Monk

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 28, 2012, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I always liked the show. I always was amazed at how they were able to replace his assistant and still have it feel completely natural.

I never liked the episodes where you knew who the culprit was right off the bat, though. That's not why I watch mystery shows.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually liked a good chunk of those episodes. The whole point of those was that the mystery was in HOW the killer committed the murder, rather than the fact that they were the killer. There's actually quite a lot of Monk episodes that fit into that category (at least half of them, I'd say).

Avaitor

The Columbo method seems to be an acquired taste, but works well for a stop and think form of storytelling. I haven't seen these Monk episodes in question, but that does interest me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Never really watch Monk, but I've always liked what I've seen.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Nel_Annette

They were still entertaining, but I like figuring out who did it first, then how they did it. Just needing to know how doesn't interest me. I know who the bad guy is and I don't care anymore. It's a big reason why I could never get into L&O: Criminal Intent.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm willing to put up with it in a show like Monk since I like the characters enough, but I can see your point.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I like Stottlemeyer. His deadpan personality fits the tone of the show so well.

Still hard to believe this is the same guy that played Buffalo Bill.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And the listing shall continue!

Top 10 Favorite Monk Episodes:

10. Mr. Monk and the Magician
9. Mr. Monk and the Paperboy
8. Mr. Monk and the Actor
7. Mr. Monk is On the Air
6. Mr. Monk and the Badge
5. Mr. Monk is On the Run Parts 1 & 2
4. Mr. Monk and the Astronaut
3. Mr. Monk Makes a Friend
2. Mr. Monk and the Gameshow
1. Mr. Monk Gets a New Shrink

That was HARD for a series that's so consistent in quality. A ton of other great episodes that I had to leave off, but I'm really sure about my #1 pick being my absolute favorite in the series. Stanley Kamel (RIP) was such a great actor, and any scenes involving Dr. Kroger were always hilarious. Naturally, an episode centering around him would have to be my personal favorite.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't even think I could choose ten episodes to make up a top ten. There's just too many to sift through. Good choices, though. I especially enjoy makes a new friend and the gameshow.

It's too bad I no longer have this on Netflix here. It was a ton of fun watching through the series back when I had it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that was massively hard to so, but those are among my most re-watched episodes for a reason.

It totally sucks that your Netflix doesn't have it anymore, though. :(

Spark Of Spirit

What's the name of the episode where Randy has to carry Stottlemeyer through the building because of a broken leg (I think)? That might be my favorite episode. I laughed so hard at that one.