Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Brienne's interaction with Hot Pie and her learning of Arya's fate is an invention of the show, one that I'm curious to see how the show tackles later on.

But boy, wasn't that ending scene rewarding?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Yes, yes it was.

"Hello! My name is Oberyn Martell. You slaughtered my nieces and nephews, then raped and killed my sister. Prepare to die."
?a line of dialogue I'm half-hoping will be in the next episode.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I'm probably going to sound like an ass-hole but he kind of had that coming. That's what happens when you mess around with a guy called the fucking mountain. He had the perfect opportunity to finish him off and didn't take it because of getting that confession that he so badly wanted. But, at least he fatally wounded the other guy (I think), so consider that his one and only consolation prize.

Still, you've gotta love the irony of the line "size doesn't matter when you're laying flat on your back." Apparently it kind of does. Really, though, I feel worse for Tyrion than anyone else, in all of this. Part of me hopes that something last minute will prevent his execution, but the rest of me remembers that Deus Ex Machina and this show rarely ever mix, so as far as I know this may be Peter Dinklage's last season on the show. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

The real star of this episode for me, though, was Sansa. She's come a long way from being that naive little girl that she was in season 1, hasn't she? Her performance in front of the counsel of the Vale was arguably on par with Dinklage's performance at the trial scene in an earlier episode of this season.

GregX

That episode... wow. I was shouting at my TV "you fucking idiot! You fucking idiot! You fucking idiot!" Stop playing with him and just kill him!

Avaitor

My link needed refreshing in the middle of that scene, so it ended up literally freezing mid-splatter.

It was kind of annoying, but hella cool when I think about it. And yeah, he is definitely someone who let his emotions get the better of him, so it's not surprising for that to be his downfall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, now that I think about it, that confession served another purpose. If Dorne gets wind of what really happened, it'll give them grounds to rebel against the Lannisters. Also, isn't Cersei's daughter supposed to be in Dorne right now? She'd basically be in an instant hostage for them, not unlike how Sansa was for the Lannisters as leverage against the Starks.

GregX

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, in just a few minutes we will see Jon Snow and the Night's Watch engage in an effort to defend the wall, in an episode which I'm hoping reminds me of Blackwater in all of the right ways. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jon and Sam survive this season, but since this is GOT that doesn't mean shit, so their chances are as 50/50 as ever (as far as I know).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And thus ends the "You know nothing Jon Snow," meme. Man was that an intense as fuck episode. I loved every minute of it. This is going to be one crazy finale.

Avaitor

It was wonderfully directed, but I have to admit, this might have been my lesser favorite pre-season finale to date. I like Jon, but I've always found it hard to be especially attached to him and the Night's Watch.

They did a fantastic job handling the meat of the action, though.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know if I agree. I liked it a little bit more than Blackwater, which itself was an awesome episode, but wasn't as intense for me because aside from wanting Tyrion to live through it, I really wanted to see Stannis win the fight and take Joffrey's head. With this episode, I cared about the outcomes of not only Jon and Sam, but I wanted to see the Night's Watch remain in tact so that Jon could take over command of it eventually (which is what it seems like the series has been building up to).

Also, there were tons of bad-ass scenes, like the giant shooting an arrow that carried a guy all the way to the other side of the wall, Ghost absolutely mutilating a Wildling, and that fucking scythe that just tore through any poor-sap who was attempting to scale the wall when they dropped it. Last I checked, Blackwater didn't have any of those. ;)

And of course, "Let's light the fuckers up!" was a bad-ass motivational line both in and out of context, whereas "Let's go fuck them in their asses!" can be taken entirely the wrong way out of context, you have to admit. :humhumhum:

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2014, 02:12:22 PM
And of course, "Let's light the fuckers up!" was a bad-ass motivational line both in and out of context, whereas "Let's go fuck them in their asses!" can be taken entirely the wrong way out of context, you have to admit. :humhumhum:
haha, fair enough. This is definitely an episode that I want to rewatch when I get to collecting ti, which is a good thing. Especially since there's a couple from this season that I'm ambivalent to returning to.

New blog!

GregX

I preferred "Blackwater", but this was still great. Very well choreographed, and as great a battle as you will ever see on any television budget. It felt a lot like the Battle of Helms Deep without being too over-the-top.

And, hey, GIANTS RIDING MAMMOTHS!

I can't wait for the finale.

And how come the thread for "Agents of S.H.I.T." is bigger than this one? We need to correct that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Once this season is finished, I'm probably going to attempt to catch up with the books before season 5 premieres, next year.

Quote from: GregX on June 11, 2014, 12:29:07 PMAnd how come the thread for "Agents of S.H.I.T." is bigger than this one? We need to correct that.

I think that we all just love ragging on that show too much. :sly: