Ninja Gaiden Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quality > Quantity. And if you don't know how to stay in the air with Nero's Devil Bringer and how many more air attacks he has than Dante than you need to go see a doctor. Nero was clearly made to be more geared towards air comboing while Dante still just has the same sword air combo from DMC3.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 08, 2012, 01:32:19 AM
Quality > Quantity.

Indeed. The thing is, Nero has absolutely NO quality to begin with. Red Queen is a lame-ass sword and is also much slower to wield than Dante's Rebellion, unless you use Exceed/MAX-Act which is a downright stupid way to have to power up Nero's attacks and actually get him to attack faster than a snail.

QuoteAnd if you don't know how to stay in the air with Nero's Devil Bringer and how many more air attacks he has than Dante than you need to go see a doctor.

I think you need to learn how to play the game. Nero's Devil Bring is a SHALLOW addition to the game for button-mashers like you. It helps him stay in the air longer but it requires absolutely no skill to use and Nero STILL can't air combo nearly as well as Dante even with utilizing the Devil Bringer arm.

Also, I'd tell you to see a doctor or psychologist in general, but the fact is nobody could help you with your immense stupidity.

QuoteNero was clearly made to be more geared towards air comboing

No. Nero was clearly made to be more geared towards the casual crowd such as yourself who have NO SKILL to be able to air combo the proper way. People like you are afraid of having to utilize actual skills in a game, after all. :>

Quotewhile Dante still just has the same sword air combo from DMC3.

First of all, even DMC3 Dante's air-combos are FAR superior to anything Nero can pull off. Second of all, DMC4 Dante can switch between styles on fly which was not possible in DMC3 in which you had to stick to one style at a time. That means that Dante can switch between Trickster and Sword Master which both drastically increase his air-combo abilities, with the former allowing him to maneuver in the air and stay in the air longer in general if utilized correctly, and the latter allowing him to use and chain together multiple extra sword combos in mid-air that he can't utilize when using another style. Once again, I find it hilarious that I know more about you favorite action game series than you do. :D

gunswordfist

:D Oh that's right, Dante has to change his freaking style just to use that one sword air combo. Doesn't he just do one attack in the air if he doesn't use those two styles? :lol:

And how are Dante's air combos superior? Again, Nero has more and he also beats Dante in quantity with his number of sword attacks. Sounds like you are geared towards not paying attention. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 08, 2012, 01:50:05 AM
:D Oh that's right, Dante has to change his freaking style just to use that one sword air combo. Doesn't he just do one attack in the air if he doesn't use those two styles? :lol:

And everything you just said only confirms that Dante has superior combo abilities to Nero. So, yeah....you kind of just killed your own point with that post. Good job, you did my work for me. Now I don't even have to argue with you on that point. :thumbup:

QuoteAnd how are Dante's air combos superior?

A better question is how long has it been since you've had you're eyes checked....or your common sense for that matter? :>

QuoteAgain, Nero has more

How? All you say is that Nero is better. I at least offer factual evidence to support my claims. All you do is just claim stuff and can't even back it up. You argue like a 6-year old who just likes one character better than the other because he thinks he looks cooler or some stupid shit like that which doesn't concern me, being that I only give a shit about actual gameplay mechanics, with Nero severely lacking in that department.

Quoteand he also beats Dante in quantity with his number of sword attacks. Sounds like you are geared towards not paying attention. :sly:

Let's see, here are a list of ALL of Nero's pre-set combos and attacks:

Red Queen Combo A, B, C, D
Aerial Combo
Roulette Spin
High Roller
Streak (which is just a shittier version of Dante's Stinger)
Split
Double Down
Calibur
Shuffle

All together that's 12 different attacks. And that's ALL he can do with his sword aside from doing the EX versions of those moves, which are just more powered up versions of those combos that you can do by filling up you're EX-Guage.

Now look at Dante's melee abilities:

Rebellion:

Rebellion Combo A, B
Helm Breaker
High Time
Stinger
Million Stab
Round Trip
Prop (SM)
Shredder (SM)
Aerial Rave (SM)
Drive (SM)
Quick Drive (SM)
Over Drive (SM)
Dance Macabre (SM)

That's 14 combos with Rebellion ALONE, which already puts him above Nero, but hell, let's keep going with his other melee weapons:

Gilgamesh:

Gilgamesh Combo A, B
Full House
Draw
Straight
Kick 13
Flush
Shock! (SM)
Shocking! (SM)
Beast Uppercut (SM)
Rising Dragon (SM)
Divine Dragon (SM)
Real Impact (SM)

Lucifer:

Lucifer Combo A, B, C, D, E
Splash
Ecstasy
Pin-Up
Discipline (SM)
Climax (SM)
Bondage (SM)

BTW, Those names are intentional, its meant to be humorous in a really weird Japanese perverted sort of way. :D

