Super Smash Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Cloud is in Super Smash Bros. Wow. I know FFVII is the most popular Final Fantasy, but I'm not quite sure why he was specifically chosen especially since none of his games have EVER been on a Nintendo system. That said, the Midgar stage looks cool and it has the FFVII battle music which is always really cool.

It's no Crono, but there's your Square Enix rep.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

This is game little Dax wanted when he was young. Now you just need Crash Bandicoot or Spyro to appear and we're golden.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 12, 2015, 04:49:36 PM
I know FFVII is the most popular Final Fantasy, but I'm not quite sure why he was specifically chosen especially since none of his games have EVER been on a Nintendo system.
Theatrhythm. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 12, 2015, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 12, 2015, 04:49:36 PM
I know FFVII is the most popular Final Fantasy, but I'm not quite sure why he was specifically chosen especially since none of his games have EVER been on a Nintendo system.
Theatrhythm. ;)
That's not his game, though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this. Final Fantasy VII is one of the most important video games of all time and Final Fantasy deserved representation in Smash Bros. I'm just surprised Cloud made it in. Much as I would have preferred Black Mage, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Locke, or even Zidane, it's pretty obious why Cloud was chosen. At the very least it wasn't Squall, Lightning, or Tidus.

On the other hand, I bet the Assist trophy will probably be the guys from Final Fantasy XV. Though I'm almost certain after this deal that it is probably going to come out for the NX, so they would be fine with me.

Disappointment here will be if the stage only has FFVII remixes. Even if the stage is Midgar, a remix of the FFVI opening credit theme is imperative. Hopefully also a medley of FF battle themes (like IX's) is in there as well.

Anyone worried about this being the SE rep should probably quell their fears, though. After Mega Man and Ryu, there is nothing preventing another SE character like Geno, Crono, or a Dragon Quest character from making it in.

As long as it's not Sora.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

As long as they're including SE characters who never had Nintendo games, I want to see a Nier rep in Smash Bros. ;)

And hopefully this means they'll take Phil Spencer up on his offer and add Banjo...

Spark Of Spirit

Banjo being added would have to have major incentive. Throw in BK, BT, and the GBA game on the eshop and we'd probably have more of a chance of it happening.

We still have to see who the ballot character is, but at this point I'm fairly certain K. Rool won that. If he isn't added I'll be very surprised.

Foggle

Real talk, Cloud was probably only added to advertise the FF7 remake, which will almost certainly get an NX port.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 12, 2015, 08:07:50 PM
Real talk, Cloud was probably only added to advertise the FF7 remake, which will almost certainly get an NX port.
I think you're half-right on that.

The other half is because there is no Final Fantasy character as popular as him and it's Square-Enix's flagship series worldwide.

There had to be a reason Nintendo went straight for Cloud when Sony couldn't even get him for All-Stars. There are a lot of other characters they could have went for. The only reason I could think of is because they're getting the FFVII remake for the NX just like they teased with the next Dragon Quest game.

Foggle

Yeah, Cloud is probably the most recognizable Square Enix character.

As for actual Nintendo-related SE characters, I hope they eventually add someone from Bravely Default. Akihiko Yoshida's art is so damn good and should never be confined to chibis.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still holding out hope for Crono. As much as Square likes burying CT, and being so obscure with it, (you can't even name the main character "Crono" in Chrono Cross, for literally no reason) he is one of their most popular characters by far.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

I'll be worried when Goku is confirmed.

Nel_Annette

Kojima's tweet is the best.

Avaitor

Wouldn't Sephiroth at least be tied with Cloud for most iconic Square character, though?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 12, 2015, 09:37:23 PM
I'll be worried when Goku is confirmed.

I personally would not be adverse to a Smash Brothers vs. J-Stars game.