Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

Ser Barristan's actor said a very surprising thing regarding the last two books. That GRRM told him they have already been completed and he made an agreement with HBO not to publish them until the show's over. Whether he's lying, saying a he-said she-said thing, going senile, or he's actually telling the truth, I have no idea.

Meanwhile, Randyll Tarly's actor wants his sword back.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I for one am so glad that D & D saw fit to take all of this time to cut back to that one sub-plot of Arya trying to save a random family that ends up being killed anyways. That was totally worth all of the other rushed story-telling to get to what really matters. Between this, and spending a full third of this season building up to an anticlimactic resolution to a story-line that has only been around since literally the prologue of episode one, it's clear that these are writers who know how to prioritize.

Also, violence is bad, guys. I'm not sure if you got that message, as D & D were REALLY subtle about it, but you may have noticed a few small scenes of people running in terror from Dany's forces and Drogon. There were also lots of corpses strewn about, but I fear the episode may not have focused on that enough in order for people to comprehend the moral being taught here.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, those were definitely scenes where Arya tried to save some civilians only to fail. Again. And again. And again. Then a horse showed up.

That was definitely a Cleganebowl. Wasn't particularly hyped.

Those Stark soldiers suddenly activating Order 66 was a thing.

Jaime indeed throwing away seasons of character development and having a meaningless fight with Euron was also a thing.

That Golden Company sure existed.

Yeah...

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 12, 2019, 06:16:43 PM
Ser Barristan's actor said a very surprising thing regarding the last two books. That GRRM told him they have already been completed and he made an agreement with HBO not to publish them until the show's over. Whether he's lying, saying a he-said she-said thing, going senile, or he's actually telling the truth, I have no idea.

Meanwhile, Randyll Tarly's actor wants his sword back.

...........I have a very big feeling he wasn't lying. It makes way too many things in retrospect make sense to be false.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found the perfect visual representation of the quality of this show for the past few seasons: https://youtu.be/dk60P_dzgk8

Dr. Insomniac

I don't know why people say that the last two seasons would have been improved if D&D made them 10-episode seasons instead of shortening them so they could leave the show faster. This last season had plenty of fluff as it was, like the 30-minute drinking scene. Increasing the amount of episodes would have only led to more padding instead of time spent on characterization.

And it sucks to see people defending Dany's shift by saying "She was always destined to do this if you watched the show closely!" For starters, have they watched the show? Because up until this episode, the majority of the people she killed were those who wronged her. She killed Mirri Maaz Durr for killing her child and destroying Drogo's mind. She burned the House of the Undying because Pyat Pree was a shit. She burned all of those slavers because they were slavers. She burned those Khals in season 6 because they were going to rape her. She burned the Tarlys because they were enemy soldiers who refused to surrender and take the black. The people she killed who didn't deserve it were often murdered by accident or as victims of circumstance, not by her going insane and burning everything in front of her. That's like arguing just because Batman used a gun all the way back in those Golden Age comics excuses him becoming a crazy gun nut in Dawn of Justice.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For what it's worth, though, the people defending the show has steadily decreased over time to the point of those fans being in the minority. I was worried that this show would continue to get undue praise after a lot of otherwise legitimate critics were praising season six as being one of the series' best, but it was honestly just as horse-shit as the stuff that we're getting now. However, from season seven to now, those same people, as well as even a number of casual fans, seem to have caught on to how bad the writing in this show has truly gotten.

It also says a lot to D & D's actual level of "talent" that all of these problems for the show really started to come into play once they started running out of book material to adapt, and that the story-telling and characterization became completely nonsensical by mid-way into season five.

Dr. Insomniac

It turned out everyone who shit on Jaime for being a selfish Kingslayer were completely right, and Catelyn should have killed him when she had the chance.
It turned out everyone who called Dany a crazy mass murderer like her father were completely right, and Robert should have killed him when he had the chance.
It turned out everyone who thought Tyrion was nothing but a duplicitous imp were completely right, and Tywin should have killed him when he had the chance.

By the way, GRRM refutes Ser Barristan's claim that the books are all done.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 13, 2019, 08:56:56 PM
It turned out everyone who shit on Jaime for being a selfish Kingslayer were completely right, and Catelyn should have killed him when she had the chance.
It turned out everyone who called Dany a crazy mass murderer like her father were completely right, and Robert should have killed him when he had the chance.
It turned out everyone who thought Tyrion was nothing but a duplicitous imp were completely right, and Tywin should have killed him when he had the chance.

By the way, GRRM refutes Ser Barristan's claim that the books are all done.

Problem is GRRM himself has lied. He didn't address who it was that made the claim. It could be he didn't finish the books, but this could just be him muddying the waters.

Avaitor

Honestly, Dany going insane could have been a great reveal, if D&D weren't so hellbent on keeping her in badass mode up until this season, and actually spent more time building up to her downfall. It really just feels like a lazy last-minute twist.

Besides that, I can't tell if I'm more disappointed by Cersei and Jaime's blink and you'll miss it demise, or how underwhelming Cleganebowl turned out. I will give credit that it was a well-directed episode, at least. The impact felt bigger than "The Long Night". Not to mention that you could actually see stuff this time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on May 15, 2019, 05:32:03 PMhow underwhelming Cleganebowl turned out.
I never got much hype for Cleganebowl. Gregor was already a walking corpse so any personal stakes were already gone, and because of where it took place, both opponents were already doomed to die no matter who won. The only thing it could accomplish was spectacle, and it wasn't any more spectacular than any other fight in the show. The Hound's fight with Brienne was more fun to watch, as was the Mountain's duel with Oberyn.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, gotta hand it to Dan & Dave....I was expecting this finale to be utter trash....but somehow they still managed to exceed my expectations. I mean, hey, if you're gonna fail, at least fail spectacularly. Bravo! :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, I'm just going to temporarily ignore the fact that Robin Arryn wasn't at that counsel meeting to decide the new King of Westeros, since you know, he's the lord of the Vale, last time I checked, and it was never even mentioned that he died or was too unhealthy to attend. Let's just say for the sake of argument that he sent Nestor Royce in his place. Did the Lords of the Vale not pledge fealty to the North when Jon was declared as King of the North? Even after Jon pledged fealty to Dany, Royce still remained at Winterfell as a close adviser to Sansa, implying that their was still a loyalty and alliance between the Vale and Winterfell. So when Tyrion, who might I remind you was a prisoner being tried for treason (in which all his lordly powers should have been suspended), named Bran ruler of the six kingdoms (that's a whole other can of worms that I'm not even going to attempt to address right this minute) after Sansa declared that the North would go back to being an independent monarchy, I kind of had to do a double-take. I mean, not even a single acknowledgement of their previous agreement was mentioned. Tyrion just went ahead and said that Bran will be ruling the other six kingdoms and not a single question came up of the Vale's previous allegiance to the North, in which they were already supposed to be a part of that separate kingdom, so it should automatically be assumed that Bran is ruler of the five Kingdoms unless the territory of the Vale was explicitly renegotiated.

The sheer level of oversight in the writing with huge instances like this is a clear giveaway that D&D beyond just being bad at their job, clearly don't give a fuck about any sense of internal logic within the world of the show.