E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) 2012

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 04, 2012, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Pikmin 3 and NSMBU look fantastic. It felt like Nintendo had a lot to say, and they didn't have enough time for everything. Hence the Nintendo Direct on Sunday, the conference tonight, and the 3DS one tomorrow.

Tomorrow has a 3DS conference, so I can't wait to see that.

Easily the best conference, though. But they needed more time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 04, 2012, 09:54:43 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2012, 09:46:29 PM
Did you not see all those cutscenes? But I digress, I could have just said FPS and TPS games, would that be better?

Well, I haven't seen the Far Cry 3 demo myself, but honestly I should clarify that I don't count lots of cut-scenes as making a game into a movie game. Its when they try to make the gameplay feel like glorified cut-scenes as well that turns a game into a movie game. Non-interactive cut-scenes that only serve to further the game's story can always be ignored. I just hate it when they take control out of the player's hands in the game itself. That said, I have no idea what Far Cry 3's gameplay looks like

I will say that I'm not as against FPS and TPS games as most people on this board are by now, though. I'm just against how so many of them are turning into movie-games, which I flat-out don't care for. I love a good FPS or TPS that gives the player complete control and have excellent combat, AI, and strategy elements. I like them as much as any great platformer or adventure game. They take just as much creativity and talent to make, but its because they actually require effort that they are sadly all but dead at this point in this generation.
I could not agree more.

And Far Cry 3 only looked like a movie game when the bridge blew up in co-op but that's pushing it and probably doesn't even count and of course they could have just thrown that in for E3. The parts where the hero got stabbed and where the building caught on fire weren't movie moments at all. That's basically how cutscenes work for a FPS with an open world.
Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 05, 2012, 12:02:32 PM
Insomniac canceling Overstrike for a Cloverfield game.
Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

No.

You're joking.

Please tell me you're fucking joking.

Oh my god no.

:burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn:
Sega is also supposed to be doing a Kids Next Door game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 05, 2012, 12:20:21 PM
Sega is also supposed to be doing a Kids Next Door game.
:lol:

Too obvious, man.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Worst E3 ever. Cinematic shit, shooters everywhere, socializing the fuck out of games, and to top it off, Nintendo wanting a hardcore audience and then proceeding to reveal the exact same games they've been pushing on the Wii.

I'm just gonna bitch and moan despite looking forward to a few promising games.

talonmalon333

Maybe more'll be announced, but so far, Nintendo's E3 gets a D grade. A few cool things, but we already knew about them.

Looks like they're announcing something new soon, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Worst E3 still belongs to 2008.

We still have show floor demos and other Nintendo conferences to look forward to, but yeah, I'm done with the conferences.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Nintendo's 2008 presentation gets an F. Sony and Microsoft's get a D- this year, so I guess Nintendo still beat them. :P

Foggle

The conferences are almost always terrible. The only good one I can remember is Nintendo's in 2010 (I believe it was).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 12:34:01 PM
The conferences are almost always terrible. The only good one I can remember is Nintendo's in 2010 (I believe it was).

Nintendo's 2011 conference was decent. I'd give it a B, since I'm apparently grading E3s now.

Spark Of Spirit

Reggie just mentioned Platinum Games will be on Wii U during an interview on Spike.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 04, 2012, 11:29:38 PM
Catching up with E3 stuff.

Watch Dogs sounds really cool. Will have to keep my eye on that one.

Beyond looks fucking terrible. All the worst things about Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy rolled up into a ball and tossed to Ellen Page? Fuck no. FUUUUUUCK NOOOOOOOO.
Glad someone else liked Watch Dogs.

Also, WTF at Sam Fisher being able to do airstrikes. No, just no. :wth: But just like the execution moves that were also in Conviction, I'm going to end up using them anyway. Yeah, I know they'd make the game easier and non-stealthy but I think it's up to the developers to limit how powerful, not me. :D

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 12:36:41 PM
Reggie just mentioned Platinum Games will be on Wii U during an interview on Spike.
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now just confirm Grasshopper and I won't need any other consoles next gen. Well, maybe I'll buy a PS4 somewhere down the line for R&C and Yakuza, but not until it's reeeeeal cheap.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 12:40:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 12:36:41 PM
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now just confirm Grasshopper and I won't need any other consoles next gen. Well, maybe I'll buy a PS4 somewhere down the line for R&C and Yakuza, but not until it's reeeeeal cheap.
It's called P-100

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 11:17:38 AM
So the developers of NecroVisioN (awesome game!) are semi-rebooting Painkiller so that there can finally be a true sequel to the original. Can't fucking wait! (EDIT: Wait... this is a remake? Ugh. The original is already perfect! Hopefully quality sequels will follow.)

I love the art style. :)

Painkiller is a Doom style game right? This gen needs more shooters.