Super Smash Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Here's a trick to beating the 100 hit combo challenge.

Very handy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

The Wii U version is confirmed to be out November 21st. That's right, barely a month away and we get more Smash. I still can't believe it.

In other news, if you hold L while going into the Game Boy stage, you'll get a Game Boy Pocket-style white tint on the screen instead of green. Awesome little trick.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Good, because I think I'm over this version. Smash belongs on a television screen. I feel like I've paid $40 for an appetizer. The screen's too small for this much action. The circle pad makes it feel like the characters aren't doing what I want them to half the time, and I'm totally understanding how people have managed to break the thing off. The new stages are nice, but I don't really like the reused one, and the soundtrack feels kind of gimped.

It's still a good game, has a lot of fun gameplay modes, but I think once the Wii U disc goes in the console, I won't be looking back at this one ever again.

(And yes this is a "salty" post because I just let unlocking Falco slip through my fingers because the fucking circle pad doesn't feel responsiveaaarrgggeemdmodmdsnfohfusihofsoei)

Spark Of Spirit

I'm liking that all the characters seem to be good this time. There's no Melee Kirby or Brawl Captain Falcon type of nerf in play.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 07, 2014, 11:34:52 PM(And yes this is a "salty" post because I just let unlocking Falco slip through my fingers because the fucking circle pad doesn't feel responsiveaaarrgggeemdmodmdsnfohfusihofsoei)
For some reason the AI gets incredibly aggressive and nasty when you're trying to unlock characters. I think they're harder to beat than level 9s. No idea why Sakurai did that. It's just mean.

Dr. Insomniac

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 08, 2014, 12:13:33 AM
I'm liking that all the characters seem to be good this time. There's no Melee Kirby or Brawl Captain Falcon type of nerf in play.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 07, 2014, 11:34:52 PM(And yes this is a "salty" post because I just let unlocking Falco slip through my fingers because the fucking circle pad doesn't feel responsiveaaarrgggeemdmodmdsnfohfusihofsoei)
For some reason the AI gets incredibly aggressive and nasty when you're trying to unlock characters. I think they're harder to beat than level 9s. No idea why Sakurai did that. It's just mean.

Getting the team that worked on Tekken must've been a big relief for the team. Those guys definitely did a great job making sure the cast was as well rounded as they are despite the size.

That AI seems to only exist when unlocking characters or taking on the highest difficulty in Classic Mode. I went through the highest with Rosalina today and I lost one stock in nearly every stage. I couldn't even get the Master Core without the Hands knocking me out once.

Kiddington

I dunno guys; I'm having fun with it, but I'm inclined to agree that this is just the appetizer for the main course. For starters I still find this final roster a bit puzzling; look, I don't have any problem with Fire Emblem, they're cool games, but did we really need 4 reps from that series alone? It just doesn't really feel as universal to me as Mario or Zelda or Pokemon; they'd have been better off keeping the Climbers in (still not buying that lame emulation excuse btw). Then of course, stupid shit like Wii Fit Trainer goes without saying. And yeah, I'm finding the soundtrack to be a bit drab so far as well. The Paper Mario mix was nice (although they cut out the best part of the Rogueport theme for whatever reason), but I find a lot of these tracks to be largely unmemorable. Ehn.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 08, 2014, 12:13:33 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. This is seriously pissing me off, and probably the one major drawback I can find thus far. I about broke my 3DS in half trying to unlock Lucina earlier. Like, why? A lot of us (including myself, full disclosure), aren't fucking pros at these games, you shouldn't have to be sparring with a near-max difficulty opponent just to unlock new characters. Ugh, anyway.

..........hmmm yeah, so that is kiiiiind of a lot of complaining on my part. Don't get me wrong guys, I still like it! It's cool to finally have a handheld smash, and some of the new additions like the Koopalings are pretty sweet. Now I just need to unlock Duck Hunt Dog and see if the hype is truly real.  :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

Some of the best tracks are Smash Run exclusive. For instance those killer Mega Man remix tracks of Air Man and Spark Man. But come on, you guys can't tell me the Super Mario 3D Land / Beach Theme remix isn't great? It's one of my favorite remixes ever in Smash. The Rainbow Road, Mario 3, and Mega Man 2 medleys are great too, as is Pac-Man's Park / Block Town. Then there's the glorious Dark World / Dark World Dungeon remix that is probably my favorite Zelda smash theme, though the Spirit Tracks theme is pretty awesome too, and I don't think I have to mention Gerudo Valley.

