Story in Games

Started by talonmalon333, April 27, 2012, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Dead To Rights Retribution has an embarrassingly depressing grim-dark story that ruins the cheesy tone it should have had and is really the only blemish I had with the game.

Which is sad because it was actually an otherwise pretty good B-tier arcade style action game that would have actually benefited from having no story or an extremely funny over-the-top 80s action movie one in the background.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I wish more games were purposefully silly, like Blood Dragon and RE4. Serious game stories can be good in the right hands, but often they just come across as annoyingly grim.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 30, 2013, 07:59:29 PM
I haven't beat it yet (I was on the cemetary sniper flashback) but Max Payne 3 has got to be the most depressing game ever. I honestly think they'd have to do a prequel or reboot next because Max pretty much should become a vegetable due to emotional shock if he experiences anything else as remotely sad as the events in that game.
Yeah, I wish the game had more of Remedy's trademark humor in it. Max Payne 3 is really depressing, especially coming off of the often hilarious Max Payne 2.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2013, 08:05:29 PM
Dead To Rights Retribution has an embarrassingly depressing grim-dark story that ruins the cheesy tone it should have had and is really the only blemish I had with the game.

Which is sad because it was actually an otherwise pretty good B-tier arcade style action game that would have actually benefited from having no story or an extremely funny over-the-top 80s action movie one in the background.
To add to this, there was that horde style mode they had which was like a score attack that was probably the highlight of the game for not having anything to do with the lame story and just dealing with the mixed beat em up/third person shooter gameplay and finding out the best places to use each.

Launching it at full price $60 and giving it such a dopey story were the only real issues I had with it. Had they made it a budget release with a silly and cheesy story would have probably done wonders for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Having been playing Chrono Trigger again lately, I'm reminded of when JRPG stories had the ability to lighten up a little and not take themselves so seriously.

gunswordfist

I am actually not complaining about MP3's story. I like it. I just think there's no way Max can go through anything that massively depressing again. I do agree that the game needs more humor, now that that's been brought up. It does have its parts like when Max made fun of everyone at the beginning ("With your European education and cocaine diet")  :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 30, 2013, 10:19:30 PM
I am actually not complaining about MP3's story. I like it. I just think there's no way Max can go through anything that massively depressing again. I do agree that the game needs more humor, now that that's been brought up. It does have its parts like when Max made fun of everyone at the beginning ("With your European education and cocaine diet")  :D
I also really enjoyed the story, I just missed the humor Remedy brought to the table. :P Though yeah, there were some funny lines throughout.

Rynnec

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 30, 2013, 08:14:57 PM
Having been playing Chrono Trigger again lately, I'm reminded of when JRPG stories had the ability to lighten up a little and not take themselves so seriously.

There are plenty of current-gen JRPG's out there with a light-tone and plenty of humour from what I've seen. Now, whether said humour is actually funny is another matter entirely.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on July 30, 2013, 10:45:00 PM

There are plenty of current-gen JRPG's out there with a light-tone and plenty of humour from what I've seen. Now, whether said humour is actually funny is another matter entirely.

I suppose I haven't really played many recent JRPGs.  >_<

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on July 30, 2013, 10:45:00 PM

Star Ocean 4 would be amazing if you weren't meant to take it seriously.

GaryPotter

Even Xenogears, as long-winded and dark as it was, had it's fair share of silly moments. Specifically Chu-Chu, the sandcruiser, and that dumb stuff with the orphans. There were moments that could legitimately make you smile. Then VIII came out and started a long line of JRPGs being SRS BIZZ NASS.

Spark Of Spirit

The first time I stopped having fun with a Final Fantasy game. It was like, "Let's take Cloud, make him even more of a jerk, and give him no redeeming qualities."

Because even Cloud stopped being jerkish after Midgar. Squall never stops being an idiot.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

"Rinoa... Even if you become the world's enemy, I'll be your knight."

Squall wasn't bad. He does have redeeming qualities. The reason he was anti-social was because of how hurt he was by being left alone after Ellone disappeared from his like when he was young.

gunswordfist

mother 3's final boss fight is the saddest a game has ever made me feel. max payne 3 is 2nd from what i've played (up to the cemetary sniper), even though the game made me feel depressed more than anything.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody