"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 02:20:49 PM
That may be the point, but there still wasn't a high enough flying metal space whale to superhero bickering ratio for my taste. :P

So in other words you want a Michael Bay movie. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 14, 2012, 02:25:01 PM
So in other words you want a Michael Bay movie. :>
I think I was subconsciously expecting and wanting one. :happytime: Seriously though, the action scenes were fucking awesome. I didn't much care for the first act, but I liked the rest a lot. Not as much as everyone else did obviously, but it's still one of the best superhero films I've seen, right behind TDK and TDKR.

Foggle

Oh, also, the post-credits scene with all the heroes eating fast food was by far the highlight of this year in cinema.

Avaitor

My friends and I are still planning a swaharma date.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 02:20:49 PM
That may be the point, but there still wasn't a high enough flying metal space whale to superhero bickering ratio for my taste. :P
All that needs to be said here.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 02:47:25 PM
Oh, also, the post-credits scene with all the heroes eating fast food was by far the highlight of this year in cinema.
What? I've never seen that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 02:15:14 AM
I expected better from Joss Whedon.
I didn't, and was quite surprised!

But I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from watching all three movies for each hero and understanding where they all come from. It makes the conflicts they have a lot more interesting and fun to watch. I also agree with ensatsu-ken that Captain America was an awesome movie that should really be watched, and helps his conflicts with Iron Man make more sense when you get where he comes from. Thor is great too, but to a lesser extent.

I might be in the minority, but I thought the action scenes at S.H.I.E.L.D. were the best parts of the movie. There was just so much going on, and it was all really fun to watch happen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It's funny though, I know a lot of people who came into the movie completely blind and fell in love regardless. Like my mom, who had and still hasn't seen any of the films.

Another thing I really liked about the film was that Maria Hill wasn't an incompetent shrew like she is in the comics and cartoon, and is actually kinda likable. She's mostly Fury's second-hand, but Cobie's such a fun actress that it's hard to not like her.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I barely remember her in the movie because her part was so small. Either way, I was surprised to see her in the film at all. Maria was created in the 00s unlike all the other much older characters in the film, right?

Dr. Insomniac

...yeah, if I didn't know who Maria Hill was, I'd be like, "Oh hey, it's Robin. That's cool, I guess." and nothing else.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 15, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
I barely remember her in the movie because her part was so small. Either way, I was surprised to see her in the film at all. Maria was created in the 00s unlike all the other much older characters in the film, right?
Yeah, she's a very recent character. Her first appearance was only in 2005, and she didn't really gain prominence until Civil War.

I'm surprised that they even added Hill in the movie at all, since her main purpose in the comics and cartoon is to have the super heroes outed and register, when pretty much all of the Avengers already either are one or the other. I guess they just wanted another member of S.H.I.E.L.D. to help around, and didn't feel like creating another original character like Coulson.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on December 15, 2012, 10:38:34 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 15, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
Yeah, she's a very recent character. Her first appearance was only in 2005, and she didn't really gain prominence until Civil War.

I'm surprised that they even added Hill in the movie at all, since her main purpose in the comics and cartoon is to have the super heroes outed and register, when pretty much all of the Avengers already either are one or the other. I guess they just wanted another member of S.H.I.E.L.D. to help around, and didn't feel like creating another original character like Coulson.
I wonder if they'll actually make her S.H.I.E.L.D director. Seriously.

Also, I didn't know she was in any cartoon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I never read any of the comics, but I remember her from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She's a real bitch in that show, though she's intentionally written that way.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 15, 2012, 02:01:21 PM
I never read any of the comics, but I remember her from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She's a real bitch in that show, though she's intentionally written that way.
That's a word I'd use to describe her. She's in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 too and she's the same way in that too.

Avaitor

New blog!