Anyways, there you go. Dante factually beat Nero in quantity and anyone with a brain can tell that his combat just has more depth and thus far more actual quality to it. You basically have no argument against me here, GSF. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just for comparison's sake (since I was feeling bored), here is a list of Ryu's combos for each of his weapons in NG2, starting with the Dragon Sword:

Dragon Sword:

Ground:
Piercing Dragon's Fang X, X, X, X, X 1
Dragon Tear X, X, X, Forward + X 3
Steel Splitter X, X, X, Y 4
Tiger Roar X, X, Y 1
Fang of the Wolf X, X, Y, Y 2
Fortuitous Phoenix X, X, Y, Y, Y, Y 3
Ikaruga X, X, Y, Forward + Y 2
Seal of Ten X, X, Forward + X, X 1
Three Lights X, X, Forward + X, Y 1
Wrath of Izanagi X, X, Forward + X, Y, Y 2
Blade of the Empty Air X, Y, X 1
Blade of Susano'o X, Y, X, X, X, X 2
Izuna Drop (Throw) X, Y, X, X, X, Y 2
Scarlet Dragon X, Hold Y 1
Cloud Dragon Flying Swallow X, Hold Y, Y, Y, Y 4
Windmill Slash Forward + X 1
Violent Wind Forward + X, X, Forward + X 1
Violent Gale Forward + X, X, Forward + X, X 2
Piercing Wind Forward + X, X, Forward + Y 1
Dragon of Heaven Forward + X, X, Forward + Y, Y, Forward + Y 2
Dragon of Earth Forward + X, X, Forward + Y, Y, Forward + Hold Y 2
Crimson Tempest Y, Y 1
Undefeatable Demon Y, Y, Y 2
Haze Straight Slash Hold Y 1
Oblivion Cross Cut Hold Y with essence 1
Blade of the Dragon's Scales Hold Y with maximum essence 4
Azure Dragon Forward + Y 1
Scarlet Dragon Forward + Hold Y 1
Violent Wind X (while running) 1
Violent Gale X, X (while running) 2
Piercing Wind Y (while running) 1
Dragon of Heaven Y, Y, Forward + Y (while running) 2
Dragon of Earth Y, Y, Forward + Hold Y (while running) 2
Flying Crane Circle + Y 2
Gleaming Blade Circle + Hold Y 3
Roaring Gleam Circle + Hold Y with essence 3
True Dragon Gleam Circle + Hold Y with maximum essence 4
Deep Crimson X, X (while blocking) 1
Gleaming Cross Y (while blocking) 1
Rising Dragon Y (next to downed enemy) 1

In Air:
Blade of the Empty Air X 1
Blade of Nirrti X, X, X, X 2
Izuna Drop (Throw) X, X, X, Y 2
Helmet Splitter Y 1
Air Destruction Slash X (while jumping forward) 1
Falling Dragon Blade Y (while jumping forward) 1
Flying Swallow Forward + Y (while jumping forward) 1
Azure Swallow Forward + Y, Y (while jumping forward) 2
Divine Flying Swallow Forward + Y, Y, Y (while jumping forward) 3
Spinning Blade X (while landing jump) 2
Guillotine Throw (Throw) A + X (while jumping near enemy) 1

On Wall:
Flying Swallow X or Y (while wall running) 1
Flying Dragon Blade X 1
Cicada Slash Y 1
Divine Flying Dragon X (during Flying Bird Flip) 1
Divine Cicada Slash Y (during Flying Bird Flip) 1

In Water:
Divider of Waves X, X (while running on water) 1
Blade of Empty Water X, Y, X (while running on water) 1
Blade of Empty Seas X, Y, X, X (while running on water) 2
Aquatic Flying Swallow Y (while running on water) 1
Heavy Mists X (at water surface) 1
Flying Osprey Y (at water surface) 1
Demon Shark X (underwater) 1
Great Demon Shark Y (underwater) 1

Movement:
Reverse Wind Left Trigger + any movement 1
Wind Path A (while jumping near enemy) 1
Wind Run A + X 1
Flying Bird Flip A (on wall) 1
Calm Water Run A + X (while running on water) 1
Calm Water Break Left Trigger + A (while running on water) 1

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just realized that posting up all of the combos for each of Ryu's weapons in NG2 went WAY over the character limit for a single post on this board.

Maybe I'll post the rest up tomorrow in single installments just to forcibly remind people why Itagaki's NG games will never be topped by anything the hacks and Tecmo try to do without him. ;)

Foggle

gunswordfist

Actually, Drive attack, any form of Stinger and upward slash attacks aren't combos. Nero has more attacks per combo (which is what I was talking about). Nice try writing all of that for no reason though. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

How do you not notice these things? I mean, look at the cutscene where Dante receives the damn weapon for the first time. Its basically an entire minute of him sputing out sexual innuendo. :blush:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 08, 2012, 11:51:50 AM
Actually, Drive attack, any form of Stinger and upward slash attacks aren't combos. Nero has more attacks per combo (which is what I was talking about). Nice try writing all of that for no reason though. :sly:

You mentioned sword attacks. You never used the terminology combos. The funny thing is that if you take away that stuff from Dante you also take away Nero's "basic attacks" as well, leaving him with only 4 combos. Once again, you still just proved yourself wrong. And yet again, you just did my work for me. Good job there, pal. :>

Foggle

Take this with a grain of salt because it's just a rumor, but apparently Ninja Gaiden 3's sales are absolutely pathetic. It's sold something like 100,000 copies across both consoles. That's worse than No More Heroes back when it was Wii-exclusive.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Regardless of rumors, I wouldn't doubt one bit that this game sold like shit. If it sold 100,000 copies, then its lucky that it even got that far, because it certainly doesn't deserve it.

