2D To 3D, 3D To 2D

Started by gunswordfist, May 07, 2012, 10:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Which 2D games do you want to see be turned into 3D and vice versa?

I still want to see Sonic Genesis games remade into 3D games with their level layouts kept the same. Nothing like a non-speed boost fest 3D Sonic game that keeps everything the 2D games did well.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Since Ratchet & Clank is my favorite 3D platformer, I'd love to see a 2D side-scrolling version. I don't know if it'd be as good as the console games, but I think it could be pulled off well.

Streets of Rage in 3D with the God Hand fighting system WHY HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET?

Metal Slug or Contra in 3D on the Vanquish engine WHY HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET?

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on May 07, 2012, 11:56:05 AM
Metal Slug or Contra in 3D on the Vanquish engine WHY HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET?
They've already tried both in 3D and the results were pretty abysmal. No new engine is going to change that fact.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 07, 2012, 11:59:46 AM
They've already tried both in 3D and the results were pretty abysmal. No new engine is going to change that fact.
That's because they didn't try hard enough. Vanquish is basically Metal Slug in 3D and it's one of the best TPS games ever made.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, I'd love a 2D spin on Devil May Cry. The combat system could still be as juggle-happy as ever but it would be interesting to see how it would differ if played in a 2D perspective for the entire game. For one thing, targeting would no longer be a requirement except for when you wanted to shoot enemies, but even the shooting mechanic could change if it was just on a 2D-plain.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 07, 2012, 12:12:35 PM
Personally, I'd love a 2D spin on Devil May Cry.
Have you played Shank? It's not as fast-paced, difficult, or stylish, but it's very similar to DMC in a lot of ways.

gunswordfist

Yeah, those games being fast paced TPS' would be great. 3D Hard Corps would fulfill all my dreams.

Before lunkhead gets here, I'll take all his thunder. I want 3D versions of all the good Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi games, as well as 3D Shadow Of The Ninja. There focus would be more on platforming, while most enemies take one/few hits to kill. Also, I've been dying to see the rock falling stages in two of the 2D Shinobi games done right in 3D. That could be great...if done right.

EDIT: Dammit, he's here!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

Well Shinobi 3DS sorta did do that, even if the game was more 2.5d than anything else.

Eddy

I'd love to see a Sonic Generations-like take on Mario by having the worlds of Classic Mario and Modern Mario combine. Classic Mario would have 2D stages and Modern Mario would have 3D stages.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 07, 2012, 12:45:56 PM
I'd love to see a Sonic Generations-like take on Mario by having the worlds of Classic Mario and Modern Mario combine. Classic Mario would have 2D stages and Modern Mario would have 3D stages.
That would be beautiful. :swoon:

Eddy

I could see it having stages from the following games:

Super Mario Bros. (probably 1-1)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA version)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island (you'd get Yoshi here)
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Land 3D

And if they really took from Sonic Generations and had three classic bosses it would be: Bowser from World, Bowser from 64, and Bowser from Galaxy 2.

Spark Of Spirit

You guys that want a 2D hack n slash and are not playing the Mega Man Zero games are killing me.

Quote from: Foggle on May 07, 2012, 12:00:47 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 07, 2012, 11:59:46 AM
That's because they didn't try hard enough. Vanquish is basically Metal Slug in 3D and it's one of the best TPS games ever made.
Well, other than the regenerating health thing. The problem is that you can't do games with one hit deaths in 3D because you cannot keep track of everything around you without getting cheapshotted a lot. A big part of the appeal of Contra to me is the intensity of avoiding certain death every second whether it be enemies or traps. The shooting is kind of a side-bonus. Vanquish was more about blowing things up with bigger things.

As for what I want? 2D Sonic & Mario team up. Classic Sonic and Classic 2D-art Mario rolling off half pipes into green pipes, and jumping off springs into floating question mark blocks.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

While the shooting is more than a side-bonus in Vanquish, a lot of the gameplay is actually pretty focused on the whole "dodging shit" aspect of shoot 'em ups. Especially on higher difficulties.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I get your point. But to me it felt more like a 3D Turrican game without a jump button.

I wish it had a jump button.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 07, 2012, 06:42:56 PM
But to me it felt more like a 3D Turrican game without a jump button.
Yeah, that might be more accurate. Though God Hard mode and the Challenge maps are BRUTAL. No amount of regenerating health will save you there, you gotta' be the dodge master to win.

QuoteI wish it had a jump button.
As do I, but the awesome rocket slide more than made up for it IMO. That never gets old.