Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I'm thinking I'm giving the false impression that I hate the show now, and it's not true. I just hated this episode for the stated reasons and others that have already been discussed thoroughly on certain other sites. I'm sure that once other parts of the plot like Stannis finally meeting the Boltons and Lancel telling the High Sparrow about Cersei's perversions happen, it will get better.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not liking the way those scenes were portrayed is completely understandable, and I'm not trying to argue with you about that. I was just addressing your complaints concerning the logic in those scenes and plot points, in that they all had objective in-show explanations to address them, such as with Arya, the Tyrells, the Iron Bank, and so on.

As for reviews, a majority of them have been positive about the season on the whole, so far, with some common complaints. As far as I can see, this latest episode is the only one that stirred up very mixed reactions from critics, with a lot of heat going to that Sansa scene in particular.

Personally, I enjoyed the episode, but do think that it's one of the weaker ones of the season, overall. The only part that I downright disliked, though, is the fight in the Water Gardens and that whole sloppy situation in general. It felt like a combination of bad choreography and bad writing.

Dr. Insomniac

Peanutbutter

Cersei's finally getting knocked down several pegs. I've been waiting four seasons for this.  :shakeshakeshake:

Dr. Insomniac

I liked Olenna and the High Sparrow arguing. Seeing Tyrells call out and get called is always fun.

Still not won over by the Winterfell arc since it feels like Sansa's character went back to square one. If anything, she probably had more agency in the first season since she almost threw Joffrey off a castle had The Hound not gotten in the way, whereas she needs Theon's help to light the candle in the tower. I know it's meant to show how broken she is under the Bolton's control, but we already had that with the Lannisters. I'm expecting one of the Bolton soldiers to shout "Here we go again!" in a sitcom voice every time something bad happens to Sansa. Like the Krillin Owned Count.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do actually agree about Sansa, overall. I'm liking the Bolton story-line, myself, and unlike most people I found the rape scene from last episode to be necessary to show that despite all of the horrible stuff that Sansa has gone through so far, it will only get worse and she will have to manage somehow until she can learn to play the game better and take advantage of her situation. Having her beg Theon for help in this episode was not only an incredibly stupid season one move that you'd expect her to make, but also feels so off considering that, as far as she knows, he killed her younger brothers. I should mention that the books handled Theon's character arc much better than this.

That, and Dorne was once again a disappointment in this episode. I'm just going to come right out and say it: the actresses for the Sand Snakes are terrible. I'm not sure who cast them, but they really fucked up. And what's worse is that they are getting much more focus than more interesting characters like Doran, who's barely had any screen-time on the show so far. Furthermore, when Bronn got poisoned in the last episode I expected a better pay-off than what we got, but to be fair maybe that'll still come back into play.

Having said that, I loved the rest of the episode. Tyrion and Jorah were great (though I'm super disappointed about how underwhelming Daznak's Pit is in the show, even if they can't match the scale of the books), and hey, we finally got to the major plot point that we were hoping for. And as for Dany, did anyone notice that Daario basically suggested for her to organize a Red Wedding-type scenario? It may not seem as bad since she's still considered to be one of the good guys, but it's funny how it's basically just as bad as what the Freys and Boltons pulled on the Starks. I also loved seeing Olenna get talked down to for once. And finally there's Cersei, who after so long is finally beginning her long-awaited downfall. To someone like her the idea of a pure, incorruptible person is nothing more than a myth, but by giving so much power to such a man, she has ensured her own demise. And I have to say, Jonathan Pryce is killing it as the High Sparrow. It almost makes up for the horrible acting of the Sand Snakes.

The scene of Sam saving Gilli was cute, nothing more. I did like how they did Maester Aemon's death and funeral scenes, though. He's that rare GOT character that had a nice long life and a peaceful, natural death. Turning down the offer to become the King was the best decision that he ever made. And finally we have Millsandre trying to convince Stannis to sacrifice his daughter to ensure his victory. I have no idea how that's going to turn out, so I'm really interested to see how it unfolds.

Dr. Insomniac

Egg... I dreamed I was a head in a tube.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Insomniac

RIP Karsi the Wildling Lady.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So that's what happened at Hardhome! Damn....no wonder Cotter Pyke sounded so pissed in his letter.

This was a far better action scene than in the previous few episodes, though not quite as well-shot as Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall.

Also, Dan & Dave totally just spoiled the fact that the White Walker we saw staring down Jon was the Night's King. Thanks, guys....

Aside from that, Tyrion and Dany stole the show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Does anyone else find it weird that the White Walkers and their minions apparently can't swim? That aspect of how things were left off after the fight kind of bothered me. It makes them feel a bit less threatening when they are willing to throw themselves off of cliffs in hordes to attack people, but can't stand to get a little wet.

That said, it's just a minor gripe on my part.

Dr. Insomniac

Well the White Walkers are ice creatures, so I'd assume swimming would just turn the resulting water into ice and make them sink. Though that doesn't explain why the Wights just can't go underwater and walk.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I probably should have used my vocabulary a bit better. The White Walkers and Night's King are like the generals of the army and thus actually have value for their own lives since they are intelligent beings that control the Wights. That said, the Wights themselves are completely expendable, so like you suggested, they should be fine with pursuing the living survivors through the water, and seeing as how they are basically just re-animated corpses, they probably aren't that heavy and thus can probably swim.

That said, to be fair, there is still a lot that we don't know about them, yet.

Anyways, we are approaching the dreaded episode 9, and no major character has died yet, so....yeah, it's anyone's guess who's going to be off'd. Aside from one certain character who  I won't mention for potential spoiler reasons, I have a bad feeling about Bronn and/or Jaime.

Dr. Insomniac

Peanutbutter

Can't believe how many people didn't see that coming, I mean come on! It's called dramatic irony! What's really ridiculous is seeing some say they're ditching the show. So, the rapes didn't make you leave, but a child being burned to death is your limit? Well, okay then.

Seriously, it was obvious from the get-go how much Stannis believed Melisandre. Just because Ned died trying to put him on the throne doesn't mean he's a great person. I'm curious of Jon's reaction though.