"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So who do you think gets your vote for Best Avenger? Let's only stick to the six in the movie for now.

It's funny, although Hawkeye is my favorite in the comics, I can't say the same about him in the movieverse. I think it's because he's had the least amount of screentime so far (even Black Widow had a subplot in Iron Man 2; before Avengers, all Clint had was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in Thor), although I will attest that whenever he's fighting in the film, he is a total badass. I might have to slide with Thor for now. I really liked his development in his movie, and he still had a lot of great moments in Avengers.

If I had to be fair, I'd say that Captain America had the strongest character development throughout his appearances, Iron Man is the most fun, Black Widow was the most improved overall, and Hulk was the most epic in the battlegrounds. I think Thor has a little bit of everything, myself, which is why I side with him.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me it has to be Captain America. As you mentioned, he had the most development in this movie by far (well, I'd argue that Bruce Banner may have been on par with him, but they both got a lot of focus, either way), and I just like how he managed to prove his relevance in the team without any super powers like Thor or the Hulk or high-tech machinery like Iron Man. True, Black Widow and Hawkeye didn't have superpowers either and they were definitely proven relevant, but lets face it, the Cap got WAY more screen-time than the both of them combined, so naturally its easier to get more familiar with his character in this film (especially since he was the last avenger to have his own film before this movie....which is ironic considering that he's the "first" Avenger ;) ). I also liked how he acted like a leader towards the end of the film and relegated everyone to their proper strategic positions during the final battle in the film. I mean, the dude actually gave orders to Thor, a demi-god, for crying out loud. How many other heroes can get away with doing that? :thumbup:

Also, if you count "smash" as an order, that would technically mean he ordered around The Hulk as well, which is just beyond insanely bad-ass. :D

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, pretty much. Captain America did really well for himself here. But then again, I thought his movie was the best of the others, too.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

My vote goes to Iron Man for his high-tech and his entertainment value alone. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark. It's not wonder RDJ plays the role so well. I thought that the others did well also, though. I even enjoyed Bruce Banner in the movie!
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I might as well change my vote to Hawkeye. Jeremy Renner does a great job either way, and he's badass in every action sequence he gets.

I've also been thinking, if they want to do a Nick Fury movie showing his earlier day at SHIELD, they might have to find someone younger to play Fury. Sam Jackson's too old to be able to pull off some of the crazy missions Fury did back in the day. They can bring him back in a flash-forward at the end, but otherwise, it'd be too weird.

And I don't think we'd ever get a Howlin' Commandos movie. That part of Fury's history seems to be forgotten, and they'd have to change it from WWII to like the Gulf War or something.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd be fine with a SHIELD movie that gives plenty of focus to Fury, Hawkeye and Black Widow. Despite not having as big a role in this film as the main stars, I could still say that Jeremy Renner did a fantastic job as Hawkeye from what I I saw of him, though I'm saying that strictly going by the film since of course I have no idea how this interpretation of the character compares to the comics.

Avaitor

He's a lot more wiley in the comics. I think the cartoon does a good job with a more literal interpretation of Hawkeye, but I do really like his more toned-down approach in the movie.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I heard somewhere that he was originally a villain in the comics. Is that why the movie had as a villain (sort of) for the first 2 acts of the film? I think that might be why people say he was underused, since we only got to see him as a hero in the final act, but honestly we still did get to see him through a good few chunks of the film, and he had plenty of bad-ass moments to himself, even when working under the control of Loki.

Avaitor

Yeah, it's funny, he faced Iron Man a few times as a villain before reforming... and taking Iron Man's place in the Avengers during the first team change-up.

New blog!

Avaitor

Word on the street is that a Ms. Marvel script has been completed. If it's true, Goldstar might just get his wish. I think that she'd make for a great addition myself, and I'm especially optimistic for the possibility to see how a female super hero film will turn out. The fairer sex always gets the shaft when it comes to things like this, and hopefully this film will prove to people that not only can female super heroes hold their own, but make for just as interesting characters as their male counterparts. The positive reception for Black Widow is a step in the right direction, but she still doesn't have a film of her own.

And it's also been reported that Edgar Wright might finally finish that Ant-Man film of his. Another good call if true, since if anyone should've been added into the universe at this point, it's Hank Pym.

Another character I'd really like to see added in is Mockingbird. They could introduce her in any given film and it'd make sense. Captain America 2 would work well since one of her earliest missions was to find a replicate of the serum that gave Steve Rogers his super strength, and Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 might just have room. And if they do make a Hawkeye or Shield film, that'd be perfect, so they can show off her ties to Clint and the agency.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Sucks that the Jessica Jones pilot got canned though. Now that was an Avenger I wanted to see on screen.

Avaitor

The rerelease is totally happening, starting tomorrow and lasting for about a week.

I'm actually going tomorrow, because I want my mom to see it and this would be the only chance I get to have her go.

New blog!

Foggle

Nice. Hopefully I'll get to see it this time.

Avaitor

If you can't, remember that the DVD/Blu is coming out in a couple of weeks.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 03, 2012, 07:54:08 PM
Though admittedly, there are a lot strikes against the movie. Like how Jack Kirby's family won't make any money out of it, how it's basically a 2-hour commercial to sell toys and fuel sequels, how Edward Norton didn't come back, and plenty more.
Why didn't he come back?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody