Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, March 16, 2012, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

I'm sorry, but I did laugh at Ted trailer. I remember catching last Sunday's Family Guy on Monday and they had a tamer trailer for it. I thought that was decent enough for me to watch.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Uh, so they're remaking The Thin Man.

Johnny Depp is going to be Nick, which I think is a pretty decent call. No word on who Nora is going to be, but the director of Chicago is taking the helm, which I think is a pretty crappy call.

I really hope this doesn't suck, but it probably will. You can't top William Powell and Myrna Loy. You just can't.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Is anyone here looking forward to Looper? It definitely has peaked my interest.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Hope you don't mind if I poll you guys about some of the year's most anticipated films. What are your thoughts for some of these?

The Avengers- Well, in case you don't know, I'm super fucking excited. I'm a Marvel guy all the way, have grown up reading the comics basically all my life, and have come back and forth to all the precursor films ever since they've come out. Considering the massive hype it's been getting and the many great reviews it already has, I'm expecting that my hopes won't be crushed.

Prometheus- I have to admit that Ridley Scott hasn't been as up to par in recent years as he did back in the days of Alien and Blade Runner, but this actually looks really cool. Being his long-awaited Alien prequel helps, but even on its own, this looks like a solid sci-fi flick, which I think is always a good thing.

Brave- I've made it no secret before that I'm not too impressed with the concept or footage I've seen of the film, but at the same time, Pixar has been able to surprise me with not-so-great premises or advertising before. This might be the change of pace they really need, and either way, I am intrigued that they're finally going with a female lead for one of their films.

But... Cars 2. After that, I think I have a right to be suspicious.

The Amazing Spider-Man- I'll admit that I wasn't expecting much out of this, and the trailers do leave a little to be desired. At the same time though, I was rather disappointed with the original Spidey films, so I'll probably give the film the benefit of the doubt and check it out in hope that it doesn't suck. It already gains points for putting Gwen in before MJ.

I'll miss Bruce Campbell though.

The Dark Knight Rises- I'm sadly not expecting much. As love as I love the first 2, the trailers have not given me much hope, and the law of averages says that it's very likely to suck. Plus Nolan totally seems like he's able to get so high up his ass that he'll spoil all the fun this could be. I also feel like mentioning that I've never seen a Catwoman I've liked on screen.

The Hobbit- ...I still haven't seen the original trilogy. I think subconsciously, I was waiting for the Hobbit to come out before I do. Now that we know that it's actually happening, I can get away with doing exactly that.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- This might be stretching it a little, but I'm adding it in myself since this is based off of one of the best YA novels in recent memory, along with Ned Vizzini and John Green's stuff. Having a talented cast and the author direct the film already give it a lot more cred than most adaptations as of late. I still wish that it was rated R, but hey, it's a high school movie, what're you gonna do?

Clint Eastwood's A Star is Born- And this one I added in for shits and giggles. This is the one movie that it's okay to remake every couple of decades, or at least that's what Hollywood wants us to think. I'm actually surprised that Eastwood hasn't done more remakes tbh, considering that he's the closest thing to a golden age director we still have today.

But yeah, I'm actually not interested at all. Not a fan of the story (The Artist is the closest thing to it that I really enjoyed), and I can tell that Beyonce is just going to reprise her role as Diana Ross here.

New blog!

Foggle

Just watched Alien again yesterday. Can't wait for Prometheus!

Spark Of Spirit

I wouldn't take the trailer to mean anything for TDKR. Batman Begins trailers were pretty bad, too. Nothing at all like the movie.  The sequel's weren't any better.

As for Spiderman... I don't care about the freaking origin story. Same thing with Superman. Everyone already knows it.

Avaitor

That's another one of my main beefs with ASM. We all know the origin- get to the meat of the characters already.

That's one of the things I really liked about SSM. It didn't bore you with retelling the origin, and just went straight to the action.

Also, Machete Kills is happening fo sha. Hell yes.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on April 21, 2012, 10:08:18 AM
I also feel like mentioning that I've never seen a Catwoman I've liked on screen.
Really? I thought Pfeiffer was brilliant. DeVito's Penguin was also magnificent. Batman Returns is such an underrated film.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 05:30:28 PM
I also feel like mentioning that I've never seen a Catwoman I've liked on screen.
Really? I thought Pfeiffer was brilliant. DeVito's Penguin was also magnificent. Batman Returns is such an underrated film.
Batman was in that movie?

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2012, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 05:30:28 PM
Batman was in that movie?
He wasn't really in Dark Knight, either.

Thank god for that one, at least.

Spark Of Spirit

My main issue with Returns was that the Penguin was used way too much (and made way too gross) to the point where Batman was barely even seen. Even Catwoman got shafted there.

In Dark Knight there was a LOT going on from the Joker to Two Face, to his own life that it made sense.

Foggle

I guess I've always kind of liked that. Batman is a badass, but I find the villains far more interesting than him. When the story focuses primarily on the bad guys, it makes for a better production IMO. That's why Returns and Dark Knight are my favorite Batman films.