"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 06, 2012, 10:03:11 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 06, 2012, 10:01:07 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 06, 2012, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 06, 2012, 09:58:12 PM
If I have any gripe about the film its that Whedon's head scratching decision to use 1.78:1. Makes it look like a tv movie compared to the solo films.
Well, he's a TV director. Hard for old dogs to get used to new leashes.
Serenity was in Scope.
All right, then he has no excuse. :thinkin:
Well it comes off on the trade off being a substantially better movie.  :sly:

Seriously though, that's definitely something you guys would notice over me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Avengers better than Serenity? I have to see it now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked Serenity quite a lot, for the record (and I've never seen Firefly, so I could judge serenity without being a fan of the show). While I thought Serenity was great, this movie just blew my mind. Yeah, in terms of "best" superhero movie I would have to say The Dark Knight is still the reigning champion, but this movie is by far the most entertaining film in the genre that I have seen to date. I'd easily rank it within my top 50 favorite films of all time. Yeah, its a popcorn flick, but its the best damn fucking blockbuster I've ever seen, and probably ever will see for a long time to come.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 06, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
Avengers better than Serenity? I have to see it now.
This is one of the best superhero movies. I'd say it's up there with The Dark Knight, X2,  Captain America, and the original Superman. Which are my personal favorites.

Looks like I now have a pretty clear top 5!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I've never really been big on superhero movies. I loved Kick-Ass, though; brilliant comedy.

But from what you guys say, it sounds like I'll really enjoy Avengers. Hopefully I'll get to see it with some of my mates before it leaves theaters.

Dr. Insomniac

To tell the truth, my favorite superhero movies end up deviating from being superhero movies. I like TDK because it manages to be a crime thriller where the detective just happens to dress up as a bat, First Class since it's like a 007 flick with mutants, and so on.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 06, 2012, 10:36:27 PM
To tell the truth, my favorite superhero movies end up deviating from being superhero movies. I like TDK because it manages to be a crime thriller where the detective just happens to dress up as a bat, First Class since it's like a 007 flick with mutants, and so on.
Is that why you enjoy Steel? Because it's a substandard Robocop rip off that happens to be about a superhero?  ;)

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 10:39:24 PM
Is that why you enjoy Steel? Because it's a substandard Robocop rip off that happens to be about a superhero?  ;)
Eh, Robocop itself is basically a superhero movie. Just happens to be darker.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 06, 2012, 10:40:16 PM
Does that mean Ichi The Killer is a superhero film?

Avaitor

Avengers and Serenity are completely different films, and hard to compare. I think that they're at the top of their respective genres, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on May 06, 2012, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 06, 2012, 10:40:16 PM
Does that mean Ichi The Killer is a superhero film?
Sure, why not?

Avaitor

Well if we wanna be technical, this is the best super hero movie of 'em all.

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Foggle, since we have similar taste in most other stuff, I think you would like The Avengers. That said, keep in mind that its awesomeness comes quite a bit from getting to see the individual heroes from their own movies team up in this one, so if you haven't seen all of the other Marvel superhero movies leading up to The Avengers then it might not mean quite as much to you. Even then, I still think you'd find it really entertaining (I saw it with a friend who had only seen Iron Man 1 and Thor, and he still loved the movie).

Really, though, while others have said that its essential to have seen ALL of the Marvel movies leading up to The Avengers, I have to disagree. I'd say that the only truly essential one would probably be Thor since it has the most bearing on the plot of The Avengers, what with Loki being the villain and all, but you definitely don't have to have seen Captain America and The Incredible Hulk to be able to enjoy The Avengers and understand what's going on, just so long as you have a little pre-knowledge that's enough to get the gist of each character.

Spark Of Spirit

You don't need to see Captain America, but I think you should. At the very least I think seeing Thor would be enough, but Captain America is a really good movie.

Avaitor

One of my friends actually hadn't seen any of the movies, or ANY Marvel movie for that matter, but she really enjoyed it.

New blog!