"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'll just say that Thor was surprisingly good. I didn't think it would work at all, but when I saw it made perfect sense.

The only one they can't seem to nail is the Hulk. This is already the third version of the character. He's had more reboots than the Punisher in film form.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

If you've seen those Shakespeare films that Branagh made years ago, you can expect Thor to be like that but with superheroes.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on May 03, 2012, 07:52:59 PM
Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 03, 2012, 07:50:10 PM
Huh, I would have pegged you to be a fan of Loki's character myself. I always thought that Deadpool took some inspiration from him.
I honestly have no idea who you're talking about. Like I've said before, I'm a complete Marvel noob. Aside from DP and Spider-Man, I don't know anything about their characters outside of the movies.

You need to change that, then. Check out the Surtur Saga.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 03, 2012, 07:54:08 PM
Jack Kirby's family won't make any money out of it
Aww, what? That's terrible. :srs:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 03, 2012, 07:55:48 PM
I'll just say that Thor was surprisingly good. I didn't think it would work at all, but when I saw it made perfect sense.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 03, 2012, 07:57:16 PM
If you've seen those Shakespeare films that Branagh made years ago, you can expect Thor to be like that but with superheroes.
So it's safe to say that the trailers were just bad? I'll give it a look if so.

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 03, 2012, 08:00:12 PM

You need to change that, then. Check out the Surtur Saga.
Is it funny? I have a hard time focusing on comics unless they make me laugh. :imnothappy:

Avaitor

Not really, but it does contain one of the best lines in all of comics.

"For Asgard!"
"For Midgard!"
"For myself!"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The trailers were boring, but the movie itself was quite good.

You should get on Captain America too. Of the "big three" of the Avengers, I think his movie was probably the best one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm probably the only person who kind of liked The Incredible Hulk. It wasn't a very good movie, true, but it was entertaining for what it was, IMO. At any rate, I'd easily watch it over Iron Man 2 any day. Sorry, but the more I have watched Iron Man 2, the more I have grown to dislike it. I didn't want to admit it when I first saw it, but the movie really does suck. It completely misses the point of what made the first Iron Man so great. Hopefully Iron Man 3 is a return to form for the series.

As for Thor, I thought it was good. The trailers turned me off as well, but the actual movie was decent. I don't find it to be great by any stretch, but I would genuinely be interested in watching the sequel whenever that comes out.

I really liked Captain America. I've found that comic book nerds seem to dislike the movie for rushing too much through the Captain's back-story just so that it could lead up to the events of the The Avengers movie, which even I could tell was true, but even so I just really enjoyed the movie and the character, and I look forward to seeing him again in the Avengers, and in his own sequel film whenever we end up getting that.

Daxdiv

I loved this movie. The action scenes were handled pretty well, every Avenger got a chance to shine, and I still love Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk. Really liking Hulk's new actor. Yep, Hulk did steal the show near the end of the movie during the final battle between Loki's army and  the Avengers.

Avaitor

I'll write more about it when I wake up, but let me just say that it did not disappoint.

If you want more incentive to see it, let me just say this- this is on the level of The Dark Knight. Joss nailed it.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm glad to hear it! I'll be seeing this in a few hours.

Avaitor

Why this was great:

-The characters were handled perfectly, both in terms of their previous movie appearances and from the comics. Iron Man is as hilarious as ever, Thor and Fury are thankfully epic, Cap and Bruce Banner are rightfully angsty without being too wishy-washy. I was also really impressed with Black Widow, considering how ambivalent she left me in Iron Man 2. Hawkeye and Maria Hill were also handled quite well, if a little underdeveloped. I also loved seeing Agent Coulson get humanized a little. Not to mention that the interactions were great.
-The fights. Oh man, the fights. The finale is rightfully epic, but besides that, there's a really great takedown between Cap, Iron Man and Thor.
-Excellent comic relief. I loved the humor in the Iron Mans and Thor (when Kat Dennings wasn't involved, at least), but this was even funnier than any of them. I do have to give Whedon credit for not relying too much on making fish out of water jokes with Thor and Captain America, but the few we got were good.
-Hulk smashed, all right. Did he smash.

Seriously, this was incredible. Easily one of the best popcorn flicks ever made.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I agree, it was a lot of fun. Joss Whedon balanced everything out really well giving everyone a good amount of moments to shine. Which with such a large cast is pretty incredible. Not to mention the Hulk being pure CG wasn't as distracting as it was in the Hulk movies since he was barely on center screen. All in all, probably one of the best superhero movies period.Good going, Mr. Whedon.

The best line was "He's adopted."

Avaitor

Mine was "His first name is Agent".

I also swear that Banner Hulked out earlier in this movie than he did in the 2003 film.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just got back from seeing the movie....

....Yeah, I think any superhero movie coming out this year is in trouble. Nothing's going to top this for a while. Most epic film I've seen in years.

I'd say more, but you guys pretty much nailed all of the points as to why this film is all kinds of awesome.

If I had to pick a favorite hero based on this film alone, I must say that Captain America was definitely the character that I enjoyed seeing the most, but really I think every hero got their rightful respect in this movie.

And yes, this is easily the best movie iteration of the Hulk to date. I'm one of the few who actually liked The Incredible Hulk, for the record, but this film was easily a better Hulk film than even that....and its not even a Hulk film. :D

This is one of those rare movies that I really wanted to see again right after I got done with it, and I would have, too! The only problem was that I went to the last screening of the night, so I had no choice but to walk out of the theater. :(