Musically there are a few tracks I would have preferred than what we got. No Yoshi's Island theme for Yoshi's Island (we get the terrible Yoshi Story music instead), no Gangplank Galleon instead how about Kongo Jungle for the fourth time? Also Live and Learn does not fit on Green Hill at all, they should have used Green Hill Classic and Green Hill Modern from Generations.

Disappointing tracks, unfortunately there are a few. Try, Try Again is a horrible smash song, it doesn't fit at all. The new Green Greens remix is another boring and slow version, the speed is half the fun of the song. Mute City is the ONLY F-Zero music? The Mother songs don't work for Smash Bros at all unlike the Bein' Friends and Fourside remixes from Melee and all the Mother 3 remixes from Brawl. Not to say I don't like the themes, but they don't work for a fighting game. Boring Pikmin tracks and predictable Punch-Out themes are also a bit disappointing.

I'm sure the Wii U version will have better selections, but the 3DS music could have been better, I think.

Kiddington

I suppose I'd be remiss not to mention Gerudo Valley, but my point still stands; with a few exceptions, I'm finding the soundtrack to be largely underwhelming. Just as an example; I could've lived with the original Try Try Again, but the new mix stinks. Like don't get me wrong, there are good tracks here and by no means am I saying this is a terrible soundtrack, but I find Melee and Brawl to be a lot better in that regard; the fact that most of the tracks I gravitate towards are recycled from those games speaks volumes to me.

Live and Learn is probably my least favorite song in the game though. I just cannot get into the vocalized music from Sonic, it all sucks as far as I'm concerned. Why they brought that one back is highly puzzling.

Rynnec

Quote from: Kiddington on October 08, 2014, 07:40:40 PM
Live and Learn is probably my least favorite song in the game though. I just cannot get into the vocalized music from Sonic, it all sucks as far as I'm concerned. Why they brought that one back is highly puzzling.

:devil:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Kiddington on October 08, 2014, 07:40:40 PMLive and Learn is probably my least favorite song in the game though. I just cannot get into the vocalized music from Sonic, it all sucks as far as I'm concerned. Why they brought that one back is highly puzzling.

They brought it back because your opinion is wrong. :>

Spark Of Spirit

I forgot to mention that the Trainer Battle Remix from Pokemon X & Y might now be my favorite Pokemon Smash theme. So dynamic. Apparently Yuzo Koshiro remixed it.

By the way, a trick for getting far in Home Run, pick Ganondorf and try three uncharged forward smashes, then four or five forward tilts followed by a reverse warlock punch. I just did it and got 4754.2 ft.

EDIT: Just got 635 KOs in Endless Smash abusing the Dr. Tornado. Yes, it is an awesome move.

Kiddington

I noticed something earlier while trying to unlock characters; I think the more times you fail, the easier the AI gets. I lost about 3-4 times (yeah yeah, I know) while trying to unlock Duck Hunt Dog, and the AI felt ridiculously high on the first 4, but then on the 5th match it seemed incredibly easy for whatever reason. Like I don't know if it's just me, but on that 5th match he was barely attacking me at all. I dunno, maybe I just got lucky, or maybe that is the secret after all; just keep losing enough times.  :awesome:

Quote from: Rynnec on October 08, 2014, 08:12:06 PM
:devil:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 08, 2014, 08:21:30 PM
They brought it back because your opinion is wrong. :>

:bleh:

Avaitor

"Live and Learn" is cheesy as fuck, but in a fun, kinda awesome way. There are far worse 3D-era Sonic songs they could have used.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on October 09, 2014, 12:39:05 AM
"Live and Learn" is cheesy as fuck, but in a fun, kinda awesome way. There are far worse 3D-era Sonic songs they could have used.
BTW, his reveal trailer theme was Sonic Heroes.

So there's that.