, 05:32:32 PM
The only thing the game could add to improve itself is more Yoshi's and replacing the two playable Toads with the Wario Bros.

I think Yoshi was implemented well enough. He was a little overpowered in SMW. :P

Also, what a coincidence. On another site, I just mentioned the idea of a 2D Mario with the Mario and Wario Bros. as the playable characters. :P

Spark Of Spirit

If we're going on a quality basis, then NSMBWii is the winner for trouncing the DS version in every single way. RTDL would be second coming after Kirby 64, and DKCR would be last simply because the last game it came after (DKC3) was actually better than K64 and NSMBDS.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 08, 2012, 06:21:54 PM
If we're going on a quality basis, then NSMBWii is the winner for trouncing the DS version in every single way. RTDL would be second coming after Kirby 64, and DKCR would be last simply because the last game it came after (DKC3) was actually the better than K64 and NSMBDS.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2012, 06:22:56 PM
If we're going on a quality basis, then NSMBWii is the winner for trouncing the DS version in every single way. RTDL would be second coming after Kirby 64, and DKCR would be last simply because the last game it came after (DKC3) was actually the better than K64 and NSMBDS.

NSMBWii >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NSMBDS
KRTDL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> K64
DKCR > DKC3

Therefore:

NSMBWii
KRTDL
DKCR

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 08, 2012, 06:24:57 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2012, 06:22:56 PM

NSMBWii >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NSMBDS
KRTDL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> K64
DKCR > DKC3

Therefore:

NSMBWii
KRTDL
DKCR

From those games, all I know is:

DKCR>NSMBW>KRTDL>NSMB>K64>DKC3

Foggle

IMO, NSMBW>DKCR>K64>DKC3>NSMB