This will lead to either one of 2 things happening. Either:

1. Tecmo will assume that nobody wants to play Ninja Gaiden games anymore and will stop producing new Ninja Gaiden games in general and focus on Dead or Alive which is basically the ONLY popular franchise they have left....until they screw that up as well

OR....

2. Tecmo will see that Ninja Gaiden is basically still one of the only 2 popular series they have and will learn from their mistake of letting a hack like Hayashi and whoever the director of NG3 was lead the development of such an important series, and either higher a more talented lead developer to make the next NG game, OR outsource the next NG game to a developer that is talented in making hack n' slash based action games, which means they'd essentially have to either outsource NG4 to Platinum (and I doubt they'd actually be interested in working on an NG game, to be honest), or Itagaki (who I KNOW is not interested in working on another NG game, and even if he was he wouldn't do any favors for Tecmo after how badly they pissed him off).

So, yeah, the Ninja Gaiden series is pretty much screwed in terms of getting any sequels, or if it does they will either be poor or have to be on a much smaller scale and probably be XBLA/PSN or handheld spin-offs (which in its own way could be a GREAT thing for the series IF it actually had talented and creative developers behind it, but of course that's no longer the case), but most likely the series will now die a sad and meaningless death like it did back with the NES era NG games, but hopefully just like NG on the XBOX resurrected the series with a bang, maybe someday a decade or so in the future the series can once again be revived by a talented developer who has a great respect for old-school gaming. Sadly, with the direction gaming has been moving in this generation, if things continue this way and with this mind-set, than the Ninja Gaiden series is pretty much doomed to fade into obscurity in almost no time at all. In that regard, I can't really even blame Hayashi and Team Ninja for that since I felt that this was bound to happen regardless of how NG3 turned out to be, but making an absolutely horrid NG game in an attempt to cater to a mainstream audience only added in that extra nail into the coffin and pretty much confirmed the death of this series. At least of NG3 was good enough fans would have supported it to get at least a couple more sequels out of the series before it finally died out. With this we now end the NG series on an extremely low note.

gunswordfist

Yeah, Chapter 9 was a pain in the ass. After going through that long ass tunnel multiple times my strategy of using the chain weapon because its UT plays out even when a target isn't hit and having that bitchass worm run into it finally worked. I did appreciate all the Essence I got. I got to upgrade 2 weapons I believe after the tunnel and I think one more a little later on and then I believe after that Chapter from left over Essence. Before that, it was life having a budget where you afford to also have your girlfriend eat when you go to a restaurant. It's been forever since I upgraded because everything went towards healing items (not including the too expensive rebirth whatsitcallit) with the occasional purchase of arrows and incendiary shuriken. After that I had everything and all my weapons were upgraded at least once with a few max outs in there.

I loved Chapter 10. Best parts where the army of ninjas coming down the stairs and when they winged demon ran through the door the second I opened the door after a save point/shop part. I was like "WTH?!" Elizebet was really easy. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, chapter 10 is awesome, with the exception of that lame acid-cave section. The whole chapter was full of tough enemies from start to finish and the staircase battle with the hundred ninjas charging down at you was nothing short of epic. Elizabet is easy on Acolyte and Warrior, but she's a real bitch on Mentor and Master Ninja, to the point of just being plain not fun to fight.

As for chapter 11, its also an awesome chapter provided you play the game on the harder difficulties (the way it was meant to be played), and are actually pretty good at the game. The enemy carnage that occurs in that level is still unrivaled by any other game that I've played.

Chapter 12 is another pain in the ass chapter, though not as bad as chapter 9, and chapter 13 is kind of cool for free-forming potential, but aside from that its a pretty bland and uninspired chapter that's really just nothing but enemy gauntlets followed by small waves of enemies one after another. Chapter 14 is also pretty weak, honestly, with the only really cool boss fight being Fiend Genshin and the 1st form of the Archfiend. Elizabet is still no fun to fight, The Archfiend form 2 is a pretty "meh" final boss, and Dagra Dai is a cheap-ass motherfucker.

gunswordfist

I actually really like Chapter 12 and 13. Archfiend's first form is pissing me off though. I believe I finally figured out a strategy for it but after like 30 deaths, the game is getting a break from me until tomorrow.