Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Robin did show up at the meeting, but he looked so different since we last saw him that it was hard to notice. Same thing with the new prince of Dorne. They just kind of sat there as cameos. Though it begs to question why it was a unanimous decision to not only initiate a Stark supremacy, but also exclusive Stark independence in the North.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ah, OK, yeah that one's on me. Completely didn't notice him at first. Still stand by what I said about the Vale, though.

Dr. Insomniac

Since Bran saw visions of King's Landing in flames before it actually happened, that means he could have stopped Dany from murdering hundreds of thousands of people, but chose not to. He could have alerted Arya and Sansa, or told Jon that he has to do everything in his power to console Dany. Or maybe he could have told Dany to remember the Iron Fleet and make sure they don't kill her allies. But no, he allowed all this shit to happen when he had the power to stop it all. Those aren't the actions of a man who deserves to be king. Why would anyone want a king who knowingly lets more deaths to happen than the entire War of the Five Kings? It's like if Watchmen ended with everyone agreeing that Dr. Manhattan should be king of the world.

Not to mention Jon having a crisis of identity, and refusing to bed Dany? That was all him. He was the one who made Sam tell Jon he was actually Aegon. If he kept his mouth shut, Jon and Dany would have stayed a couple. Dany wouldn't have lost her remaining restraining bolt that prevented her from burning innocent folk alive. But no. Bran apparently couldn't let some truths stay hidden, even when their reveal gives no benefit to anyone involved. Maybe he foresaw Jon and Dany's eventual child would have been an evil incest king who made Aerys, Ramsay, and Euron combined look like saints, but he never tells us that. For all we know, he destroyed their relationship and turned Dany crazy simply because he wanted to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, at least in Dr. Manhattan's case he had the excuse of not being able to see a speguc point in the future that Ozymandias blocked off to him. It does require a bit of a plot contrivance, but at least it's acknowledged and explained.

Also, I don't get why the writers even decided to give Bran the power of foresight. Unless this is revealed later in the books, he is established to only be able to see through Weirwood trees in the present into the past, as well as ravens and other animals, which limits how ridiculously OP his abilities are with how the show lets him see anything at anytime anywhere. Yet, this ignores the numerous plot holes that it would inevitably set up.

Dr. Insomniac

I hated how they kept repeating the message that the best ruler is someone who doesn't want to rule. It isn't leadership skills, charisma, or even empathy for your common man that makes you a good leader, no. It's that you don't want to lead.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

A recent interview from D&D's been making the news, and I noticed how pissed people were by the two wanting to expand their show's accessibility to moms and NFL players by toning down the fantasy. Someone else even pointed out that approach ultimately didn't work out for one of those demographics. I can understand wanting to tailor GOT to be more in line with HBO's other work by nerfing Melisandre, cutting out Lady Stoneheart, or removing all of Euron's sorcery, but when the fantasy genre had been more or less accepted by the masses thanks to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter making money at the box office, it sounds backwards to suggest the show's fantastical elements had to be either erased or limited in order to appeal to casual audiences. Especially when the show was at the stage when it had no option other than to depict fantasy concepts like the White Walkers or the Three-Eyed Raven, only to prove they didn't understand these ideas. If D&D understood the ramifications of the Three-Eyed Raven, Bran's entire arc in the last two seasons wouldn't have been so awkward to watch.

Also, one of the prequels got cancelled before it could make it to air. But another's been ordered.

Dr. Insomniac

It could have been worse.

talonmalon333

It's wild to think about how much Game of Thrones disappeared from pop culture after it ended. I know that's what happens when a show ends, but it just feels more noticeable since that was the show everyone was talking about for years. It's telling how an ending that bad can really burn whatever good-will a show has built up over years of dominating pop culture, and I feel like its legacy will be as a once great show that ended badly, instead of being known as the biggest show of the 2010s.

Dr. Insomniac

There's always that one sci-fi/fantasy show every few years that breaks out of a genre audience and reaches mainstream acclaim, but then fails to stick the landing and goes from must-see TV to maligned in just a few weeks. It happened with Lost, BSG, X-Files.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, though, people tend to still remember those shows for having really good runs for their first few seasons. I think after a few years you'll see much the same for GOT. People will still rightly hate the last few seasons, but at least the first four seasons will be remembered as classic TV.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 30, 2020, 10:23:38 PM
There's always that one sci-fi/fantasy show every few years that breaks out of a genre audience and reaches mainstream acclaim, but then fails to stick the landing and goes from must-see TV to maligned in just a few weeks. It happened with Lost, BSG, X-Files.

That's true (though I can't speak for X-Files as I never saw the last few seasons). Admittedly, I think I'm more forgiving of the Battlestar Galactica ending now than I used to be, maybe after having seen worse endings. I do think the ending of Game of Thrones is exceptionally bad, though, even in comparison to those ones.

Avaitor

Right now, Game of Thrones is almost making HIMYM's ending seem beloved by comparison. That one's pre-finale reputation has been slightly rehabilitated over the years, but it still stings to many, and most seem to prefer similar series instead like Friends or New Girl. I think the same will happen to GOT.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/