The Boondocks

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

The two banned season 2 episodes finally make their debut this Friday.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1264233657126072331

Peanutbutter

Cool, so the BET hit piece one and whatever happens with Uncle Ruckus in the other. Glad we already know this won't be an anti-climax like that Dexter's Lab episode where Dex and Dee Dee had clones that swore.

Avaitor

Yep, along with the Tyler Perry episode from season 3 that only aired once.

If you don't have the DVDs, this will be a worthwhile night.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

McGruder took off the "2022" from his Instagram page, implying it's delayed yet again.

Since seeing this video again and being reminded that contrary to popular belief McGruder had a lot of input in season 4 and only left late in production, I have to ask if season 5 will be any good. Season 4's flaws didn't come out of nowhere. The show was already falling into a formula of "Stinkmeaner episode, Granddad's sex life episode, Riley tries to be badass but fails episode, reality TV episode, thinly-veiled pisstake on black celebrity episode, Uncle Ruckus episode/s" and getting wackier with each season. While the political commentary became repetitive and occasionally dated due to season delays. They were still making Donald Rumsfeld jokes by season 3 in 2010. The first three seasons were still good, but in time, it's been easier to see the cracks show.

Like the show's fascination with the wacky characters such as Uncle Ruckus, enough that McGruder tried to crowdfund a live-action Ruckus movie, inadvertently pushed Huey to the sidelines and gave him nothing to do besides give lectures and do fight scenes. The show never knew what to do with Huey beyond that. Taking away Caesar from the comic strip gave Huey no one on his level to ground or bring any chemistry out of him, like a Daria without a Jane, and he instead becomes little more than a background extra to Riley and Granddad's plots. I get it. Boondocks is a comedy first and foremost, and the characters who make the audience laugh take precedence over the characters who do the soapboxing like Huey. I preferred the wacky characters to Huey too, but the show never develops or remolds Huey to fit as a comedic character, either because McGruder didn't know how to do make Huey funny without poking fun at his political views (or himself) or he just preferred writing Ruckus or Thugnificent, and it robs the show of its heart.

Daxdiv

Kinda bummed, but at the same time I'm not surprised considering how many times the series got delayed.

Dr. Insomniac

McGruder's always had that problem though. Remember how long the gaps were between the first three seasons, or the 4-year gap between Black Jesus seasons, or how McGruder apparently directed and wrote a movie 4 years ago starring Regina King that never came out. Meanwhile, the last thing he made that reached screens was that Charlamagne Tha God show.

Daxdiv

I always chalked up the delays due to how it feels like Adult Swim has the budget of a ham sandwich from time to time. It's one of the reasons why Venture Bros seasons took a while to come out, I need to look for the quote, but I could have sworn that one of VB creators mentioned that the pay was comparable to "working the good shift at Denny's." Though, learning about McGruder's other projects getting delay does make me question his work ethic.

Dr. Insomniac

According to those leaked Sony emails about Season 4, even McGruder's bosses were exasperated by how long it took to make a season.